Thoughts on the Legend of Korra two part finale (Spoiler Warning)

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Well the final episodes are up online and thus the 4 season lone series of Avatar: THe Legend of Korra is finally over.. possibly permanently as i'm guess that after Nickelodeon did everything in it's power to get the series canceled, I can't see their being another Avatar series until at the very least, the contract with Nickelodeon ends so the series could air on another network(though that probably won't happens seeing how most american cartoon networks want cheap, badly drawn, badly written, badly made series for little kids over epics shows like Avatar or Young Justice..

Anyways ,the two episodes were pretty good, and definitely help make up for the blander earlier episodes of the season. It had lot's of great action,it was well animated animated and overall a good finale.. a lot of people have been making suggestions that the final minutes of the last episode are hints that Korra and Kasami are gay.. but honestly I just don't see where their immature ideas are coming from.. so they wanted to take a vacation together and they held hands.. they're girls.. girls do that.. girl hang out together with their best friends..they hold hands they hug.. it's a pretty common thing.... anyways, while the fourth season may not have been the best season of the 4, it wasn't the worst.. though honestly i think the 4th season should never have happened... the 3rd season should have been 1 episode longer showing Korra getting well after a time gap and have the series end with Korra, embracing her role as Avatar and being prepared to take all the good things and bad thing that come with the title while the past Avatar spirits watch over her before the credits started.

That or have a central group of main villains throughout all 4 season instead of a new threat every season.. that's what the worst part was.. having a new villain every season was bad idea.. they had to cram back stories and motivation for the villains in only a few episodes, and that's why Avatar the Last Air bender worked better in a lot of ways...

In any case those are my thoughts.. what did everyone else think of both the final 2 part episodes and the 4th season as a whole?

WhiteWolfe

Mar 15, 2011
I like that they framed it in a subtle way at the ending because then the people that don't want Korrasami don't have to be forced into it. I though the actions scenes were some of the best, with the big spirit weapon cutting through buildings being particularly awesome looking.

I don't see why you think it has to be an immature idea though. For one, they both have shown they've liked guys too so they would properly be bisexual not gay. Secondly, Bryke has been dropping fairly regular hints over the course of this season that they are very close, which could just be girls being best friends but it could be more. There is a much greater focus on scenes with Korra + Asami one on one than any with her and Mako or Bolin. But lastly, are you saying its immature because it's two woman? I don't think it needs to be said, but it shouldn't be any more or less immature than seeing her end up with a man.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Well, I don't watch it. But unless the writers really didn't know what they were doing it, then it was probably intencional. I think the overall intention was to cause the discusion. And you guys fell right for it... In the end, unless they do another sequel series, it will really matter?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Honestly I'm disappointed because I feel like Bolin and Mako should have been in the final shot. I get what they were going for but the vagueness kinda of kills any joy I could have gotten from it. If they really are romantic, great, do more than just imply. If they aren't, it feels wrong to leave out the other half of Team Avatar from the Spirit World trip. Ah well, I didn't dislike it, but I'm not gushing over it either.

The rest of the finale was FUCKING INTENSE. I was hooked completely from the get-go despite how much I dislike the giant robot. They did very well with such a dumb concept. I kind of figured the Spirits would come back to help at some point, weird that they didn't. Can't fault them for defying expectations though.

All in all, I feel it ended the series on, if not its HIGHEST note, on a high note nonetheless. It was a good series and I am satisfied with it.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Kolby Jack said:
Honestly I'm disappointed because I feel like Bolin and Mako should have been in the final shot. I get what they were going for but the vagueness kinda of kills any joy I could have gotten from it. If they really are romantic, great, do more than just imply. If they aren't, it feels wrong to leave out the other half of Team Avatar from the Spirit World trip. Ah well, I didn't dislike it, but I'm not gushing over it either.

The rest of the finale was FUCKING INTENSE. I was hooked completely from the get-go despite how much I dislike the giant robot. They did very well with such a dumb concept. I kind of figured the Spirits would come back to help at some point, weird that they didn't. Can't fault them for defying expectations though.

All in all, I feel it ended the series on, if not its HIGHEST note, on a high note nonetheless. It was a good series and I am satisfied with it.
Korra and Asami are best friends, nothing more.. it's not romantic.. it's two females best friends catching up after being at odds over both liking Bolin and then not talking to each other for a long time while Korra was not herself and fighting in underground bending matches.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
crazygameguy4ever said:
Kolby Jack said:

Korra and Asami are best friends, nothing more.. it's not romantic.. it's two females best friends catching up after being at odds over both liking Bolin and then not talking to each other for a long time while Korra was not herself and fighting in underground bending matches.
You're definitely in the minority here. Look at the way they showed the last scene. Just Korra and Asami on their own, holding hands, going away for a while, looking into each other's eyes and holding each other in exactly the same way that Varrick and Zhu Li did literally moments before, as well as Kuvira and Bataar Jr, and Zaheer and P'Li before them. I find it hard to see anything other than romance there. I recognise that they have yet to confirm it either way, but you don't have to make the hints as clear as day sometimes. I think what they were trying to show was pretty much obvious. Korra and Asami being in a relationship, or at least them seeing that they could be, is definitely a possibility here.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I didn't like Season 4. It didn't feel like it really needed to exist if it wasn't for Season 3's ending. The villain was just comically evil for no justifiable reason yet wasn't as big or unique of a threat like Zaheer and his gang, nor as grand as the spiritual balance of the world, and was just completely overshadowed by the implication in the ending.

