Thor: God of Thunder Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Thor: God of Thunder Review

Can't touch this ... no, really, don't touch it.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Concerning Marvel UA 1&2 at the end...I recommend UA1 if you want a bit of a hack n slash RPG. UA2 is more of a straightforward beat em up, with less skills and equipment. I also recommend both in general.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
A movie license game is bad. Is anyone surprised by this? My question is, who keeps buying these games? I mean, obviously they're profitable enough because they keep producing them.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Wuggy said:
A movie license game is bad. Is anyone surprised by this? My question is, who keeps buying these games? I mean, obviously they're profitable enough because they keep producing them.
I would say parents since its only parents of kids who like these characters that I have ever seen buy these type of games.

I personally will rent it just for laughs someday.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Concerning Marvel UA 1&2 at the end...I recommend UA1 if you want a bit of a hack n slash RPG. UA2 is more of a straightforward beat em up, with less skills and equipment. I also recommend both in general.
Yeah, I liked the first one MUCH better than the second one. The sequel got rid of the RPG stuff I liked so much the first time around.

Also, no Dr. Strange? Screw that.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Wuggy said:
Well, considering they only cost $20 to make and they release them for every single platform known to man, they probably don't have to sell very many to make a profit

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Vigilantis said:
Wuggy said:
I would say parents since its only parents of kids who like these characters that I have ever seen buy these type of games.
It's either that or a bragging rights thing. The producers want to have a video game to go with the movie because it's an action movie made from a comic book and that's what you're supposed to do.

Fr said:
anc[is]

Well, considering they only cost $20 to make and they release them for every single platform known to man, they probably don't have to sell very many to make a profit
Also this.

They really should stop though, this kind of mindless crap can only hurt the industry.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Wuggy said:
Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's like what The Asylum does, if you don't know what that is, look it up. They make mock-ups of popular movie titles with low budget to make people accidentally buy their movie instead. Their mock up of Transformers 2 was actually better than the original though.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
You know this game is bad if someone recommends you to buy Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and from what I heard, that game has glitches.

Also I like to add that it's better to buy the first Ultimate Alliance since you have a choice to play as other Marvel heroes, including Iron Man from Iron Man 2: The Game.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
You just can't expect any quality from rushed games like this, but, eh, if you had fun with *some* of what was in Thor: The Cash-In, it sounds like a good buy once it hits the bargain rack.

What were the other gems?

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Wuggy said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
Wuggy said:
Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's like what The Asylum does, if you don't know what that is, look it up. They make mock-ups of popular movie titles with low budget to make people accidentally buy their movie instead. Their mock up of Transformers 2 was actually better than the original though.
Speaking of the Asylum...which is worse, Thor: God of Thunder video game or Almighty Thor the mockbuster from the Asylum?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Fursnake said:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...
Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Excellent review, despite (or because of? ;D) the painful Hammer jokes.

It's kind of a shame that the tie-in for Thor was typical movie tie-in fare - although I have actually played enjoyable movie tie-in games before, their reputation is by and large very well-deserved. For whatever faults Thor had as a movie, I thought its aesthetic and sheer ludicrous premise would have been particularly well-suited for an over-the-top, no-holds-barred, at-least-decently-enjoyable videogame.

Nearly 30 years after the terribad movie tie-in game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(video_game)], we're only just now getting amazing license titles like the aforemention Arkham Asylum. Maybe in another 30 years we'll have good movie tie-ins, eh?

EDIT:
Swifteye said:
Fursnake said:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...
Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.
Plus, Sega did not develop the game, they only published it. Liquid Entertainment did the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, with Red Fly and WayForward Technologies picking up the Wii and DS versions respectively. You can blame those companies for a bad game - all Sega did was basically say, "yes, we would like free money."

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Canid117 said:
Twilight.falls said:
I really wish at least one licensed game would be good. Not just fine, but good.

Oh did you mean a movie tie in game?
Technically this is not a movie tie in game. It's based mostly on the comic book world/mythos, but in general on the entire Batman "universe".

Really, if you look at them, the Arkham Asylum Batman isn't even modeled on any of the movie versions:
[http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q403/shralps/?action=view&amp;current=got_milk_batman_dark_knight_ad.jpg]
I mean, yeah, there's similarities because it's, y'know, BATMAN, but the game is NOT based solely on the movies, and doesn't really qualify, in my opinion, as a movie tie in. I suppose your mileage may vary, based on your own opinions.