This is What Happens When a Videogame Leaks

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So this is an interesting read, but it is a bit deceptive imo.

Firstly they talk about how it hurts developers, which I don't think is true. It hurts marketing, it might hurt the perception of the game's final release, but it doesn't hurt the developers because they have nothing to do with any of that. They are simply creating what their told by the directors and team leaders, and they are paid for that. Whatever happens in the final product doesn't really hurt them, because it is rare to see individual animators, artists, programmers, even acknowledged being related to a game in the public eye. That's a spot reserved for the directors, leads, and publishers.

We know Kojima, but do we know who the lead programmer in Death's Stranding was (without looking it up), no. The same can be said about The Last of Us 2, nobody knows who any of those people are, and wont remember their names when they appear in whatever the next game they make is. All the problems will fall onto Neil Drunkman and Naughty Dog as a general entity, not the individual developer as implied here.

Secondly they talk about leaks being a part of the industry, and that's just kind of true. Fans of anything are rabid for any information they can find about their interests. This happens in the movie industry and comic book industry just as much (see the rumored for a long time and now finally confirmed Synder cut of Justice League). It's a part of what nerds do.

I don't think there has ever been a Blizzcon in which they've announced a game we didn't already know about. The difference is.....knowing about something and seeing it in action are two completely different things. You knew Blizzard was announcing Overwatch the year they did. But nobody knew what it was going to be in reality, and once they showed it off, people went crazy!

If anything Leaks help the game's industry because they keep the fan's appetite wet for whatever game is coming. It's very very very rare that something comes out from a leak and raises a shitload of red flags for people. The Last of Us 2 is the only leak I can remotely even remember that actively turned people off. 99% of the time a leak builds further hype for a game, and the official announcement gets even further fanfare because of it.

I think if the industry really had a problem with leaks then this last quote would be great advice, "Schreier argues that if video game publishers let developers be a little more transparent in their work, it might temper some of the more obsessive tendencies in the community." But really, they wont because what I've said above is correct, companies benefit far more than they are hurt from leaks most of the time. The hype an unofficial "secret" about a game generates, the better the buzz for the game becomes in the long run.

Also just as a side note. I don't believe Sony and Naughty Dog's bullshit about TLOU2 leaks coming from a hacker. I believe the initial report of a disgruntled employee because the footage and story details are just too much from a random hack. Besides if a hacker got a hold of that much of the game, why would they stop at pieces and not just rip the whole game and release that shit early on the internet? Slap in on Pirate'sRUs or something and whatever. Naw it was an employee and Sony is trying to cover it up just like they tried to silence all the videos about the leaks in the first place.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Source: IGN.

Yeah I know, but still kind of an informative read.

How much do leaks change your perception of a game?
They don't really change my perception at all, because I hardly consume any video game media about upcoming titles. Given how toxic, polarizing, and politicized a lot of the new titles have become, and how many people jump on that clickbait bandwagon about stirring up shit about various titles, I just don't have the energy to try and sift through them to find something that isn't inflammatory or simply regurgitating a press release, without any actual new input provided.

I also think there is a lot of "you brought this on yourself" to anyone who is angry about the stuff leaking, because, I mean it's really easy to not be spoiled, just don't engage the content. I've known the Last of Us 2 got leaked for...what 2 weeks now? I still know zero details about it, because I didn't seek any of it out at all. I just don't care. And guess what? I'm still not spoiled about it!! xD It's AMAZING how well not engaging with spoiled content works. But if you go diving nose first into it, and then get mad that you are wet, well....I'm not tossing you a towel. :p

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I also think there is a lot of "you brought this on yourself" to anyone who is angry about the stuff leaking, because, I mean it's really easy to not be spoiled, just don't engage the content. I've known the Last of Us 2 got leaked for...what 2 weeks now? I still know zero details about it, because I didn't seek any of it out at all. I just don't care. And guess what? I'm still not spoiled about it!! xD It's AMAZING how well not engaging with spoiled content works. But if you go diving nose first into it, and then get mad that you are wet, well....I'm not tossing you a towel.
Same.

Reactions: happyninja42

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I also think there is a lot of "you brought this on yourself" to anyone who is angry about the stuff leaking, because, I mean it's really easy to not be spoiled, just don't engage the content. I've known the Last of Us 2 got leaked for...what 2 weeks now? I still know zero details about it, because I didn't seek any of it out at all. I just don't care. And guess what? I'm still not spoiled about it!! xD It's AMAZING how well not engaging with spoiled content works. But if you go diving nose first into it, and then get mad that you are wet, well....I'm not tossing you a towel. :p
Well, not exactly.

