This Week's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Mockingbird Vs. 'Whiplash'

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
This Week's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Mockingbird Vs. 'Whiplash'

Another strong, action packed episode, though the dense myth arc development makes things slightly convoluted this week out. Obviously, SPOILER WARNING is in effect.

Read Full Article

vid87

May 17, 2010
I really do wonder if this business with the Inhumans is going to create a loophole that allows for a de-facto X-Men, at least the ones who join the Avengers? In any case I can't see Marvel passing up the opportunity to introduce the terrigen mists and getting Ms. Marvel into it (especially since she apparently isn't "taking a mantle" and Captain Marvel ie Carroll has been confirmed).

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
My one grip of the show was that Grant slipped away from custody even after Coulson told them not to give him an inch. Dammit, FBI, you had one job! Couldn't they drugged his ass, wrapped him up tighter than a snare drum, and had him frozen so this sort of thing wouldn't happen?

Joking aside, the dominoes are getting set up nicely so far. Hope we see the payoff hit big.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mr. Q said:
My one grip of the show was that Grant slipped away from custody even after Coulson told them not to give him an inch. Dammit, FBI, you had one job! Couldn't they drugged his ass, wrapped him up tighter than a snare drum, and had him frozen so this sort of thing wouldn't happen?

Joking aside, the dominoes are getting set up nicely so far. Hope we see the payoff hit big.
Oh come on if they cuffed him like they would in real life (hands behind back with zip tie cuffs) he would never be able to escape.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Mr. Q said:

*puts on conspiracy cap* Unless Coulson *knew* he was going to try to escape, and wants to use him to track down the Doctor...

GhostFox

Oct 29, 2014
Also worth pointing out that next Tuesday is Election Day across the US, and many local stations will be interrupting (or in some cases, completely pre-empting) network series to provide election-results coverage.

So taking a week off to run a "disposable" Marvel special is probably a smart thing for a continuity-heavy show like AoS.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I missed this episode last night, but I intend to watch it. So, I would like to know, did HYDRA kill everyone at the meeting, or did some people manage to escape? I don't like stuff like that, so I would prefer to be prepared. I'm already miffed that they killed a bunch of people last week too.

Anyway, this episode sounds like it will be fun to watch. Lots of action, and I'm really looking forward to see this apparently epic brawl that goes down.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Sniper Team 4 said:
I missed this episode last night, but I intend to watch it. So, I would like to know, did HYDRA kill everyone at the meeting, or did some people manage to escape? I don't like stuff like that, so I would prefer to be prepared. I'm already miffed that they killed a bunch of people last week too.

Anyway, this episode sounds like it will be fun to watch. Lots of action, and I'm really looking forward to see this apparently epic brawl that goes down.
They don't really kill all that many people. It's a crowded room, and I think we only see three or four people bite it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Supahewok said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

They don't really kill all that many people. It's a crowded room, and I think we only see three or four people bite it.
Thanks. I can handle that. I doubt they let all those people escape, but at least they don't show it happening. That's what really gets me.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Sniper Team 4 said:
Supahewok said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Thanks. I can handle that. I doubt they let all those people escape, but at least they don't show it happening. That's what really gets me.
The point of the attack wasn't really to kill people, it was just to scare them. You can see nearly everyone get out.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
In regards to the Ward-Lecter thing, I think it is more SHIELD being lenient in terms of restraint, though Fitz was pretty cool when he found out. To me, Ward is like a puppy. All he wants is a caring family, but given his background he struggles.

Ooh, what if neither older or middle brother are evil, what if the younger brother can twist minds and he is making them think he is being bullied when he is actually turning them on each other...

Anyways, I am enjoying the show, but it will never be Full Whedonesque. He needs to make sure the right clues are given out at a specific point to let the movies blow us away. Just remember that nobody knew Disney bought Lucasarts until the announcement.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Now the Inhumans and Kree alien stuff fits with the events thus far. The Inhumans are the result of Kree genetic tampering, so their (or Skye's) tolerance for Kree proteins/drugs/DNA equivalent makes sense.

