This is not an April Fools Joke, this is real.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

Tom and Jerry litirally in the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. As in its the old Willy Wonka movie, remade in animation with Tom and Jerry shoehorned in.....yeah.

Can I just say it feels so weird seeing these old charcater designs from the Golden Age of Animation in crisp and clear 1080p High Definition?

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:

Tom and Jerry litirally in the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. As in its the old Willy Wonka movie, remade in animation with Tom and Jerry shoehorned in.....yeah.

Can I just say it feels so weird seeing these old charcater designs from the Golden Age of Animation in crisp and clear 1080p High Definition?

I saw this 2 weeks ago and made me roll my eyes. Gene Wilder passed away almost a year ago and this is just not a good idea. That and there are a few spots the animation looks pretty poor.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
"Gene Wilder is spinning so hard in his grave right now that he's digging to the center of the Earth." - a youtube comment

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Classic Tom and Jerry is probably the direct inspiration for The Simpson's "Itchy and Scratchy" show. It was quite violent compared to most cartoons these days.
Jerry would smash Tom's head in with a mallet frequently. You'd see him recoil from the hit. Then he'd laugh.
Now-a-days, you either see the violence censored with stars and explosive nonsense or they hit the camera in first-person-view and then you see the victim stumble implying he was hit.

I don't think it ever made anyone violent to see a cartoon get hit. It was slap-stick and it was cartoon. Seems like so many kids decided to have autism and parents told the TV to baby sit them to get life values from cartoons and the networks had to change what they would show on television. As a result, everyone was made worse. Even the highest quality stuff is watered down.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Charlie and the Chocolate factory involves children befalling violent ends in creative ways. Sounds like a good match to Tom & Jerry.

The trailer made it look like that is not the angle they are going for though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bedinsis said:
Charlie and the Chocolate factory involves children befalling violent ends in creative ways.
Wait, what?

Every one of the children bar Charlie suffers a mishap, but all of them are still alive by the end of the story.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hawki said:
Bedinsis said:
Charlie and the Chocolate factory involves children befalling violent ends in creative ways.
Wait, what?

Every one of the children bar Charlie suffers a mishap, but all of them are still alive by the end of the story.
"End" in this context meaning exit of the story. I'm not sure if I'm being honest right now or I'm just trying to cover my behind, but it was a poor word choice on my part.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This shouldn't suprised me, really it shouldn't!

I mean have you read what is the next installment for the Scooby Doo special

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scarim Coral said:

So, Mystery Inc. gets to encounter actual supernatural beings, and the protagonists of Supernatural get to encounter the proverbial Cerberus?

...seems legit.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Reminds me of when I was talking to a friend last night who said "2D animation is dying for a reason, never liked how it looked"

I miss 2D animated movies, and seeing this kind of stuff is... well, a bit heart breaking. I mean, beyond the whole boardroom executive thing, how did they think it's appealing? Sometimes two franchises coming together is great, but never have I thought while watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory "Golly, sure would be better if I had some Tom and Jerry in this".

... I need to go find some old Tom and Jerry episodes, think I'll watch them for a while.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
This is hardly the first fucking shitty Tom and Jerry movie they've done. But really, "Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory"? Why did this even exist as an idea?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Scarim Coral said:

To be fair at least it fits with the theme of Scooby Doo than Scooby Doo meets WWE and KISS :p

Hawki said:
Scarim Coral said:

So, Mystery Inc. gets to encounter actual supernatural beings, and the protagonists of Supernatural get to encounter the proverbial Cerberus?

...seems legit.
Scooby Doo and his gang hae faced real supernatural things before:

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
You're kidding me... this is a REAL product? This exists? They couldn't just let the original with Gene Wilder stand as what is it? Weird and pretty good (saw for Kids.)

WHY Tom and Jerry? I mean, WHY??

That's it I'm done!

(throws up hands and walks away from Planet Earth)

Of all the goddamn... (mutters)

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
Bedinsis said:
Wait, what?

The original film does not show them at all after their mishaps, leaving it open as to what happened (and most of them were things that could potentially be fatal), while the remake explicitly shows their all ok. No idea how the book handled it.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Anti-American Eagle said:
"Gene Wilder is spinning so hard in his grave right now that he's digging to the center of the Earth." - a youtube comment
Not to mention Roald Dahl himself, who hated Wilder's take on Willy Wonka - from which this is clearly lifted wholesale.

Why couldn't they just make a loose parody where Tom and Jerry themselves find a golden ticket (and fight over it), instead of just making them act as stowaways in an existing story that would very, very obviously have been better off without them?

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
I used to love Tom and Jerry, the cartoons that originally were once actually shown in theaters as features, just hilarious. But as time went and they have devolved from over the top cartoon slapstick to a very anti-Tex Avery cartoon. They have become boring, predictable, H.B has taken them to the pits of direct to video bin more times then I think Scooby Doo has been.

Am I surprised, no.... not really, after all Hanna-Barbera just seems just desperate to compete with better animation studios. Sure, Dexter's Lab, P.P girls and Johnny Bravo are remembered fondly. But for every one of those, a ton of low grade animation flood normally out of their studio. It's just part of the course I guess to keep the lights on.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Windknight said:
Hawki said:
Bedinsis said:
Wait, what?

The original film does not show them at all after their mishaps, leaving it open as to what happened (and most of them were things that could potentially be fatal), while the remake explicitly shows their all ok. No idea how the book handled it.
The book shows them leaving the factory, in various states. IIRC, Augustus Gloop is taller and thinner, the bubblegum-eating girl is normal sized but with a purple face, etc. So, marred by the experience, but still alive, and ready for the consolation prize of a lifetime supply of chocolate.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, this looks pretty bad. Then again, Tom & Jerry hasn't been exactly good in about a decade. The fact that they're still able to shell out this shit is just sad, mostly because it makes me want them to stop making Tom & Jerry altogether.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That animation just looks weird.

Do the kids even like Tom and Jerry anymore? And I say that as one of the youngest guys on here.