People on youtube have the nasty habbit of putting spoilers in thumbnails. And not every game has a simultaneous release worldwide, meaning one unlucky load of your home page will show that Kratos gets [REDACTED] in the new God of War, or that [REDACTED] makes a surprise cameo in the new Uncharted. That's exactly how I got spoiled on both those games. I was already dreading the final week pre TLoU2 's release before shit got leaked, because I knew youtube would be a fucking minefield. But with those leaks out there that minefield gets expanded tenfold.
Also just as a side note. I don't believe Sony and Naughty Dog's bullshit about TLOU2 leaks coming from a hacker. I believe the initial report of a disgruntled employee because the footage and story details are just too much from a random hack. Besides if a hacker got a hold of that much of the game, why would they stop at pieces and not just rip the whole game and release that shit early on the internet? Slap in on Pirate'sRUs or something and whatever. Naw it was an employee and Sony is trying to cover it up just like they tried to silence all the videos about the leaks in the first place.
That's a possibility, but wouldn't that disgruntled employee have the foreknowledge that he or she would eventually get tracked down, resulting in them getting blacklisted by every game studio in the world? They'd have to have been stupid with anger or not care one bit about their career. And it's not like Sony has never been hacked before.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, not exactly.

People on youtube have the nasty habbit of putting spoilers in thumbnails. And not every game has a simultaneous release worldwide, meaning one unlucky load of your home page will show that Kratos gets [REDACTED] in the new God of War, or that [REDACTED] makes a surprise cameo in the new Uncharted. That's exactly how I got spoiled on both those games. I was already dreading the final week pre TLoU2 's release before shit got leaked, because I knew youtube would be a fucking minefield. But with those leaks out there that minefield gets expanded tenfold.
*shrugs* I mean I use youtube too, and I don't see those recommendations, because I don't seek out gaming news style content, so it isn't recommended to me. So it's still not an issue for me. But yeah if your viewing habits are to prowl across every platform that discusses this stuff, in detail, then yeah, you get what you get.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I logged out of my YouTube page, to avoid spoilers for God of War 4 & DMC5. It's called avoiding the site entirely when playing. It's easier than most people think. It's just many don't want to break bad habits. Though you clearly tried. I took extra steps so that would not happen.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I logged out of my YouTube page, to avoid spoilers for God of War & DMC5. It's called avoiding the site entirely when playing. It's easier than most people think. It's just many don't want to break bad habits. Though you clearly tried. I took extra steps so that would not happen.
That's two of you who have mentioned God of War in the context of spoilers. Is this a reference to the GoW4 title? Or like the upcoming one? I'm not asking for spoilers just curious if you are referring to the GoW title from 2018, or some new stuff about a new game. Because I haven't seen any mention of it.

And if it is for a new title coming up, I'm guessing it might be the following detail?

That he dies? Which, if that is the spoiler, is that really a spoiler? Because it's pretty much foreshadowed like crazy at the conclusion of the first game. It's like "well yeah, of course he does, that's clearly where they set up the story to go." Also, that doesn't actually mean he stays dead, if that is the case. Kratos has "died" in like, EVERY game.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's two of you who have mentioned God of War in the context of spoilers. Is this a reference to the GoW4 title? Or like the upcoming one? I'm not asking for spoilers just curious if you are referring to the GoW title from 2018, or some new stuff about a new game. Because I haven't seen any mention of it.
Something happens in the game that's pretty damn huge, something that no doubt has a ton of reaction compilations on youtube by now, and that's all I'll say. I think by now that reveal is swimming comfortably within the gaming community, but at the time it was a big deal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I forgot to put the 4 in front of God of War. But when 4 first launched. I logged out of my YouTube page, when picking it up early the night before release day at GameStop. I did not want see reviews or spoilers of any kind. The moment I look at one review, the YT algorithm would screw up and start showing me "walkthroughs" or spoilers in the titles/thumbnails. It does happen. Anything you watch, something related to that content is dumped in to the algorithm, leading other videos like the one you just viewed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something happens in the game that's pretty damn huge, something that no doubt has a ton of reaction compilations on youtube by now, and that's all I'll say. I think by now that reveal is swimming comfortably within the gaming community, but at the time it was a big deal.
I've beaten the game in question, so you don't have to dance around it for me personally :) Though I'm fine with vagueness as a default state in conversation. While I do think it's a lot easier than many think to avoid spoilers, I do think it's good form to not engage in them if you can avoid it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I forgot to put the 4 in front of God of War. But when 4 first launched. I logged out of my YouTube page, when picking it up early the night before release day at GameStop. I did not want see reviews or spoilers of any kind. The moment I look at one review, the YT algorithm would screw up and start showing me "walkthroughs" or spoilers in the titles/thumbnails. It does happen. Anything you watch, something related to that content is dumped in to the algorithm, leading other videos like the one you just viewed.
Ah, well I barely recall any of that coverage, because again, I don't really seek it out, so it isn't algorithemed at me.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
So this is an interesting read, but it is a bit deceptive imo.