I'm liking this season thus far. It seems that Ward believes that his brother is evil, but that could be one from any number of possible mind-altering explanations. Maybe they should have gotten the Enchantress to wring some intel out of him.

Yuiiut

Jun 9, 2014
Supahewok said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Supahewok said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

The point of the attack wasn't really to kill people, it was just to scare them. You can see nearly everyone get out.
I think you hear that 6 people end up dying when the team first hears about the attack.

petef201

Aug 31, 2010
Is the dislocating thumb thing that common on movies and films? Sure I've seen it before, but not so often that it's become cliched or anything. Although I guess MovieBob will have seen a lot more films and TV shows than me! Personally I thought it was really cool!

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Wolyo said:
petef201 said:
Is the dislocating thumb thing that common on movies and film?
That's mostly a thing on TV if I remember correctly.
I would consider it to be fairly common, enough so that another means of escape (especially in a tech-heavy show like this) would have been more welcome.

It was just a bit immersion-breaking for me. The second Coulson gives up custody of Ward and asks them to not spare him an inch, I basically new 100% that Ward would break out. And he does so in such a painfully obvious way.

Edit: To the show's credit, though, I like how they set up the "which is the more evil Ward?" dynamic. It'd be easy for the main protagonists to be fooled by Senator Ward only to realize that he's the greater of two evils, and that could still potentially happen, but Agent Ward made a pretty convincing case for being delusional when he insisted to Coulson that he was inexplicably still a member of the team. This should play out interestingly.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
When will agents of shield get as good as the arrow or flash? Maybe I've just been spoiled by really good series that came before it like prison break, breaking bad and walking dead, but the series so far is just seems to be a bit above mediocre at best. Hell, even The 100 seems more interesting.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
We already saw a direct flashback of Ward's own memories in Season One's "The Well," when Ward grabbed an artifact specifically designed to remind you of your worst memory. No way did Ward make that shit up.

So I'm rather disappointed they set up this dynamic. It's only a question of how long they can drag out SHIELD not figuring it out.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
Sylocat said:
We already saw a direct flashback of Ward's own memories in Season One's "The Well," when Ward grabbed an artifact specifically designed to remind you of your worst memory. No way did Ward make that shit up.

So I'm rather disappointed they set up this dynamic. It's only a question of how long they can drag out SHIELD not figuring it out.
don't forget this is based on comics, so it is entirely possible that both ward's had their minds messed with, in which case agent ward would have a false memory which is the memory we saw.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Mr. Q said:

The thing is Ward is supposed to be THAT good, when he first appeared they pointed out he had the highest scores of any SHIELD Agent since Romanoff (The Black Widow). In a comic book they would have had him escape between panels and glossed over the details (basically without another super agent or two on site getting away was easy for him), in the TV show they actually showed more of his escape, which didn't work as well, if the plan is for him to get away it should have just been announced later.

It's also possible that Ward was *supposed* to escape, the bottom line being that Coulson is probably onto both him and his brother, so is playing his own game. It's possible Ward has been conditioned (turn about is fair play) as well, or has otherwise cut some deal between the scenes they will surprise you with later.

One thing that occurred to me during all of this is that SHIELD is at this point employing mercenaries, guys and girls not known for their loyalty, and who have probably done things a lot worse than Ward has as far as we've seen. SHIELD seems to have little problem with working with people they don't actually like very much. Ward's betrayal was personal, but at the same time his major loyalty link to Hydra is gone, and they know he's obsessed with/in love with Skye and they have all seen that in an environment where it's obviously not an act. In dealing with the current situation they might figure they can trust Ward somewhat, and use him to deal with a bigger problem... his brother. Fitz and Simmons are the ones likely to have the biggest problem with this, but Coulson didn't have to tell them that, or conversely if they brainwashed or programmed Ward, their ethics on standby due to hatred, that would make sense as well.

Either way it goes I've been thinking they kept Ward on the show, and he doesn't seem to be being set up as a "big bad" so far, so I'm guessing there must be some method by which they are planning on having him rejoin the team, or at least remain on the fringes.

It will be interesting to see where they go with it, all this speculation is exactly what they are going for with the show.