This "Sponge Syringe" Can Seal a Gunshot Wound in 15 Seconds

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
This "Sponge Syringe" Can Seal a Gunshot Wound in 15 Seconds

The new medical invention was inspired by "Fix-a-Flat" foam for repairing tires, and could save countless lives on the battlefield.

One of the harshest realities of war is that you're more likely to die bleeding out from a simple flesh wound than pretty much anything else. Treating gunshot wounds on a battlefield is an agonizing process, in which the medic has to pack gauze deep into the wound, and start over if the bleeding doesn't stop. However, Oregon-based startup "RevMedx" has devised an ingenious new way to quickly, and (relatively) painlessly seal up bullet holes in the field, using a syringe of tiny sponges to seal up gunshot wounds much the same way "Fix-a-Flat" foam repairs tires.

Called the "XStat", the device could boost survival and spare injured soldiers from additional pain by plugging wounds faster and more efficiently than gauze. The XStat team initially experimented with foam, like in the tires, but found that blood pressure was too high, and would push the foam out. So, they turned their attention to sponges, and discovered it was the perfect material.

Sponges work fast. In just 15 seconds, they expand to fill the entire wound cavity, creating enough pressure to stop heavy bleeding. And because sponges cling to moist surfaces, they aren't pushed back out of the body by gushing blood.

But actually getting the sponges into the wound in the first place proved to be the bigger obstacle. Eventually the team designed a 30 millimeter-diameter, poly-carbonate syringe that stores with the handle inside to save space. To use the applicator, a medic pulls out the handle, inserts the cylinder into the wound, and then pushes the plunger back down to inject the sponges as close to the artery as possible.

Furthermore, to ensure that no sponges are left inside the body accidentally, they added X-shaped markers that make each sponge visible on an x-ray image.

According to RevMedx, the company and the military are now in final discussions with the FDA.

Source: Popular Science [http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/how-simple-new-invention-seals-gunshot-wound-15-seconds]

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I believe I find this gif appropriate to the thread...

That's some impressive wound sealing O_O Can I order some? Because that could be DAMN useful! XD

Also + 1 awesome for awesome name, how much more badass can you get? XD

Woohoo for science!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I hope there's a painkiller laced in those sponges, because that is a big-ass syringe. I'm pretty sure that's bigger than most wounds...

But yeah, sounds like a great way to triage while you're waiting for a medevac.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Congratulations! You have reinvented the Tampon!

Both are pushed into holes to stop bleeding.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
That image looks like a rectal applicator, so...

I can see these being useful outside of the military, like at schools, movie theaters, airports, pretty much everywhere guns are being used by people to put unwanted holes into other people.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's awesome. I wonder if it could effectively plug stab-wounds.

Also, I'm still waiting for the invention of the Stimpack.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Icehearted said:
That image looks like a rectal applicator, so...

I can see these being useful outside of the military, like at schools, movie theaters, airports, pretty much everywhere guns are being used by people to put unwanted holes into other people.
So the vast majority of the United States?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Doclector said:
I'm reminded of that foam wound sealer stuff from Halo ODST.

WE ARE IN THE FUTURE!
Biofoam was my first thought too, its a useful bit of kit for most wounds as well. These will probably be in a paramedics kit soon, maybe even first aid kits if they are cheap enough.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I guess Call of Duty was right all along and war will become something closer to this

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
This is pretty cool, and what makes it cooler is it sounds like something from Fallout!

"Clean up your wound with an XStat!"

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
The Gentleman said:
I hope there's a painkiller laced in those sponges, because that is a big-ass syringe. I'm pretty sure that's bigger than most wounds...
Both the traditional gauze-packing and this new sponge-applicator are supposed to be applied to the exit wound, which usually requires something as big as that. Entry wounds are rarely the problem. In my own, limited medic training we were told to pack the gauze in with our hand, which usually has a much wider diameter than 30 millimeters. We were also told that that is the moment where the gunshotee passes out from the pain. The spongifier is infinitely less horrifying than what your fellow soldier has been able to administer until now.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Doom972 said:
That's awesome. I wonder if it could effectively plug stab-wounds.

Also, I'm still waiting for the invention of the Stimpack.
Stimpack is possible (not instant though)
It would be mixture of painkiller, physiological liquid and something that can safely boost mitosis (or at least amitosis)
Last part is still under research

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The Gentleman said:

this also worries me. entry wounds of bullets are generally same size or smaller than the caliber of a bullet, and a 3 CM diameter syringe would not fint into most of those. exit wounds would be large enough, however if you need to plug both entry and exit wounds you have thei nternal bleeding problem that would be even harder to handle.
however i think it still could be better than plugging it by hand, and definatelly faster, and lets face it when bullets are flying above you the medic wants to be out in location where his teammate just got a supposedly fatal wound as short a time as possible.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Unfortunately, some of your biggest technological advancements occur during wartime.

The more things I read such as this, some of the robotic technology being developed, the prosthetic technology being developed.... Deus Ex: Human Revolution almost seems.... prophetic, in a way, doesnt it? (I am not saying I prescibe to the theories on the Illuminati, and the FEMA camps and such... just bringing it up for discussions sake)

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
The Gentleman said:

I would imagine this to be a none issue after a gunshot. Probably doesn't require going in very far either.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Is this really going to be necessary in a near future military that will rely on Drone warfare. Ambulances & public schools within violent neighborhoods maybe.

Blitzing

Jan 12, 2014
This seems really interesting, what would make it even better would be if they found a way to make the sponge dissolve using some sort of non-toxic chemical/liquid/whatever to make it easier to get out. Maybe some sort of alcohol based sponge solvent or whatever could work. Not only does it dissolve the sponge so the doctors can get at the wound, but it also cleans it at the same time.