This Super Smash Bros. 3DS Glitch Bans Players for 136 Years

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
This Super Smash Bros. 3DS Glitch Bans Players for 136 Years

An extremely frustrating glitch that bans players for a ridiculous amount of time is running rampant in the world of Super Smash Bros. 3DS.

So you're hanging out, playing some Super Smash Bros. 3DS online, when all of a sudden you realize you've been banned from play. But it's not just a regular temporary ban that lasts a pithy amount of time because you decided to rage quit or act like a jerk. No, this kind of ban will ensure you don't come back to the game for 136 years!

Okay, so it's not a real ban. It's actually a glitch a player unfortunate enough to have received the ban reported Nintendo Life [http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2kyda0/136_year_ban_glitch_faq_answers/] that the glitch can occur to brawlers after targeting other players online during four-player For Fun matches.

Currently, it appears there's no real way to resolve the glitch, so if you're afraid of being locked out of online play for the time being, the suggestions are a bit grim: stay offline and fly solo, or simply stick to 1v1 matches.

Nintendo has yet to release an official comment on the situation, though there are arrangements in place to take care of those who cheat and leave games early or cause other issues. A 136-year ban isn't one of those, however, so be careful if you're planning on taking your Smash career online for the time being.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/01/super-smash-bros-3ds-online/]

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
You can also get kicked from the game for targeting one player which is the biggest largest of the bullshits.

Captcha: if it fits

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
How exactly does that even work? Not the being banned for 136 years, but the fact that you can be banned for targeting a single player? What constitutes as "Targeting"? How long does the "Targeting" have to last in order for the ban to activate? If everyone on the field attacks that one person, does that mean everyone else would be banned? I can see why they would implement it (They wouldn't want Champs just constantly attacking noobs), but it's kind of a dumb way to do so.

I hope the WiiU version doesn't have this kind of Ban, and that if it (Sadly) does it will not be for 136 years.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
How exactly does that even work? Not the being banned for 136 years, but the fact that you can be banned for targeting a single player? What constitutes as "Targeting"? How long does the "Targeting" have to last in order for the ban to activate? If everyone on the field attacks that one person, does that mean everyone else would be banned? I can see why they would implement it (They wouldn't want Champs just constantly attacking noobs), but it's kind of a dumb way to do so.

I hope the WiiU version doesn't have this kind of Ban, and that if it (Sadly) does it will not be for 136 years.
The Wii U version to my knowledge will have the ban. Anyway, I don't know what constitutes "targeting", but my idea is that the moment a person dies, you instantly manage to kill them again when they respawn. I don't entirely know the stipulations, but it's a stupid thing to implement in the first place. Then again, there are a lot of things in the new Smash Bros game that are stupidly implemented, such as the censor on the system not allowing you to name your Mii Fighter Adam or Spike because they are considered swear words. :/

Edit: The ban would end up affect the Wii U version as well actually because it's your NNID that receives the ban, and they are linked across both systems.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Huh, I didn't know there was such an uproar over the targeting ban. You relentlessly troll a person for an extended period of time, you take a 10 minute time out. Seemed like basic cause and effect to me.

Have there been reported situations where the rule has gone awry? I don't keep that much of a close eye on the Smash community.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
the mere fact that you can get kicked for targeting a single player is bullcrap
Toilet said:
You can also get kicked from the game for targeting one player which is the biggest largest of the bullshits.

I thought people were joking when they say that. What the hell Nintendo? I hope they change that before Smash U comes out. That's just pure bullshit.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
BiH-Kira said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Toilet said:

I thought people were joking when they say that. What the hell Nintendo? I hope they change that before Smash U comes out. That's just pure bullshit.
nintendo is family friendly to the point of hilarity

well if you ignore bayonetta 2

"dont play rough kids, and remember the important thing is not to win, but to participate"

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
That is soooo Awesome! XD
NuclearKangaroo said:
BiH-Kira said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Toilet said:

nintendo is family friendly to the point of hilarity

well if you ignore bayonetta 2
And impaling Ganon in the skull :p

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
BX3 said:
Huh, I didn't know there was such an uproar over the targeting ban. You relentlessly troll a person for an extended period of time, you take a 10 minute time out. Seemed like basic cause and effect to me.

Have there been reported situations where the rule has gone awry? I don't keep that much of a close eye on the Smash community.
The story is about a bug that causes 136 year bans.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
And impaling Ganon in the skull :p
They lose points for that because they changed the color of his blood in later games. :p
Used to be red, now it's just green which is lame. Wind Waker's still remains badass though.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Bad Jim said:
BX3 said:

The story is about a bug that causes 136 year bans.
Ah, shit, my mistake. I assumed that the glitch effected bans of all types. I must've skipped the part where it said it specifically targeted the trolling ban on accident. Still though this might be a case of the ban working as intended, but the allotted time out got screwed up somewhere along the way.

Eh, anyway, in the first place, I was more so asking for links or first hand accounts of the ban happening prematurely, ie the game booting you after attacking one player for a couple measly strikes or for a ridiculously short amount of seconds.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Never noticed this, but then again I always played in For Glory mode.

Anyway, that's an awful glitch. Hopefully Nintendo will patch it out before the Wii U version comes out.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
-Creates system to allow rather extensive combos that are fun to perform
-bans you for doing a sick combo on a guy

Nintendo what do you fucking want from me. A couple of pikachu combos is quite a lot of successive hits, will that ban me? Is it number, time, my breath?! I need a damn hint here.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Great job, you all enjoy smash! But if you even dare so focus that one super powerful fighter together who is wrecking all your shit then you better prepare for a hundred or so year ban.

Nintendo, why so scary?

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
If someone is being a dick to me then I will still consider the result of the glitch worth it

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Toilet said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Mr.Mattress said:
BiH-Kira said:
Svarr said:
You only get banned for targeting when you're playing in "For Fun" mode, which is designed to be played for... well, FUN! People being douchebags generally doesn't fit so well there. When you're playing "For Glory" you can target as much as you like, since it's aimed more for competitive play. So don't get your panties in a twist just yet - if you're the kind of person that likes targeting a single player then just play "For Glory" and leave "For Fun" for the other people.

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
Bugs happen, they'll fix it. I'm more surprised by the fact that apparently, there is SOME kind of punishment for just targeting a single player during a FFA. Since when is that not a valid option?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Okay as someone thats never played any Smash Brothers game ever can anyone explain this to me, do you actually get kicked from games or temp banned for going to town on someone to lock them down and keep them out of a match? What happens if they have a strong char for that match and you want to keep them out of it as much as possible, or they could be a weak link and locking them down so their team is -1 for much of the match helping you win.

Whats the point of that? Its like those dedicated multiplayer servers with a ten page "fair play" and "honour" policy of obscure community rules like "you killed that player once so you cannot kill them again until they kill you" and if you come across them you have do nothing and get killed or they whine in chat to get you vote kicked.