Thomas Janes Returns to The Punisher

creamy5000

Nov 23, 2009
Punisher Warzone was a joke on the Punisher and his fans. Thomas Jane gives the Punisher heart... A cold black heart and that is what makes it great.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The Thomas Jane Punisher was by far the absolute best one. The movie was far superior to all others as well. I would see another Thomas Jane Punisher movie without hesitation. I can't watch any other movies with him in without expecting him to be all dark and broody ready to kill someone. Every time I see Steven King's The Mist, I imagine how bad it would go for those beasts if he was the Punisher.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
creamy5000 said:
Punisher Warzone was a joke on the Punisher and his fans. Thomas Jane gives the Punisher heart... A cold black heart and that is what makes it great.
That movie was a travesty. But I notice that whenever they do a movie based on the Marvel Knights version of a character, it's horrible. The second Ghost Rider film was a Knights version and it was way worse than the first one, and the first one wasn't a good movie.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
His 10 minute clip was more like the comic books than all the movies put together. Although I didn't particularly like Jane's movie all too much, being a frequent reader of the character, I would have to say that he understands. He gets how Frank Castle is.

Baresark said:
The Thomas Jane Punisher was by far the absolute best one.
Though the movie was better, the way they did the story bothered me since I read all the comics. Personally, as far as looks go, I think Ray Stevenson is the better Punisher.

I think he looks the part better. Tom Jane comes off as too...pretty?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thomas Jane is a very sexy man, but I think he pulls off the "look" of the Punisher very well. YMMV. But with the number of different artists who have worked on the character over the years, I don't think there's an overly specific visual identity attached to it. Big, dark hair, scowls a lot, likes black. Beyond that, there's plenty of room for interpretation.

And no, limbs don't work like that and whiskey doesn't work like that, but as someone else pointed out, so what? This is comic book violence. And it's awesome!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
His 10 minute clip was more like the comic books than all the movies put together. Although I didn't particularly like Jane's movie all too much, being a frequent reader of the character, I would have to say that he understands. He gets how Frank Castle is.

Baresark said:
The Thomas Jane Punisher was by far the absolute best one.
Though the movie was better, the way they did the story bothered me since I read all the comics. Personally, as far as looks go, I think Ray Stevenson is the better Punisher.

I think he looks the part better. Tom Jane comes off as too...pretty?
I think they both look the part excellently. The main difference is that the Ray Stevenson version was way darker. Both have the very similar bone structures in their face, but I think that Thomas Jane fit the part physically a little better.

The Ray Stevenson Punisher movie was horrible. I wanted so bad to love that movie, but it was just not possible. The Thomas Jane movie was based on the run by Garth Ennis, which I think he handled the best in recent memory as far as the writing was concerned. I also feel that Ray Stevenson's Punisher could have been better if the movie writing wasn't absolute crap.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Baresark said:
The Thomas Jane movie was based on the run by Garth Ennis, which I think he handled the best in recent memory as far as the writing was concerned. I also feel that Ray Stevenson's Punisher could have been better if the movie writing wasn't absolute crap.
Actually both movies were based on Ennis' work. Specifically the Jane one was based on "Welcome back Frank" reboot after that heaven punisher debacle. A good chunk of Warzone was Punisher Max villians, which Garth Ennis wrote the majority of. In fact, I think all of villains from Punisher Max written by Ennis were in the movie. Specifically volumes 1-6.

I do agree that Warzone writting was pretty bad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Baresark said:
The Thomas Jane movie was based on the run by Garth Ennis, which I think he handled the best in recent memory as far as the writing was concerned. I also feel that Ray Stevenson's Punisher could have been better if the movie writing wasn't absolute crap.
Actually both movies were based on Ennis' work. Specifically the Jane one was based on "Welcome back Frank" reboot after that heaven punisher debacle. A good chunk of Warzone was Punisher Max villians, which Garth Ennis wrote the majority of. In fact, I think all of villains from Punisher Max written by Ennis were in the movie. Specifically volumes 1-6.

I do agree that Warzone writting was pretty bad.
Oh god.. that Punisher getting angelic powers was the dumbest thing I have ever read. It was just a really bad idea. Of all the ways to evolve the character, I don't think there could have been a worse idea.

