This War of Mine: War As A Marathon

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
This War of Mine: War As A Marathon

Critical Intel takes its keen eye for detail to the idea of playing a civilian in a war game with details on upcoming game This War of Mine.

Read Full Article

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
I am still very sceptical about this game. After all, 11 Bit's only other project is the Anomaly series whose tone is not that far from Modern Warfare and the likes. [Albeit, somewhat more light-hearted.]

Still, if they manage to do what they say they want to, this game will become important.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Ambitious idea. I think it would be best served as a mod for a game like Arma 3. It has everything you need to get started and is a procedural gameplay designers dream. The scope would be amazing as anyone who has played any Arma games will know. sneaking through checkpoints. Dealing guns to the resistance. try and live out the conflict under the radar or thrive on it. Give the option to make immoral decisions and profiteer. I hope This War Of Mine is good. But it will probably be an ambitious project let down by not being able to meet it's lofty goals. I hope I am wrong, but I won't be.

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
If they can portray the terrible suffering that real war brings, they will have made one of the most important games of our time.

After watching Ken Burn's The War, I haven't been able to play a military shooter since, they make me ill.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
Ambitious idea. I think it would be best served as a mod for a game like Arma 3. It has everything you need to get started and is a procedural gameplay designers dream. The scope would be amazing as anyone who has played any Arma games will know. sneaking through checkpoints. Dealing guns to the resistance. try and live out the conflict under the radar or thrive on it. Give the option to make immoral decisions and profiteer. I hope This War Of Mine is good. But it will probably be an ambitious project let down by not being able to meet it's lofty goals. I hope I am wrong, but I won't be.
The arma thing only works if they are making a first person game which I doubt they are I would guess they are making it top down strategy or more adventure gameish.

On topic this game just keeps sounding better, a great message and I always love being the underdog in games.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
zerragonoss said:
The arma thing only works if they are making a first person game which I doubt they are I would guess they are making it top down strategy or more adventure gameish.
Ah I see, it's not really too clear on the way the gameplay works. Except that I don't think it would be nearly as effective if you were not a part of the action. That feeling of helplessness and being in personal danger I think would really drive this home more than a top down game. Then it comes across more like an anti war version oregon trail which I think would waste the idea. And like you said it could even be an adventure game like the telltale ones. Which have proven to be effective. Either way, my point still stands. A person could make a hell of a mod out of it.

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
The fact that this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134831-Battlefield-Hardline-Leaked-New-Title-With-SWAT-Theme-Update] insubstantial post has ten times as much participation as this one is proportionally indicative of how important it is for 11 Bit to accurately convey their message.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, survival games have certainly been big lately. That should certainly give this game a shot at selling well, even among those who haven't read this article.

It's just important that they remember to use mechanics that aren't at odds with the script. Building mechanics around a story (and not the other way around) can lead to a sloppy game. It'll be important to show, rather than tell most of the story, and leave a bunch of blanks for the player to fill in himself. Too much story detail will make it someone else's story rather than the player's experience.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I am all for them telling the story of warfare through the eyes of a civilian caught in the middle. As a soldier, despite how harrowing it is to be in the line of fire or out on mission, you've at least got the understanding that you are backed (usually) by a huge amount of logistics and leadership. As a civilian? I can only imagine how difficult it would be to deal with a war when the only thing you have to rely on for help is what remains of your government/military or the good graces of the one invading. Even as someone who's seen my fair share of modern, urban war, I cannot conceive of the terror that must accompany simply trying to survive without any kind of safety net. I hope this game is amazing.