This War of Mine - The Ultimate Serious Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
This War of Mine - The Ultimate Serious Game

The idea that games can?t describe important social topics like the effect of war on the civilian population is kind of bullshit.

Read Full Article

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Greg Tito said:
This War Is Mine - The Ultimate Serious Game

The idea that games can?t describe important social topics like the effect of war on the civilian population is kind of bullshit.

Read Full Article
Erm, I don't mean to be 'that guy', but isn't it This War of Mine?

Anyway, on the topic of the game, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's about time gaming tackled something like this, especially given the medium's love for military settings. Hopefully the developers will be able to expand on what they have so far and deliver something really special.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
For some reason I cannot put my finger on, I don't like the writing in this piece. The game however looks amazingly promising, and the trailer is both simple and impacting.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Tactical Pause said:
Greg Tito said:
This War Is Mine - The Ultimate Serious Game

Read Full Article
Erm, I don't mean to be 'that guy', but isn't it This War of Mine?

Anyway, on the topic of the game, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's about time gaming tackled something like this, especially given the medium's love for military settings. Hopefully the developers will be able to expand on what they have so far and deliver something really special.
You are correct. I am dumb. Fixed!

Greg

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Can't we say that the first proper war is hell game was Spec Ops: The Line?
That and Company of Heroes 2 are the only two games I can think of that had a War is Hell vibe, but neither of those showed a civilian perspective. Well, CoH2 had a conscript who doesn't understand war at the start, but it's not the same as a modern conflict.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i was really hoping the gameplay was going to be a fairly straightforward copy-paste of State Of Decay, with a bombed out aesthetic as opposed to a zombie apocalypse setting, but regardless, i still find this idea fascinating and will probably play it. still, i think there is a definite potential for whoever decides to combine the gameplay of SoD with the topic and setting of This War. here's hoping someone with ability thinks the same.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Wait... a 2-D survival-horror game focused on resource management, where you give out orders, then time-skip and hope that everyone comes back alive?

Why yes, I have never seen any of the ten million zombie-survival flash games on newgrounds that do exactly that.

Forgive me, but I had hoped for a first person stealth-survival game with perhaps some kind of social minigame where you had to try to figure out if the person you were talking to is lying, just scared, or perhaps about to mug you.

I have seen so many zombie games on newgrounds that have done this that I'm quite frankly not impressed. Sure, the specific framing device for the game is novel enough: 99% of the games that do this usually use zombie apocalypse as their excuse, or perhaps the odd post-nuclear apocalypse setting - but a mid-war "you are a civilian and shit is going down" setting? That has never really been touched upon, outside of that one experimental first person civil-war simulator I was shown by some master students when I studied.

So ya... consider my expectations greatly diminished.

Of course, for anyone who didn't play turn-based zombie survival flash games for days on end back in their late teens, I can see how this would look like a novel and possibly never seen before concept.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Well this feels weird. I suggested a pretty similar game idea just a week before I heard that this was in the making. Glad someone is developing it! Though I must admit that this concept has been around for a while. There was some flash game I played a few years back where the objective is to avoid being captured by milita in a war-torn country.

Senare said:
Help and guide your group to survive in the face of hardships. E.g. help your family/closest friends survive your trek out of a war-torn country. Game play could consist of managing equipment/roles between group members, scavenging supplies (stealth excursions) in dangerous territory and moving through uneasy crowds of people while still keeping your group together and out of trouble.

Though I am tempted to dissect the matter further. Are there better ideas to be had if we drop the requirement of being "a male hero's journey"?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This kinda reminds me of Organ Trail, but a bit less refined.

I can see Greg's criticisms though and by the description of the game, it's pretty valid, this game could be much more, heck, Organ Trail looks like a Commodore 64 game, but it's pretty much a complete experience.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So this game is the illegitimate child of "Gods Will be Watching" and the stereotype of eastern-European movies isn't it?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What they need to do is pair up with Yager (Spec Ops: The Line). That would be such an awesome partnership.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
webkilla said:
Wait... a 2-D survival-horror game focused on resource management, where you give out orders, then time-skip and hope that everyone comes back alive?

Why yes, I have never seen any of the ten million zombie-survival flash games on newgrounds that do exactly that.
This is my thought as well. I mean, I really appreciate what the devs are going for and, if done right, I think it could be a fantastic experience. What it sounds like they've actually created, however, is just a reskinned survival game like we've seen over and over repeatedly for the last few years.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Does this mean we can stop with serious games and go back to having fun?

I'm not saying they don't have their place. Serious games can and often are good. That said, if it comes down to a fight between Grimdark and Noblebright, I'm on Team Noblebright.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
What they need to do is pair up with Yager (Spec Ops: The Line). That would be such an awesome partnership.
Because we really need another pretentious, player hating, derivative whole-plot-of-Heart-o'-Darkness referencing game out there.

Yager was more concerned with lecturing the player than delivering an entertaining experience. What these War of Mine people need to do is stay far, far away from them.

(sorry to call your post out, Spec-Ops is one of my personal bugbears)

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Because we really need another pretentious, player hating, derivative whole-plot-of-Heart-o'-Darkness referencing game out there.

Yager was more concerned with lecturing the player than delivering an entertaining experience. What these War of Mine people need to do is stay far, far away from them.
Who is the actual protagonist of reviewer darling The Last of Us? (There is a point to this , just answer)

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Goliath100 said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

Who is the actual protagonist of reviewer darling The Last of Us? (There is a point to this , just answer)
Dueteragonist team Ellie and Joel would be the obvious answer. But, that would be too easy; Joel is most protagonist-y of the characters, seeing as how you play as him and the entire story is told from his perspective.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Dueteragonist team Ellie and Joel would be the obvious answer. But, that would be too easy; Joel is most protagonist-y of the characters, seeing as how you play as him and the entire story is told from his perspective.
Wrong! It's the player. This is a quirk of games, the true protagonist is and will always be the player, even with games like The Last of Us, who is in denial over this consept. But, think about how the game treats its mistaken protagonist: Having, you know, character arcs. Spec Ops basically does the same, but with the player as the intended protagonist, which means the player need their own arc.