I didn't realize he did the Max stuff as well. I guess I just have a tendency to avoid the non continuity stuff. Part of my love of comics was always the fact that the entire universe was on one continuum. I tried the various Max/Knights books, but they were just endless strings of violence with not a whole lot of story to tell in the interim, at least in my little experience. You clearly have more experience with them than I do, so I digress. Either way, I think a return to movies that were like the 2004 Punisher would be awesome.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I'm torn inbetween saying:
Thomas Jane as the punisher again, I must be dreaming.
And
Thomas Jane was the best live-action punisher, period.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
That was fantastic, It's great to see him in the roll again, even if just for ten minutes. I'd be really happy if this somehow got hyped enough to get him into another Punisher movie. Regardless though, still happy to get even this.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Baresark said:
I didn't realize he did the Max stuff as well. I guess I just have a tendency to avoid the non continuity stuff. Part of my love of comics was always the fact that the entire universe was on one continuum. I tried the various Max/Knights books, but they were just endless strings of violence with not a whole lot of story to tell in the interim, at least in my little experience. You clearly have more experience with them than I do, so I digress. Either way, I think a return to movies that were like the 2004 Punisher would be awesome.
I liked the Max stuff because it was fairly grounded in reality to a certain degree. It was kind of like a "What if he was real" series. He dealt with the mob a lot and even killed off sex traffickers who would kidnap woman from their home country.

Warzone had characters, scenes and partial story arcs in it.

Difference was that the movie, it was this guy getting impaled.

Excuse the poor photo quality, I took pictures of the pages from my books.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Baresark said:
I liked the Max stuff because it was fairly grounded in reality to a certain degree. It was kind of like a "What if he was real" series. He dealt with the mob a lot and even killed off sex traffickers who would kidnap woman from their home country.

Warzone had characters, scenes and partial story arcs in it.

Difference was that the movie, it was this guy getting impaled.

Excuse the poor photo quality, I took pictures of the pages from my books.
Yes. I do remember that. One miniseries I thoroughly enjoyed was Baracuda, which was an offshoot of the Max Punisher. Not too sure on the specifics, but it was a fun read.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Wow...

goddamn

lacktheknack said:
Is - is that how limbs work?

I don't think that's how limbs work.

Or whiskey, for that matter.
I'm not sure, but I think I remember whiskey burns blue... Not that I'm complaining. Also, yes, you can get limbs to do that, but no, they don't work afterwards.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Thomas Jane is a very sexy man, but I think he pulls off the "look" of the Punisher very well. YMMV. But with the number of different artists who have worked on the character over the years, I don't think there's an overly specific visual identity attached to it. Big, dark hair, scowls a lot, likes black. Beyond that, there's plenty of room for interpretation.

And no, limbs don't work like that and whiskey doesn't work like that, but as someone else pointed out, so what? This is comic book violence. And it's awesome!
Ironically, he is pretty spot on to the Steve Dillon version, which is fitting given the 2004 film was loosely based on Welcome Home Frank.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
You know, I checked out Tom Jane's Punisher not long ago for the first time. I read up on the critiques beforehand, so didn't expect much, but I came away wondering what why they hated it so much. Seemed pretty good to me. Not exactly academy award material, but very watchable.

DVS BSTrD said:
Do all gangsters have Vrolik Syndrome?
And he never DID explain the difference.
I think the point is that justice is dished out by an appointed judiciary, whilst punishment is delivered by the person who has suffered at the hands of the accused. Castle allows the woman to either forgive him, or "punish" him. I think the gangster would've pretty much understood what he meant and, if not, well, guess he'll never find out.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
This NEEDS to happen, Punisher deserves another movie (no I'm not counting Warzone). But next time, keep the CGI blood, understandable why it was there, but if I get a AAA movie, I want my blood to be real people!
Oh, and just as a side-note, I wish I could break a dude's arm with a bottle of Jack.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
amazing. best 10 min ever with even pearlam in it. already love the punisher. never watched the other one. was even funnier to have the dark knight music in it but it worked well.

was wondering when he will kill these guys. great bottle. worth the 20$ i guess if it can withstand such punishment :p

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Oh, and just as a side-note, I wish I could break a dude's arm with a bottle of Jack.
Learn Aikido? Maybe?

Honestly as someone who actually drinks Jack, I can believe immediately that the bottle can survive that. And a filled 750ml bottle is certainly heavy enough to use as a club like that...

It's the plastic caps that break.