Thou Shalt Not Kill Radroaches

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Thou Shalt Not Kill Radroaches

In the post-nuclear wasteland of Fallout 3, it?s kill or be killed. Or is it?

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've recently been playing Skyrim the same way, although not quite as strictly.

Unfortunately the overpowered stealth and availability of the 'calm' spell kinda take the challenge out of it. Nifty idea though.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
This was actually one of the more emphasized points of the game upon release, that you could complete the game while only killing one radroach. It was one of the big subjects on boards like NMA and DAC (when they weren't discussing how much Fallout 3 was an afront to the "real" fallout games), with people discussing just how hard/contrieved/silly it would be to do a pacifist run.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
So exactly how did NV help no kill runs more than 3? I haven't played 3, and I don't think I could do a no kill run to be honest.

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
Pacifist runs can be a lot of fun. I know I spent a lot of hours in the Thief games sneaking about not killing anyone. Needed to memorize patrols and use all sorts of tools to do it but it was a blast. Never did a pacifist run in Fallout 3 but I'm glad to know it's possible.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
So exactly how did NV help no kill runs more than 3? I haven't played 3, and I don't think I could do a no kill run to be honest.
Kills your companions made in FO3 didn't give you experience and speech checks had a percentage chance of being successful modified by your skill, as opposed to the way they did it in NV where you either could do it or not.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
This was a great article. And you have convinced me to do a pacifist run of New Vegas.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]
JaceArveduin said:
Kills your companions made in FO3 didn't give you experience and speech checks had a percentage chance of being successful modified by your skill, as opposed to the way they did it in NV where you either could do it or not.
Ah, okay. The percent chance for it to work or not sounds like fun.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Cuz having Boone in your party pretty much made it so everything within 20 miles of you had no heads.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
twistedheat15 said:
JaceArveduin said:
Cuz having Boone in your party pretty much made it so everything within 20 miles of you had no heads.
lol, good point. I loved Boone, and he was even more insane with realistic headshots. The only way I could get kills is if I killed them from 30 miles away with the .50

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
This sounds really cool - I'm going to see if I can do pacifist runs of my games. *checks game library*

...nope. :(

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Impressive dedication to it. I don't know if I would have been able to do it. Getting (and subsequently using) the Zeus Cannon that the BoS gives you is way too much fun. Though, it's nice to know that it is possible to do.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
copycatalyst said:
But don't blame me: I was just loading the gun and giving it to the firing squad. It's not like I pulled the trigger.
Now... that sounded like something... I know theres a TV tropes page for this...

Anyways, I never thought it possibly to play a lmost pacifist playthrough of FO3... hmm.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Huh, I kind of want to try this with my Fallout 3 mod. It has stun grenades and paralyzing darts, too, ideal for incapacitating human enemies without killing them.

Mar 30, 2010
An interesting read but one wonders why, in a game that is all about the fight for survival, you would choose not to fight. Surely this would only nominate you for a Darwin award...

"Ho there, band of raiders, I know that you've come to rape and plunder all that I hold dear, but I'm a man of peace."
"That may be a twelve foot long armour plated scorpion, but surely if we respect it's right to live it will respect ours."
"Hold still! Super mutant Behemoths can't see you if you don't move!"

These are all quotes from wastelanders. Specifically last quotes. Inscribed on their gravestones.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I tried to go Ghandi on their asses in that game but about an hour in I found myself beating a super mutant to death with a baseball bat...

I'm currently doing a run through of Skyrim Unarmed though. That should be interesting. No weapons, no magic, just my bare hands.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I do have to agree. Self-imposed rules do add a new way to look at the game. I'm not fond of pacifist runs, though.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I had a similar experience with Jak and Daxter, as far as "making your own challenge" goes. After beating the game twice within three days, getting 100% completion on both games, I decided I needed to get more from my $20; so I started a game and said "maybe I can beat the game without collecting a single Precursor Orb". The orbs, for those who never played it, are roughly equivalent to the coins in Mario as far as frequency. They don't give you a 1-up when you get 100, but they have the same "you practically trip over them" commonality to them.

Turns-out... I couldn't beat the game without getting any Orbs, but I got pretty damn close [http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/516509-jak-and-daxter-the-precursor-legacy/faqs/31569]. Makes me wonder if anyone from Naughty Dog ever caught wind of that challenge, and what they thought of it.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Chinese stealth suit. 'Nuff said.

And for what it's worth, I did a true Deus Ex pacifist run. And I mean no kills at all, not even Anna Navarre.