Thor: God of Thunder Review

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
The funny thing is that the game play actually looked fun when it had hammer time playing over the top haha.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Swifteye said:
Fursnake said:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...
Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.
I am not saying all of Sega's games are bad. Actually I am referring to Sega and their movie-game tie-ins and Uwe Bol and his movies based on video games. Sega makes crap movie-game tie-ins just like Uwe Bol makes crap movies based on video games.

larysalove

Apr 15, 2011
Not every comic book needs to be a video game. Not every movie should be a video game. Things get hackneyed after a while.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
"Ares and the Wanderer"? You mean Kratos and the Wanderer, right? In God of War you play as Kratos not Ares.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
I remember having a lot of fun with the first three Harry Potter games when I was younger, OK, I had lower standards but still.

But yeah this game just looks horribly boring.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Wuggy said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
Wuggy said:
A movie license game is bad. Is anyone surprised by this? My question is, who keeps buying these games? I mean, obviously they're profitable enough because they keep producing them.
Well, considering they only cost $20 to make and they release them for every single platform known to man, they probably don't have to sell very many to make a profit
Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's like what The Asylum does, if you don't know what that is, look it up. They make mock-ups of popular movie titles with low budget to make people accidentally buy their movie instead. Their mock up of Transformers 2 was actually better than the original though.
anychance you could provide a link or PM to them im intristed lol

Captcha:designed ridepho
So now Captcha designed somthing

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Fursnake said:
Swifteye said:
Fursnake said:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...
Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.
I am not saying all of Sega's games are bad. Actually I am referring to Sega and their movie-game tie-ins and Uwe Bol and his movies based on video games. Sega makes crap movie-game tie-ins just like Uwe Bol makes crap movies based on video games.
How many movie tie in games has sega made in comparison to other companies? I always sort of assumed random 3rd party companies make movie tie in games not a specific one every time.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Canid117 said:
I didn't say it was a movie tie in. That is why that post says "OH did you mean a movie tie in?" at the end.
Oh,my bad. I thought you meant that it was a movie tie-in. As you were.

Polarix

Jul 3, 2009
yellowhead said:
Okay guys, you want a good Thor game? Play the movie tie-in game on the Nintendo DS. It's a side-scroller beat-em up and it's really really good. The graphics are bright and colourful with great animations, the controls and responsive with an incredibly satisfying combat system and it's just a lot of fun. The enemy types repeat a lot though but as soon as you get bored with a level it chucks in a great boss battle.

You want a good tie-in game? Get Thor on the DS. Worth it =D
Totally agree with you man, the DS version of this game was really good. The 2d sidescrolling works well with it and I was pleasently surprised by it after how bad the other versions were. Although I guess sort of makes sense that it was good since it was developed by WayForward Technologies, who created the Shantae series and Contra 4 which are both really good.

If anyone wants to see what it's like, here is a video of it. It's kind of short but you'll get the jist of what the gameplay is like in it.

Edit: I changed the video because the previous video was taken down just about two days after I made this post. Again kind of a short video but I couldn't find a better one on Youtube to be honest.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
Polarix said:
yellowhead said:
Okay guys, you want a good Thor game? Play the movie tie-in game on the Nintendo DS. It's a side-scroller beat-em up and it's really really good. The graphics are bright and colourful with great animations, the controls and responsive with an incredibly satisfying combat system and it's just a lot of fun. The enemy types repeat a lot though but as soon as you get bored with a level it chucks in a great boss battle.

You want a good tie-in game? Get Thor on the DS. Worth it =D
Totally agree with you man, the DS version of this game was really good. The 2d sidescrolling works well with it and I was pleasently surprised by it after how bad the other versions were. Although I guess sort of makes sense that it was good since it was developed by WayForward Technologies, who created the Shantae series and Contra 4 which are both really good.

If anyone wants to see what it's like, here is a video of it. It's kind of short but you'll get the jist of what the gameplay is like in it.
Actually that's not a very good trailer =S It shows off the boss battles nicely but it makes the combat look sluggish and dull and that's really not the case.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Isn't it about time some smart developer make an engine especially designed for movies tie-in?

Most summer flicks follow very similar patterns. You could very well make an engine that is just flexible enough to make a great (albeit slightly repetitive) game in a very short development cycle. Just make the engine capable of handling different types of enemies and events, support all the trappings of the genre,then mash them in "drag and drop building block" development style. Heck, a dev could even throw in a few curveballs every game--I mean, if Bliz's World Editor and Source/Unreal engine can be flexible enough to handle all the mods, I'm sure an engine design around flexibility will handle movie tie-ins fine. Or at least it will be better than what they have nowadays.

JakBandit2208

Jun 11, 2009
PopcornAvenger said:
I don't really consider X-Men: Origins, Wolverine a cash-in, because it was that good. Kudos to Raven for such a great game.
It's kinda funny that the game is what the movie should have been.

Niljen

May 10, 2011
oh I forgot: "God of thunder da da daaaam, and Rock'n Rououl, baaaam da da da da data" :)