Thoughts on the Gears of war 3 Ending (spoilers so many you will drown in them)

Spygon

May 16, 2009
After completing gears 3 i sat back watched the credits and thought to myself really was that it.After two really good endings from gears 1 and 2 i felt that the last one was all over the place and felt rather lack luster.Do not get me wrong i thought the game overall was awesome but the ending was going from boring to good every 5 minutes.

The run up to turn off the maelstorm was rather dull.Then getting the UIR forces turn up and the scene with marcus breaking the news was pretty awesome.Then back to taking out catapults was rather boring but then the game got awesome again with the three way battle between locust,lambient and the humans to the hotel.

The queen turns up and i am think awesome boss fight that was actually a rather dull switch flip moment.Then the chat with adam fenix and the really obivous for shadowing.Then you battle to the generator tower that was really good again.But then the queen comes back to a final boring boss fight that felt not very epic that they could have done so much more with.Then adman fenix gets killed by his own weapon that was obivous it was going to happen as soon as he mentioned what it did.Carmine just picks up his helmet that i thought with all the hype they could have made that scene so awesome but was rather yes he survived next scene.

Marcus takes of armour and wanders depressed to the beach where he sits down.Mentioning about all they lost and what was it worth.That anya awkardly tries to reassure him this does not seem like an end to a major trilogy.I t feel half baked and parts of it feels forced together.With a number of questions completly unanswered why have stories started doing this ending a major trilogy without answering some of the bigger questions

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I can agree with that. I did feel like some things were left out.

I think the most important thing they left out is the origin of the locust. After the whole big deal with those locust/human monsters in the second one (I can remember the name now). I was curious to see are the locust born or created or what. I was also curious as to why the queen was human looking.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
FangShadow said:
I can agree with that. I did feel like some things were left out.

I think the most important thing they left out is the origin of the locust. After the whole big deal with those locust/human monsters in the second one (I can remember the name now). I was curious to see are the locust born or created or what. I was also curious as to why the queen was human looking.
I agree it looked like Adam was about to drop a bombshell on who the locust were and who the queen was.But then he died and it does not get mentioned again.After the first end fight with the queen i thought she was going to come back lambient i think that would have been a good last boss fight.

Also the way the UIR turned up really could have been explained better.

Also there were hints that the stranded were planning something big that must of got forgot about half way through.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Honestly, story isn't one of Gears' virtues. You have your big ugly baddies, they want to destroy all of humanity for some apparent reason....? Go kill they a$$e$! In the first game it was just as dumb and simple, but it worked. In the second game you have a queen that looks human for some reason, and another group of baddies that just make the plot confusing. In the final installment when all hopes seems to be lost, the story throws a Deus Ex Machina and the good guys win.

Of course we still don't know nothing about the Locust and how they've lived underground for so long without human's knowing about them. A plot hole I was expecting Epic to cover up since it's been asked since the first.

I don't know, the game was big, loud and fun. Plus, it had some good character moments with Cole, and even Dom in the end. So there.

=/

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the questions left at the end are planned to be answered in DLC. Griffin was another big question mark, that little threat at the end of him and Marcus' clash made me think it wasn't the last we saw of him.

"Of course we still don't know nothing about the Locust and how they've lived underground for so long without human's knowing about them. A plot hole I was expecting Epic to cover up since it's been asked since the first."

I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere that the top people in the COG knew about the Locust but it was kept hush hush, in the same way Azura was.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Nomanslander said:
Honestly, story isn't one of Gears' virtues. You have your big ugly baddies, they want to destroy all of humanity for some apparent reason....? Go kill they a$$e$!

Of course we still don't know nothing about the Locust and how they've lived underground for so long without human's knowing about them. A plot hole I was expecting Epic to cover up since it's been asked since the first.

I don't know, the game was big, loud and fun. Plus, it had some good character moments with Cole, and even Dom in the end. So there.

=/
Pretty much this. I've played all Gears games, and it was never enough for me to call myself a genuine "fan" of the series. I've been mostly lukewarm to it due to it's fun gameplay aspects, and emphasis on coop which Gears 3 took a step further.

