Thor: Ragnarok Will Co-Star Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Thor: Ragnarok Will Co-Star Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk

The upcoming Thor: Ragnarok will see Thor teaming up with The Hulk for adventures and hi-jinks.

Variety [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed] is reporting, claiming that Ruffalo is in final negotiations to reprise his role in the upcoming film.

While Hulk fans are no doubt upset that the green giant hasn't gotten a stand-alone flick since Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk back in 2008, having him star alongside Thor in a kind of "buddy flick" is the next best thing.

Current rumors suggest that Thor: Ragnarok's plot features a "cosmic road trip" with Thor and Hulk that will also see the Asgardian characters Valkyrie and the Enchantress making their big-screen debuts.

Tom Hiddleston and Jaimie Alexander will return to the roles of Loki and Sif respectively for the movie, which was written by Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle, co-writers on Thor: The Dark World.

It seems odd to throw the Hulk in with Thor for this one, but we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Who knows, it may even be a set-up for the fan-favorite Planet Hulk [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hulk] storyline?

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mark-ruffalo-thor-ragnarok-hulk-1201619246/]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If he Enchantress will be in the movie, I wonder if there will be a side reference to Lorelei's adventure on Midgard.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'm hoping that they're gonna start having The Hulk start to be his own character. Seems to me that, at least in the comics, it's less common to see Bruce because he's almost always The Hulk, yet the movies have been just the opposite so far. Also...
Steven Bogos said:
It seems odd to throw the Hulk in with Thor for this one, but we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Who knows, it may even be a set-up for the fan-favorite Planet Hulk [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hulk] storyline?
"Might" nothing. I can guarantee you that setting-up Planet Hulk (which is already announced, I believe) is the entire reason why they have him tagging along for Ragnarok.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
The way this article is worded, all I can think of is a buddy cop movie featuring Thor and the Hulk.

And nothing about that does not sound awesome to me.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Awesome. More Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk is great news and it'll add a little something to a Thor movie, since they seem to be the more mediocre of the Marvel films. That's a win-win.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
"Might" nothing. I can guarantee you that setting-up Planet Hulk (which is already announced, I believe) is the entire reason why they have him tagging along for Ragnarok.
I thought somebody from Marvel had said that they're not doing Planet Hulk. I'd like to be wrong on that. I enjoyed that story. And if a certain rumor is true, they could include the Silver Surfer cameo in it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hulk as a co-star makes really good sense for the character. It really helps alleviate most of the issues the hulk movies fell prey to. Good news!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Well when you are trying to stop the end of the world, you're gonna want a heavy hitter with you.
I'd prefer one who might not smash the planet into oblivion.

theSovietConnection said:
The way this article is worded, all I can think of is a buddy cop movie featuring Thor and the Hulk.

And nothing about that does not sound awesome to me.
"Hulk getting too old for this..."
*giant worm devours Hulk*

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
Well when you are trying to stop the end of the world, you're gonna want a heavy hitter with you.
Yeah, this actually reminds me of the White Wolf game Scion, and how there was a Ragnarok campaign published. I always thought one of the easiest ways to justify breaking Ragnarok, (something that is supposedly etched in stone, fated by Destiny), would be to introduce outside sources of power that simply weren't part of the Norse pantheon and lore. Like having Scions that had access to Purview's that the Norse did not (Earth purview by the way, none of them have it oddly enough).

So yeah, introducing such a free radical like THE HULK into your prophecy events is an excellent way to shake things up, and hopefully prevent it. xD

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Make sense seeing how Hulk won't be getting his own movie any time soon.

There gonna need someone to witness the destruction of Midgard and the death of Thor and co so why not the big green industructable machine?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*siigh* Hulk vs.

Announcing The Hulk/Thor movie with the Enchantress as a lead in character only makes me think they're recycling the Hulk vs. cartoon movie to live action. Thor goes to Asgard to try to find something to stop Thanos and/or be there while Odin sleeps one off. Hulk is teleported to Asgard by Loki's trickery. Enchantress mind controls the Hulk to destroy Asgard and/or has Loki change bodies with the Hulk. Thor fights Hulk and wins, but only after some big loss. They defeat Loki and he gets away with the Enchantress. End film.

Jan 12, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
I thought somebody from Marvel had said that they're not doing Planet Hulk. I'd like to be wrong on that. I enjoyed that story. And if a certain rumor is true, they could include the Silver Surfer cameo in it.
Current reports are that Ruffalo has said he's interested in doing one, but everyone from James Gunn to Joss Whedon to Kevin Feige have said it's not happening, at least in the foreseeable future. In addition to the fact that they want the Hulk around for the next few Avengers/crossover movies, and that Planet Hulk would be stripping out most of the Marvel universe and throwing Ruffalo in a sink-or-swim situation, there's also the problem that the storyline makes everyone look like dicks. Hulk is a monster who causes a massacre, his friends ship him to the other side of the universe, and Hulk learns a valuable lesson about friendship, loyalty and controlling his strength... then comes back to Earth and flattens New York. That does not sell a lot of toys.

It would be interesting to see, but the MCU is not going to want to do that, or be in a position to do it, for a long time yet.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Armadox said:
*siigh* Hulk vs.

Announcing The Hulk/Thor movie with the Enchantress as a lead in character only makes me think they're recycling the Hulk vs. cartoon movie to live action. Thor goes to Asgard to try to find something to stop Thanos and/or be there while Odin sleeps one off. Hulk is teleported to Asgard by Loki's trickery. Enchantress mind controls the Hulk to destroy Asgard and/or has Loki change bodies with the Hulk. Thor fights Hulk and wins, but only after some big loss. They defeat Loki and he gets away with the Enchantress. End film.
So much this. Why else would they have Hulk in there? Either that or Hulk/Thor "somehow" found each other and Hulk wanted to get away ergo the whole mind control schtick

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I do find myself hoping that Hulk, in his adventure with Thor, finds himself on a savage world that would fit with the Planet Hulk storyline.

It wouldn't allow for the world war hulk sequel that follows in the comic storyline as there'd be no revenge to be sought as no one banished him, though it would allow for hulk and his warbound to come blazing in to the Infinity War when they need backup as a group of the heaviest kind of hitters.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
As much as I love Planet Hulk, doing that movie would mean that the other characters utterly screwed Banner over the course of the next few films. Which could happen. I suppose they could also pull some other method of banishing him (eg: Thanos punts him cross-galaxy).