Thoughts On Humanity and Bionics

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Contemplating morality and mortality lately, since we seem to be living in such fragile times.

“Bionics means the replacement or enhancement of organs or other body parts by mechanical versions.” Kinda like a real life Deus Ex. Or perhaps there might be an even better biological solution with enough medical/technological advancements (more below).

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...d-brain-study-identifies-serotonin-as-trigger

Was reading this article and got me thinking of how good it would be to not have to be plagued with the plethora of possible health issues out there, especially involving digestion and respiratory illnesses like COVID. Think of how much cleaner and disease-free the world would be if people didn’t need a digestive or respiratory system; basically the only biological thing would be our brains and maybe the greater nervous system. How much needless death could be prevented, etc. Of course, we’d have to ethically address things like reproduction, population trends and if it would be an elective or mandatory measure to essentially “replace” peoples *problem* organs. The first step would probably be perfecting genetic testing so that essentially anything could be predetermined and planned for.

Or are we destined/is it better to simply keep trudging along, trying to do the best with our flawed biology? Maybe in our efforts to perfect gene therapy for practically anything, and learning how to heal as efficiently as possible from anything life throws at us, revolutionize our dietary habits, etc., there could be a more case-sensitive approach to some combination of the two.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I've often thought that the sooner we all get turned into Cybermen or assimilated by the Borg the better.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm all for it. We're already using prosthetics to help people, why not go to the next stage?

That's not to say that there shouldn't be regulation, and if we're at the point where people willingly upgrade themselves, that's a potential issue, but we've been using medicine and science to improve our lives for centuries, so why stop now?

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Like medicine, cybernetics will only be readily available to the rich and famous. And imagine forever being under the yoke of Cyber Jeff Bezos.
And then, both he and Cyber-Musk get taken out by a faulty invention from Musk that generates a massive EMP and fries both their asses.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You might not believe this, but I don't have thick fur growing over my body, so I wear clothes. And shoes because I don't have hooves, and I use metal tools because I don't have claws.

Same thing.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
On the one hand, voluntary, uncoerced augmentation is cool as hell and should be implemented immediately.

On the other hand, cyberpunk is dystopian for a reason and that reason is capitalism.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There is an upper limit to my transhumanism, but we won't reach it in my lifetime. That upper limit isn't until we get much closer to the ship of theseus scenario, and by the time we as a species get there... probably won't be any viable DNA of me left for it to benefit me anyway.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Sooner the better. Bring on the augs baby!
I've got to an age where I fucking love the idea of replacing crappy, degrading body parts with bionics. Ah, to be young and not to ache like hell for days after exercise, not have muscles and tendons and ligaments go so easily...