Thor: God of Thunder Review

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Zom-B said:
Canid117 said:
Twilight.falls said:
I really wish at least one licensed game would be good. Not just fine, but good.

Oh did you mean a movie tie in game?
Technically this is not a movie tie in game. It's based mostly on the comic book world/mythos, but in general on the entire Batman "universe".

Really, if you look at them, the Arkham Asylum Batman isn't even modeled on any of the movie versions:
[http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q403/shralps/?action=view&current=got_milk_batman_dark_knight_ad.jpg]
I mean, yeah, there's similarities because it's, y'know, BATMAN, but the game is NOT based solely on the movies, and doesn't really qualify, in my opinion, as a movie tie in. I suppose your mileage may vary, based on your own opinions.
I didn't say it was a movie tie in. That is why that post says "OH did you mean a movie tie in?" at the end.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Twilight.falls said:
Yes, movie tie ins. I suppose I should have been more specific.
PopcornAvenger said:
What were the other gems?
Of fairly recent titles that come to mind: Chronicles of Riddick, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Lord of The Rings: Twin Towers and Spider-man 2 were all pretty decent or at least well above the average for these kind of games. Certainly Goldeneye is the game that every movie tie-in game wishes it could be, but that one actually falls out of bounds a bit by not being developed concurrent with the film. The film came out in 95 and the game in 97.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Canid117 said:
Twilight.falls said:
I really wish at least one licensed game would be good. Not just fine, but good.

Oh did you mean a movie tie in game?
To be fair, that game was made by fans for fans. It was an act of love. And that's love of the source material, not love of money. This game was clearly nothing but a money grab.

I don't know why people are surprised that movie tie-ins are always bad. They don't have enough time to make the game properly. It's like being asked to build a fighter jet in a hour. You're not getting anything good.

nerfando

May 21, 2009
Though I have gone through many stilted experiences with movie tie-in games (early in my gaming life, thank goodness), I've always wondered if any gems exist in this ill-fated sub-category of games.

As far as movie tie-in games go, for example, I've always loved the Aladdin games for the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis - both came out at the same time, but were entirely different games made by different developers. Am I blinded by the fact that Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies or were they actually good games? I'm not even entirely sure, but hell, every now and then I'll go back and play them and to my satisfaction, they remain still fun as ever. Oh well. *shrug*

Oh and I also liked Goof Troop a lot for the SNES too, although technically not a movie tie-in game per se, I feel it's sort of in the same category, no?

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
nerfando said:
Though I have gone through many stilted experiences with movie tie-in games (early in my gaming life, thank goodness), I've always wondered if any gems exist in this ill-fated sub-category of games.

As far as movie tie-in games go, for example, I've always loved the Aladdin games for the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis - both came out at the same time, but were entirely different games made by different developers. Am I blinded by the fact that Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies or were they actually good games? I'm not even entirely sure, but hell, every now and then I'll go back and play them and to my satisfaction, they remain still fun as ever. Oh well. *shrug*

Oh and I also liked Goof Troop a lot for the SNES too, although technically not a movie tie-in game per se, I feel it's sort of in the same category, no?
no i liked aladdin alot too :). i've only played the sega version though, but i was very young when i played it so who knows maybe it is bad.

and i can think of a decent movie tie-in game. wasn't spider man 2 on the ps2 based off the movie? the one where you can free roam and had upgrading like prototype. my memories fuzzy but i remember loving that and im pretty sure its based off the movie.

J.J

Aug 24, 2009
SergeantAnt said:
nerfando said:

no i liked aladdin alot too :). i've only played the sega version though, but i was very young when i played it so who knows maybe it is bad.

and i can think of a decent movie tie-in game. wasn't spider man 2 on the ps2 based off the movie? the one where you can free roam and had upgrading like prototype. my memories fuzzy but i remember loving that and im pretty sure its based off the movie.
Recent played and everything, both the SNES and Genesis versions of Aladdin are actually solid and fun. For more "tie-ins", since Goof Troop (don't agree buuuut...) counts are the Mickey Mouse Magical Quest games for SNES, Tiny Toon Adventures both NES and SNES, and some will go to bat for Lion King (don't agree buuuut...).

