Thor: God of Thunder Review

Sep 17, 2009
Why would you guys review this game?

We all knew it was going to be terrible, could you please review Brink instead?

OT: I just assume all tie-ins are bad. This is no exception.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
lessee good movie tie ins

goldeneye
super star wars for snes
lion king for snes
aliens vs predator 1999 (that wasnt a strict movie tie in but used the style of the individual movies to great effect)

and dammit I LIKED ET for atari....

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A video game tie-in that's crap, whooda thunk it?

The Wolverine game based on the movie is pretty much the only example I can think of where not only is the game good, but that it was better than the movie.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Nautical Honors Society said:

You can hear the reasoning in the podcast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/3215-Escapist-Podcast-003] this week, but the short answer is that Steve wanted to wait and play Brink with the community and Thor was a good game to cut my teeth on. Also, some people may or may not have been getting me back for previous comments on not having to review/only playing games that I enjoy.

Sep 17, 2009
Slycne said:
Nautical Honors Society said:

You can hear the reasoning in the podcast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/3215-Escapist-Podcast-003] this week, but the short answer is that Steve wanted to wait and play Brink with the community and Thor was a good game to cut my teeth on. Also, some people may or may not have been getting me back for previous comments on not having to review/only playing games that I enjoy.
That makes sense thanks for clearing it up for me.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
I would have considered buying that game if all fights were somehow choreographed to "Hammer Time", that looked hella fun.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
plexxiss said:
what is the point in reviewing a game which is clearly not going to get a good score. i can only imagine the decision was made because time was limited or it was just easier to review a game where you only need to list criticsm which could go for most movie tie ins.
Seriously?

The point of reviews is to inform surely; I want to be informed about the bad as well as the good so I can target my gaming $$$ effectively.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
plexxiss said:
-|- said:
plexxiss said:
what is the point in reviewing a game which is clearly not going to get a good score. i can only imagine the decision was made because time was limited or it was just easier to review a game where you only need to list criticsm which could go for most movie tie ins.
Seriously?

The point of reviews is to inform surely; I want to be informed about the bad as well as the good so I can target my gaming $$$ effectively.
They dont review all games and are you trying to tell me you were undeccided on wether you should buy. all im saying is that there really was no point in reviewing this since no member of this site is going to consider buying it.
Actually, I can see your point. For this game you are quite right - nobody here is going anywhere near this game.

I will say though, that whilst the review has no value for us, it might have for the person who thinks it sounds cool, googles for a review and finds this (they may even then join the community - a win for the site). Also this game appears to be so bad that it didn't even meet the already low expectations of it - there is value in pointing that out too.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
-|- said:
plexxiss said:
-|- said:
plexxiss said:
Seriously?

They dont review all games and are you trying to tell me you were undeccided on wether you should buy. all im saying is that there really was no point in reviewing this since no member of this site is going to consider buying it.
Actually, I can see your point. For this game you are quite right - nobody here is going anywhere near this game.

I will say though, that whilst the review has no value for us, it might have for the person who thinks it sounds cool, googles for a review and finds this (they may even then join the community - a win for the site). Also this game appears to be so bad that it didn't even meet the already low expectations of it - there is value in pointing that out too.
Um, thanks but I'm here and I not only own but love (as does anyone who's played it with me so far) this game. I respectfully disagree with the reviewer but it's flat not true that no one here bought it or cared about it. I think they did a fine job and feel that I got my $50 worth. One problem that I do have with the review though is that there are many game mechanics that never even get a mention?? It was quickly clear that you thought it was bad, but could you please give more actual information about the mechanics and features of the games you seriously review?

warthoggunner

Oct 11, 2009
They could have made this an awesome RPG where you (as Thor) and your
friends (Volstagg, Sif and the other 2 guys) have epic adventures.
A prequel game, maybe...

But this... is lame.

I will dust off Viking: Battle for Asgard instead.
Way more fun and I already own it.