Firstly they talk about how it hurts developers, which I don't think is true. It hurts marketing, it might hurt the perception of the game's final release, but it doesn't hurt the developers because they have nothing to do with any of that. They are simply creating what their told by the directors and team leaders, and they are paid for that. Whatever happens in the final product doesn't really hurt them, because it is rare to see individual animators, artists, programmers, even acknowledged being related to a game in the public eye. That's a spot reserved for the directors, leads, and publishers.
Leaks do hurt developers. How would you like it if something you worked for years on was just thrown out in the world before you were ready for it to be seen?

Yea it's their job, but nobody wants to see their hardwork spoiled and they want to be able to control when and where people view their work for the first time. I've spoken with enough devs about leaks to know they hate them, and when it does happen it's a big deal and can really demoralize a team working on a project if the response isn't great which can lead to a whole host of other problems down the line production wise.

If a leak happens and it's pure excitement from fans, that's just pure luck for the devs. It's not usually the end of the world, but man, I'd be super sad and angry if one of the documentaries we were working on was leaked and shown before I was ready to publish it, ya know?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
tl;dr? My network has IGN and most other mayor game sites blocked...

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I've spoken with enough devs about leaks to know they hate them
So what if they do? The video game industry is the only entertainment industry that tries so hard to be secretive about what they're working on. And that secrecy is way too extreme. It makes no sense, and it serves no real purpose other than to drive up hype. If they weren't so secretive, the leaks wouldn't be so exotic.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
So what if they do? The video game industry is the only entertainment industry that tries so hard to be secretive about what they're working on. And that secrecy is way too extreme. It makes no sense, and it serves no real purpose other than to drive up hype. If they weren't so secretive, the leaks wouldn't be so exotic.
The video game industry is as secretive as it is because games go through so much change during development. If a game coming out in 2022 was to be announced today, a year from now it might not be the same game. There's a point to not sharing too many details about a game too early both for PR and development reasons.

There's Early Access obviously, but that doesn't work for every game.

You say it only exists to drive hype, but after years of announcing games too early, lots of games are being announced now just a few months out before release.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Pretty much this. I only watch those long unedited gameplay walkthroughs to get a feel for the game to see if it interests me enough to play it. It's pretty easy to avoid spoilers in like everything. I have friends that MUST see a Marvel movie on opening weekend because spoilers, and I'm just like "how?" as I've never come close to seeing a spoiler for a Marvel movie. They told me be I don't "internet" right if I don't go places where there's spoilers. One says the Yahoo news articles spoil things in the headline so don't go on Yahoo then... I don't remember the last time I even went to Yahoo's homepage or Google's homepage for that matter (I search from my address bar).

*shrugs* I mean I use youtube too, and I don't see those recommendations, because I don't seek out gaming news style content, so it isn't recommended to me. So it's still not an issue for me. But yeah if your viewing habits are to prowl across every platform that discusses this stuff, in detail, then yeah, you get what you get.
I don't see those recommendations either and I watch a decent amount of video game content. Remember people like Downward Thrust and CleanPrinceGaming that had like the worst gaming channels ever? Youtube recommended those crappy ass channels to me. Yet, I've never seen a video game spoiler in a thumbnail ever.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't see those recommendations either and I watch a decent amount of video game content. Remember people like Downward Thrust and CleanPrinceGaming that had like the worst gaming channels ever? Youtube recommended those crappy ass channels to me. Yet, I've never seen a video game spoiler in a thumbnail ever.
No I don't remember those channels, never heard of the first one, and I vaguely recall CPG in passing? Know nothing of their content either.