This really chives my spuds, and I want your opinion

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Seeing as how I read Lord of the Flies in 5th grade...
I wasn't the only one who did that? Because I tried to get my friends to read that and they all looked at me funny. And then they asked who I was and how I got into their houses. Silly billys.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I don't see anything wrong with it, it's the equivalent of a gamestop employee saying "You do realize this is GTA 4 and is generally not for kids right?" (though in that case with the absence of someone over 17 the gamestop employee would tell the kid sorry and to find something else, probably ask where their parent is as well) Though I've never read any of the Game of Thrones books (or w/e the series is called) I'd wager from your description that there's some things in it that might upset a parent should their child ask about it, and said parent will in turn become upset the librarian let the kid check it out. Lady was probably just covering her ass in the event that happens.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
retyopy said:
kickyourass said:
I can see where the Checkout Human is coming from but unless he/she actively refused to let the kid check the book out I don't really see why this "chives your spuds" as you put it.

I would ask thoug, how is "Chives my spuds" supposed to translate into something bad? Chives on potatoes is awesome.
She was literaly not letting him check it out. as in, she would not swipe it. In the end, he left, but he came back an hour later and there was a new lady who let him check it out.
He probably just ran into a defective librarian. Those happen sometimes, best to just throw it away and order a new one.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Dracowrath said:
retyopy said:
kickyourass said:
I can see where the Checkout Human is coming from but unless he/she actively refused to let the kid check the book out I don't really see why this "chives your spuds" as you put it.

I would ask thoug, how is "Chives my spuds" supposed to translate into something bad? Chives on potatoes is awesome.
She was literaly not letting him check it out. as in, she would not swipe it. In the end, he left, but he came back an hour later and there was a new lady who let him check it out.
He probably just ran into a defective librarian. Those happen sometimes, best to just throw it away and order a new one.
So you're suggesting... that we dispose of a human life... A living, breathing, happy HUMAN... simply because he/she was a bit annoying?

I like the cut of your jib.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
It... chives your spuds? Do you work in a restaurant or something, because I don't speak food.

But I don't really get the question here. Hopefully I'm answering the right thing, and I say let the kid read it. He'll be fine.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Hate when adults or people in power do things like this. For example i was always curious about the fate of Native Americans when Christopher Columbus sailed onto shore. Took some initiative and found out on my own and my kindergarten teacher kept me inside for lunch because I was telling the truth and "scaring" the other children.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
retyopy said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I wasn't the only one who did that? Because I tried to get my friends to read that and they all looked at me funny. And then they asked who I was and how I got into their houses. Silly billys.
People are so sensitive when it comes to breaking and entering. I mean, they really should call it "forcefully meeting new friends", right? How else do you even meet people these days?

I tend to look at people funny when they don't know what Lord of the Flies is. I'll give those who haven't read it a pass (since a lot of people cannot read above a first grade level), but not knowing what it is is simply... unacceptable.
How could they not know what it is? It's ingrained in our culure... Isn't it? It couldn't just be lost, right? There's no way.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hate when adults or people in power do things like this. For example i was always curious about the fate of Native Americans when Christopher Columbus sailed onto shore. Took some initiative and found out on my own and my kindergarten teacher kept me inside for lunch because I was telling the truth and "scaring" the other children.
By what means did you find out?

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
retyopy said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Asked my mom and she took me to a library and helped me choose a book on the subject and helped me with the more collegiate words...my mom is an English teacher. By initiative I mean I read the book while my peers couldn't be bothered unless it was a picture book. I can't remember much about the book but it was good.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
retyopy said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
retyopy said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
People are so sensitive when it comes to breaking and entering. I mean, they really should call it "forcefully meeting new friends", right? How else do you even meet people these days?

I tend to look at people funny when they don't know what Lord of the Flies is. I'll give those who haven't read it a pass (since a lot of people cannot read above a first grade level), but not knowing what it is is simply... unacceptable.
How could they not know what it is? It's ingrained in our culure... Isn't it? It couldn't just be lost, right? There's no way.
It might be. I've met a few people who didn't know it was a book, but were familiar with the film. I've also met college graduates who don't know what Catcher in the Rye is other than "that stupid book I had to read in middle school." And the classic novel A Confederacy of Dunces... that one has been lost for years.
I confess, I've never heard of A Confederacy of Dunces, but I will take it upon myself to read it and become educated.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Prof. Monkeypox said:
and when I was done I thought "That's it? I've seen worse searching for 'tomatoes' on google."
.... *trots off to google*

OT: whoever that librarian was, slap them next time and tell them to stop telling kids what to read, whatever the content. Whatever they read'll teach them more about sex than sex ed ever will...

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
retyopy said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
my mom is an English teacher.Snip
Bah, lucky man. My mom did what she could, but...