This just happened. Explosion in Lebanon

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeesh, I heard about that, apparently there was a fire at a fireworks factory or something. That is a big ass explosions.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Current official statement is explosives stored in a warehouse for six years. Which, if true, means ~70 people (at last count) are dead purely because of shitty bureaucracy, which just makes the whole thing so much more tragic

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Given Lebanon is in a total economic free fall at the moment to the point they can’t even drown their nation into debt to get some quick cash I imagine this is not in fact just an accident at a fireworks factory.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeesh, I heard about that, apparently there was a fire at a fireworks factory or something. That is a big ass explosions.
I saw that too and my first thought was "Damn Lebanon has some serious ass fireworks."
Seriously they apparently heard this in Cyprus, 150 miles away. And it blew out windows 10+ miles away. This is way way WAY bigger than just a fireworks facility going up. This is like one of those 'Mother of all Bombs' going off.

I wonder if it was like a secret military weapons cache that went up or something.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Here's a video showing "sparks"(series of smaller explosions) going out in the smoke cloud, before the big explosion:

Can't judge if it's fireworks, or fertilizer, or different stuff, but the placement(sea port) reminded me immediately of the Halifax Explosion.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Thinking about it more, I’m taking the long odds it was Israel because that would be peak 2020.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That thought crossed my mind. And I hope its not true, 'cause that's an act of war.
I mean, Israel has been doing lots of sabotage and bombings recently so an act of war isn’t out of the question. It’s more that what would essentially be a random act of terror isn’t their style. I said long odds for a reason, more likely internally motivated or accidental

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Quite shocking imagery, I've witnessed a gas explosion in the past and have seen the aftermath of military grade explosives that have been used on the city, but obviously nothing of that scale, all I can say I hope it was evacuated on time and let's just wait to until the evidence is out to make judgements rather than jump to conclusions and weird conspiracies.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Conspiracy nuts on social media are having a field day with this.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
When I first watched a video, there was 5 seconds of the plume of smoke. I’m sitting here wondering what all the fuss was about.

then Boom

I don’t have anything else to say other than I hope everyone there is as safe as can be

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Video has a few other views too.
Terrifying.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Conspiracy nuts on social media are having a field day with this.
You know the really nutty part? The report I read mentioned that after it happened, Israel released a statement saying basically "Bro, totally wasn't us" likely just to get out ahead of the raging anti-Semites who'd blame Israel for their toast landing butter side down. Not ten minutes latter Hezbollah released a statement saying "Dudes, it totally wasn't Israel. Like for real".

I mean, this is a tragedy and no mistake, but it speaks to the depth of it for me when Hezbollah are going in to bat for Jewish State.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You know the really nutty part? The report I read mentioned that after it happened, Israel released a statement saying basically "Bro, totally wasn't us" likely just to get out ahead of the raging anti-Semites who'd blame Israel for their toast landing butter side down. Not ten minutes latter Hezbollah released a statement saying "Dudes, it totally wasn't Israel. Like for real".

I mean, this is a tragedy and no mistake, but it speaks to the depth of it for me when Hezbollah are going into bat for Jewish State.
Clearly that just means that the conspiracy goes even deeper!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh dear, that a big badda boom.

Am no expert or anything, so there's nothing productive or helpful I can say.