Storywise though, plotholes and massive omissions aren't exactly a "new" thing. All throughout the first game, I had no clue what the hell was going on. I didn't even know the game didn't take place on Earth. The rest of the series seemed to revel in references to seemingly important events, without actually even explaining them. It seems to me like obvious bait to get us to buy comics/books just to figure out what the hell is going on. But no thanks.
In my eyes, if the game doesn't give a damn about it's own story, then why should I?

The ending to Gears 3 was... disappointing. Storywise at least.
The token Deus Ex Machina machine goes off, saves the world. The Queen just herps and derps about humans before being killed. 3 minutes of brograbs and fist pumps. Marcus frowns. The end.
Not that I expected much to begin with. But no in-game explanation to the locust, or the locust queen? I thought it was very compelling that Adam seemed to know a lot about the Locust, more than anyone else does, and even negotiated with the Queen. I was looking forward to hearing some kind of explanation or backstory, but lol nah.

Story wasn't in any of my reasons for getting the game. I wanted to play through the campaign with 3 other friends. And the campaign was pretty great. The final fight against the Queen and her freakish flying fucker assisted with waves of her most elite guards was challenging, and quite fun. For gameplay reasons, I thought it was a good way for the series to come to an end.

Too bad I still don't really understand a majority of the story.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I was very disappointed. After having completed Gears 2, my roommate and I were having the foolish hope that Gears 3 would end with tragedy and having everyone die. Gears 3 was still great, but we were very disappointed with the cliche ending.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Glad to see everyone is getting familiar with Epic's story telling skills, and the fact they are rather lacking.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Of everything, you know what bothered me the most? On your way through Azura, Marcus and the gang complain about how ritzy the place is, accusing Prescott of wasting COG resources building an extravangant fallout shelter for the COG elite, rather than using it to help the people. It seems like just another attempt to cast Prescott and the COG in a bad light again, like most of the game had been doing. But then Baird brings up a good point: Prescott spent all his time with the soldiers in the COG. It was only those two years after Gears 2 that he disappeared and then turned up again. So who was behind Azura? Why did Prescott need to kidnap Adam Fenix and fake his death? Why wasn't the Queen affected by the Lambet killer? So Immuslion is a sentient fuel source, da fuck? What were the Sires, who was it who went to Mount Kadar? Did the Locust evolve underground, or were they once surface dwellers like humans? How can a shotgun kill me when I'm behind cover and not fully on the screen?!

SO MANY QUESTIONS

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
I always just assumed that the locust were another race that evolved on Sera. The queen being human looking I just attributed to the same way bee queens are different looking to the normal bees - maybe there was some human in her, or its just the way the locust race evolved a queen.

Adam knowing about them didn't surprise me, and trying to convince them not to do e-day whilst he fought the lambent was quite cool, but I am disappointed there were no better explanations or information on the sires.

I always assumed the sires were an attempt by Adam to hybridise the locust with humans, to give them humanities resistance to the imulsion to keep them alive longer, obviously not something that worked.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
What bothered me was the data Adam gave to Baird. What was on it? He claims that would explain everything, but the game ends before it's viewed/explained. Is this an attempt to sell the novels or comic books based on the series? Or did I miss something?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I know its Gears of War, but some emotion or more feeling would of been nice. After seeing his best friend commit suicide and seeing his father literally turn to ash infront of his eyes, I was hoping for Fenix to breakdown and lose it, possibly going on some mad rampage into hordes of locust............but it ends with him sitting on a beach? the hell?

Buuuuuuuuuuut, I guess this just leaves the door open for them to pull a Halo on us all:-

"Yes, yes, this is it, the end, the finale, go find something else to play"
*skip a year or two*
"Oh, theres a gears prequel coming soon"
*skip forward another year*
"Yeah, gears 4 will be out next year. What, we never said it would be the end"

But I'm not opposed to that really, another game which actually has some explanations would be nice. Hell, even a 20 minute dvd/web video would be a great place to start.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
wooty said:
I know its Gears of War, but some emotion or more feeling would of been nice. After seeing his best friend commit suicide and seeing his father literally turn to ash infront of his eyes, I was hoping for Fenix to breakdown and lose it, possibly going on some mad rampage into hordes of locust............but it ends with him sitting on a beach? the hell?

