This "Sponge Syringe" Can Seal a Gunshot Wound in 15 Seconds

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I love how there's robots, clones, disease-cures... but foam? THAT'S THE FUTURE RIGHT THERE! Nothing says future more than filling a wound with foam and forgetting about it.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Doclector said:
I'm reminded of that foam wound sealer stuff from Halo ODST.

WE ARE IN THE FUTURE!
NINJA'D DAMMIT!!!!!

However, I have one over on you, as I know what the stuff is called. It wasn't only used in Halo 3: ODST, it was actually introduced in the books and made its way to the games later. Biofoam is the name ;D. And yep, it looks like they've basically invented Biofoam, except it's more accurately 'Biosponge'...

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Oh goodie, Another tool in my personal first aid kit. (I need to wait till the price drops though, I am almost afraid to look)

I can see this being useful for more then just GSWs. You could use it almost anytime there is a deep puncture wound.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Wasn't there a similar article about a medical technology inspired by Medigel? Wasn't that basically this but more effective? I imagine this might be cheaper, though.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Shouldn't these sponges be made out of material that automatically degrades so they don't have to worry about them being left in the body? If they aren't then plenty are going to end up left in the body, causing further damage, even making them viewable on an X-Ray only makes them easier to find, they'd still probably need to perform surgery to remove them.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Just for the record, you don't jam the whole thing inside someones body. It shoots the gunk into them

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
It's really cool to see a development like this not only exist, but also be in a deployable state relatively soon. A number of things like this are usually PoC's or are yet to undergo 5 year clinical trials. But this is practical, innovated from current technology, and seems like it will be low cost. I hope this will save the lives of many soldiers in years to come.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
This is pretty awesome, but the biggest problem I see is with getting the sponges out of the wound. I haven't seen a lot of bullet wounds in my day, but I imagine one advantage gauze has over a hundred tiny sponges is that gauze comes in one big long roll. I don't want to imagine what kind of Hell it would be to try to pick a bunch of blood-soaked little sponges out of some dude's gaping wound.