Thor Goes Retro in 8-Bit Web Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Thor Goes Retro in 8-Bit Web Game

The Asgard God of Thunder has ventured back in time to when games were simpler, and viewed entirely from the side.

Thor is a pretty old-school kind of hero, so it makes sense that he'd star in an old-school game. What's a little more surprising though, is that not only is the free web game actually a great deal of fun, but it also manages to make the rather brawny Thor look adorable.

The game, entitled "Thor: Bring the Thunder" casts the player as the titular God of Thunder in a side-scrolling action platformer. The game has eleven levels, split across four different worlds, and sees Thor battling trolls, dark elves, an evil sorceress, and even a dragon. There's also a survival mode where Thor must battle against his foes for as long as he can.

The game plays like a mix of Golden Axe and Mega Man, although sadly, without the rideable chicken-lizard-things of the former, or the stolen weaponry of the latter. It probably won't take you long get through it, even if you play through it again on "Epic" difficulty, but it's a fun little distraction and it won't cost you a dime. There are a few nods to the comics as well, with appearances from the Enchantress and the Absorbing Man.

You can check Thor: Bring the Lightning out on the official Marvel site [http://marvel.com/games/play/56/thor_bring_the_thunder], along with plenty of other comic book themed games.

Source: via Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/05/this-is-the-thor-game-you-want-to-play.aspx]

McPulse

Mar 23, 2011
There was 8-bit in the title, but it wasn't minecraft. How disappointing in an overtly nerdy way.

On the bright side, this looks quite playable.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
The stick up my ass tells me that this is hardly "8" bit -- there's 16 of them in that screen shot alone, at the very least!
But that would spoil your headline, wouldn't it, Journalistic_Integrity-kun?

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Looks like an interesting take on Mega Man. Could be fun.

Does anyone have advice on getting it to play, though? It gets to 100% loaded and then nothing happens. There is no play button. :(

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
It wasn't bad. Controls were a little loose but, I suppose that's retro too

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
sooperman said:

Does anyone have advice on getting it to play, though? It gets to 100% loaded and then nothing happens. There is no play button. :(
I had to turn off NoScript to play it, along with Ad Block Plus, so give that a try

(Note: They are always turned off for this site)

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Gaderael said:
sooperman said:

I had to turn off NoScript to play it, along with Ad Block Plus, so give that a try

(Note: They are always turned off for this site)
Yeah, that was it. My add-on did me in, it seems. Thanks!

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Ah, leaps of faith... and here I thought those were a thing of the past.

And they are.