This Smart Garbage Bin Will Catch Your Rubbish

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This Smart Garbage Bin Will Catch Your Rubbish

Roomba, eat your heart out.

One of the more surprisingly satisfying little things in life is the feeling one gets when sinking a wad of balled-up paper or empty soda can into the wastebasket from across the room. On the other hand, the moment when you invariably miss and need to get up, walk over to the trash and manually put it in yourself, is much less enjoyable. So a Japanese inventor called FRP has taken ordinary garbage bins, and done what Japanese people always do when they see something in need of improvement: He turned it into a robot.

As you can see in the video to the right, a surprising amount of work went into the designing of this three-wheeled "smart" trash can. The operation, however, is deceptively simple: A Kinect-style camera on the wall monitors the room. When it detects movement, it sends a signal to the trash can, which zips over to the projected landing area to intercept the offending garbage before it can hit the floor.

The first 2-and-some-odd minutes of the video are the trash bin's construction; if you want to see it in action skip to the 2:25 mark.

Obviously, this is not without limitations. It could never work in a carpeted area, for one, and any obstacles on the floor would present, well, an obstacle to get around. But at the same time, this is a neat little invention that would drastically improve the floor situation in bachelors' pads the world over.

Source: Wired UK [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/24/smart-bin]

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Ok, I have found my new project. I wonder if my college campus would allow me to use the shop equipment.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
John Funk said:
So a Japanese inventor called FRP has taken ordinary garbage bins, and done what Japanese people always do when they see something in need of improvement: He turned it into a robot.
Ooh, sorry! The correct answer was "touch a school girl on a subway." I would have also accepted "tentacle rape."

DVS BSTrD said:
Waste bot want bot!
Very clever. Well done!

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
My god, it's magic and I want mine now.
Micalas said:
John Funk said:
So a Japanese inventor called FRP has taken ordinary garbage bins, and done what Japanese people always do when they see something in need of improvement: He turned it into a robot.
Ooh, sorry! The correct answer was "touch a school girl on a subway." I would have also accepted "tentacle rape."
Half marks or double for both at the same time?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
shinsei-J said:
Micalas said:
John Funk said:
Only one or the other! Tentacle raping a school girl on a subway? That's fucked up, man! I might have to report your post :p

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Thats the best use for Kinect yet, if he can get it to work like that how come game developers cannot?

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
This is neat and all, but I hope it doesn't over-react when you jump/fall over/tackle someone.

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
This now is standard equipment for every twenty-years-in-the-future movie.

Further than that and the trash probably gets grabbed by some force-field and directly incinerated.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Micalas said:
shinsei-J said:
Micalas said:
John Funk said:
Only one or the other! Tentacle raping a school girl on a subway? That's fucked up, man! I might have to report your post :p
Clearly, you've not been present during a /v/ trolling.

OT: But this would remove all the satisfaction from getting it in!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
waddle dee! nooooooooo

i can see this being adapted to make an impossible puttputt golf course