Buuuuuuuuuuut, I guess this just leaves the door open for them to pull a Halo on us all:-

"Yes, yes, this is it, the end, the finale, go find something else to play"
*skip a year or two*
"Oh, theres a gears prequel coming soon"
*skip forward another year*
"Yeah, gears 4 will be out next year. What, we never said it would be the end"

But I'm not opposed to that really, another game which actually has some explanations would be nice. Hell, even a 20 minute dvd/web video would be a great place to start.
Just wait for them to REALLY lose respect for the property.

Gears of War: Bratz Edition.
My Little Fenix: Shoulders are Magic.
Need For Gears: Underground.
Cooking Mama: Locust Party.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
That post... contained an awful lot of the word "boring". Really? You found it boring? A game that was practically packed with action, fun boss fights and great environment settings? I pray to god you aren't the type of gamer who says that, then goes back to playing CoD 24/7 and buys the sequel so he can do it all over again for another year.

Personally I was impressed by almost every aspect of the Gears 3: a large assortment of enemies with decent intelligence, great weapons, environments that finally had colour. That under water level was simply stunning. And I LOVED that fact that we actually got to fight Burmaks, Corpsers, and huge critters like the Beserker at ground level at last. Not as some kind of on the rails shooter section. I even enjoyed fighting the Queen, although you did have to repeat the same actions a few to many times.

I'll agree that the ending was pretty cliche and meh. But I wasn't playing it for a satisfying resolution to the series. Gears has always been about blood, mayhem, testorone and human survival drama. I didn't expect it to go any other way (though I would have loved the "they all die" ending another poster mentioned). Overall I was thoroughly satisfied with the game's campaign, and look forward to playing through it with some mates. Right after we can get out of the superb Horde mode. Could take awhile...

Custard_Angel said:
Gears of War: Bratz Edition.
My Little Fenix: Shoulders are Magic.
Need For Gears: Underground.
Cooking Mama: Locust Party.
Ok, I admit it. I lost my shit at the "Shoulders Are Magic".

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
The story isnt finished yet. No epic have told us that much DLC shall be released for campaign. So yea. If you wanna see it I suggest buying that expensive season pass.

I liked the beach scene. Everyone was happy to have won but at the same time you had the sadness of there being nothing left for any of the characters.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I rather enjoyed Gears 3's story moreso than the first two. It was more low key, not as big a giant blustery clutter that the second one turned into. I was rather disappointed with the superweapon that saves the planet in fifteen seconds though. Its just POOF, and everything bad dies.

For DLC, I wish it would focus on Sam and Anya's trip to Anvil Gate. How the hell did they get there so fast anyways? Especially with the headstart Marcus and Delta had.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
It was annoying that they went for another "awesome superweapon that will definately kill all the bad things" type plot. I mean after the Lightmass Bomb barely denting the Locust at the end of Gears 1 I would've drawn the line under relying solely on impractical superweapons and gone for hmm...

Mandatory Wallbouncing Training... For every human on the planet. The Locust wouldn't have stood a chance

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
The way Marcus acts in the ending, as well as what has happened to him....Most depressing ending ever.
Im half expecting any DLC to start with him learning to tie a noose..

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Project_Xii said:
That post... contained an awful lot of the word "boring". Really? You found it boring? A game that was practically packed with action, fun boss fights and great environment settings? I pray to god you aren't the type of gamer who says that, then goes back to playing CoD 24/7 and buys the sequel so he can do it all over again for another year.

Personally I was impressed by almost every aspect of the Gears 3: a large assortment of enemies with decent intelligence, great weapons, environments that finally had colour. That under water level was simply stunning. And I LOVED that fact that we actually got to fight Burmaks, Corpsers, and huge critters like the Beserker at ground level at last. Not as some kind of on the rails shooter section. I even enjoyed fighting the Queen, although you did have to repeat the same actions a few to many times.

I'll agree that the ending was pretty cliche and meh.
What i was trying to say was the game was solid well made and was gears through and through.It was alot of fun then the ending happened.

I have felt that epic makes very epic endings even if abit silly at time but here it is like turn up on the island start fighting through the waves find alex fenix.He then unleashed "weapon that ends the war and kill himself in the process" while the cog sit around shooting the stand off did not feel like the last stand i was expecting.

The final boss fight is hide,pop out,shoot in weak spot then hammer of dawn "super special weapon" seen in so many games.I felt it was rather meh and could have been done so much better .