I guess the complexity of a "good game" now, without costing too much and reaching deadlines while sticking to a level of the movie's script is what kills the chance of having a good true tie-in movie game. Last best example I can think of is the Matrix. Note: Best, not necessarily good. ;)

nerfando

May 21, 2009
J.J said:
SergeantAnt said:
nerfando said:
*post*
Recent played and everything, both the SNES and Genesis versions of Aladdin are actually solid and fun. For more "tie-ins", since Goof Troop (don't agree buuuut...) counts are the Mickey Mouse Magical Quest games for SNES, Tiny Toon Adventures both NES and SNES, and some will go to bat for Lion King (don't agree buuuut...).

I guess the complexity of a "good game" now, without costing too much and reaching deadlines while sticking to a level of the movie's script is what kills the chance of having a good true tie-in movie game. Last best example I can think of is the Matrix. Note: Best, not necessarily good. ;)
Dude Mickey's Magical Quest, hell yes. Capcom was really on the ball with the Disney licenses back in the day. And I have very fond memories of the Tiny Toons for SNES, I think it was Buster Busts Loose developed by Konami. I remember specifically the football level vs. Perfecto. Man, good times.

I don't have ill-memories of the Lion King game. I remember it being fun, but in terms of replayability (even for nostalgia), I think I've replayed more of the others for sure.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
I quite enjoyed Spider Man 2.
It wasn't great, but it was good.

J.J

Aug 24, 2009
nerfando said:
J.J said:
SergeantAnt said:
nerfando said:
*post*
*snip*
Dude Mickey's Magical Quest, hell yes. Capcom was really on the ball with the Disney licenses back in the day. And I have very fond memories of the Tiny Toons for SNES, I think it was Buster Busts Loose developed by Konami. I remember specifically the football level vs. Perfecto. Man, good times.

I don't have ill-memories of the Lion King game. I remember it being fun, but in terms of replayability (even for nostalgia), I think I've replayed more of the others for sure.
I dunno man. Me and Lion King could never get along. Although, to be fair, I haven't played that one recently. I just remember the 16-bit "I Can't Wait To Be King" repeating as I lost my lives like my car keys. One day, I'll try it again.

But hell yeah to everything else! And yeah, it was Buster Busts Loose. Football level was hype, I don't even know why.

A little more back on topic-ish: I remember my friend actually telling me the Chronicles of Riddick games were good. I think those are movie tie-ins (at least the first one) and at a quick Google glance, they seem to have 4+ star reviews.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
This review was clearly done just as an excuse to play that song at the end.
I approve.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Fursnake said:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...
And the Sonic Fandom is to video games what the Twilight Fandom is to novels...fucking psychotic.

So yeah, no argument on your point my friend.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
PopcornAvenger said:
You just can't expect any quality from rushed games like this, but, eh, if you had fun with *some* of what was in Thor: The Cash-In, it sounds like a good buy once it hits the bargain rack.

What were the other gems?
I had fun with Tron: Evolution, if that counts.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
Okay guys, you want a good Thor game? Play the movie tie-in game on the Nintendo DS. It's a side-scroller beat-em up and it's really really good. The graphics are bright and colourful with great animations, the controls and responsive with an incredibly satisfying combat system and it's just a lot of fun. The enemy types repeat a lot though but as soon as you get bored with a level it chucks in a great boss battle.

You want a good tie-in game? Get Thor on the DS. Worth it =D

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ive played several movie tie in games that have been at least fun, not very deep mind you but fun. I 1000 pointed Kung Fu Panda because I enjoyed playing it so much. Its nice to have an easy game to chill out to after abit of full on, hardcore gaming. This however seems to be not just shallow but frustrating, which is a shame because it seems to at least partially go in to the Marvel:Thor mythos which I would like to see a little more of.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
I don't really consider X-Men: Origins, Wolverine a cash-in, because it was that good. Kudos to Raven for such a great game.