This Leviathan: Warships Spot is the Barry White of Trailers

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
This Leviathan: Warships Spot is the Barry White of Trailers

I have a sinking feeling we're not going to get through this without some naughty nautical puns ... sorry.

Trailers can be expensive. CGI trailers, like the one that turned Dead Island from yet another zombie game into a surprise hit, take high-priced ad studios months to produce. Lacking the funds of their AAA siblings, indie developers are often forced to improvise when it comes to advertising. Like Paradox did for this ad for the upcoming turn-based strategy game, Leviathan: Warships, which eschews the explosions and dubstep of modern trailers for sheer unadulterated ear sex.

[video=7154]

Not only is the trailer funnier than the usual CGI explosion-fests that haunt my television, it's more informative. Leviathan is set to hit PC, Mac, Android and iOS on April 30th. It features both single and co-op campaigns, as well as a host of competitive multiplayer modes. It also boasts cross-platform play and cloud saving. Saving that takes place in the clouds, people.

Much like the excellent Frozen Synapse, players in Leviathan plan their turns and execute them at the same time, forcing them to watch helplessly as their well/poorly laid plans succeed/fail horribly costing the lives of thousands. As discussed in earlier previews, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121877-Sink-Your-Mates-in-Leviathan-Warships] the game offers a robust ship editor that lets you fine tune your fleet, or just make a horde of ridiculous, cannon-covered death traps; Whatever floats your boat.

Get it? "Floats your boat." Because ... you know ... boats.

Boats.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Never heard of the game until now, but I am pretty sure that trailer just sold me hook, line, and sinker.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I approve of every single last pun in that trailer.

Let's hope it doesn't sink due to it's potential sub-par quality.

I know plenty of potential seamen that would love a quality game to be shipped

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I was completely ignoring this game up until now, but that trailer has sold it pretty damn well. If only because I feel I must support that kind of originality and sense of humor.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I approve of every single last pun in that trailer.

Let's hope it doesn't sink due to it's potential sub-par quality.

I know plenty of potential seamen that would love a quality game to be shipped
Excellent work until that last one, since it felt a little forced. Sank the whole pun thread down a couple of leagues in quality.

On topic I do naut see anything wrong with this game, through it has done little to surface excitement in myself, through it did manage a few laughs. It seems interesting, and perhaps even fun, but it just didn't really reel me in. I hope they do well though, if someone makes something as fantastic as this and fails, then there is little justice in the world.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Oh buoy! I'm shore this game can turn out great!

Still, its possible it could take a dive and turn out fishy, guess we'll have to wait and sea.

Maybe I'm just being a bit crabby, who knows?

(I'm trying to think of more puns, but I'm floundering here.)

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Leviathan: Warships: Best game trailer ever?
Quite possibly.

[sub]"You're gonna ship yourself": Best pun ever?
Definitely.[/sub]

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
What, Paradox is the new Zynga?

It's basically Battleships Forever with raster graphics instead of vectors.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well... I need some new pants now... That is one potent trailer...

[sup]Report is fake btw if that wasn't obvious...[/sup]

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
This is absolutely one of the best trailers I've ever seen, and the game looks pretty good too.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
evilneko said:

From my limited google search, battleships forever is a tactical real time strategy game that features a high degree of customisation up to and including recreating battle star galactica. Whereas leviathan warships is a simultaneous turn-based tactical strategy game or as the kids are want to call them, STBTSG with a stronger emphasis on player decisions made during combat. That's a big enough difference for me.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Alexnader said:
evilneko said:

From my limited google search, battleships forever is a tactical real time strategy game that features a high degree of customisation up to and including recreating battle star galactica. Whereas leviathan warships is a simultaneous turn-based tactical strategy game or as the kids are want to call them, STBTSG with a stronger emphasis on player decisions made during combat. That's a big enough difference for me.
Okay, so it's Space Empires V with all the 4X tomfoolery strained out. ;p

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
evilneko said:
Alexnader said:
evilneko said:

Okay, so it's Space Empires V with all the 4X tomfoolery strained out. ;p
Everything is space with you! Can't you see that boats are the spaceships of tomorrow?

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Ding, ding, ding! I am definitely going to check this one out. I hope it lives up to the trailer or it will sink my hopes.

Jan 9, 2011
I actually didn't like the trailer very much. I can see what it was going for, but I feel like it tried a little too hard and that the humour kind of missed the mark.