At some point I felt like Korra just started going "Hey, look how progressive and edgy we are for a kid's cartoon," and focused on how much they could sneak past the radar.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Kolby Jack said:
If they really are romantic, great, do more than just imply. If they aren't, it feels wrong to leave out the other half of Team Avatar from the Spirit World trip. Ah well, I didn't dislike it, but I'm not gushing over it either.
They can't really do more than just imply. For one, the self-proclaimed moral guardians would freak. Also, there are parts of the world in which having two women openly kiss could get Nickelodeon entirely pulled off the air.

All they could pretty much get away with was the bit at the end (plus Kataang parallels scattered throughout Books 3 and 4).

Laggyteabag said:
You're definitely in the minority here. Look at the way they showed the last scene. Just Korra and Asami on their own, holding hands, going away for a while, looking into each other's eyes and holding each other in exactly the same way that Varrick and Zhu Li did literally moments before, as well as Kuvira and Bataar Jr, and Zaheer and P'Li before them. I find it hard to see anything other than romance there. I recognise that they have yet to confirm it either way, but you don't have to make the hints as clear as day sometimes. I think what they were trying to show was pretty much obvious. Korra and Asami being in a relationship, or at least them seeing that they could be, is definitely a possibility here.
Also? The sky looks like two big bi-pride flags framing the spirit portal, and a few strains of "The Avatar's Love" play as the camera pans away.

Jul 9, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
They can't really do more than just imply. For one, the self-proclaimed moral guardians would freak. Also, there are parts of the world in which having two women openly kiss could get Nickelodeon entirely pulled off the air.
They certainly CAN do more than just imply, but I get your meaning. That said, what they DID do certainly came across as exactly what they NEEDED to do to facilitate the ending they had. I certainly would not have had it any other way.

People make all these disparaging comparisons to fanfiction, but really, the best of fanfiction is character analysis taken to the extreme. People looked at how Korra and Asami related, and they saw that there was something special there, and so they tried to expose it. Speculation on their part, really. It's really no different from what creators do, except for free. So I can't help but feel like the creators of this show were doing much the same thing as the fans. The story they had was still malleable enough that they could do some of this speculation. And so they did. And they clearly liked what they found out, and so they ran with it, and we got the ending that we got.

"Who should hold Korra's wheelchair at season's end? Any of Team Avatar would work, really. Mako still cares about her. Consequence: Hint of more Makorra? We'd have to be careful of that one. Bolin would definitely want to help her. Consequence: A divide between the brothers? Hm, also interesting. And Asami's probably her best friend in all this. Consequence: Hm... interesting. Korrasami hinting? No, no, no... or maybe. Let's set that aside for now, but definitely keep an eye on it. Could we have Korra be alone, refuse help? That's certainly an option. Reinforce her loneliness and sink into depression. Let's roll a D4 and find out. ... Well, 3. Asami it is."

Then season 4 rolls by and

A - "Hey guys, remember that Korrasami hinting that we decided to set aside but definitely keep an eye on it? What do you think about having Korra talk to ONLY Asami during her three-year absence?"

B - "What? Why?"

A - "Well, I've been thinking, and it kinda seems like Korra's been most at ease around Asami, right?"

B - "Right..."

A - "And we decided to have Asami wheel Korra around at the end of last season. What does that say about the two of them?"

B - "That they're best friends, maybe?"

A - "Well, yeah, but what I'm trying to get at is that Korra trusts Asami more than she trusts the others."

B - "I dunno if that's fair. I mean, she still trusts--"

A - "I know, I know, but think about it. She's at her most vulnerable, physically, mentally, and spiritually. It'd be embarrassing to have to show that side of you to someone."

B - "Okay... I think I see where you're going with this, but continue."

A - "So her showing that side of her to Asami means..."

B - "...that she trusts her more than the others. Okay, I get it. But what does this have to do with her writing letters only to--oh. Oh, okay."

A - "Right?"

B - "Okay, yeah. Yeah. Huh, that does make a certain amount of sense. She trusts Asami with her vulnerabilities more than she does the others, so Asami is the only one she would write to about her vulnerable state and recovery."

A - "Exactly."

B - "Hm... That does sound interesting. Let's throw it around with the rest of the guys." "Alright, so we're absolutely doing this?"

C, D, - "Yep."

So then bam, letters only to Asami. Keeping it light, keeping it low-key. No drama, no fuss no muss. Story goes on, on and on, a few episodes later...

A - "Hey, so I've been thinking..."

B - "Yeah?"

A - "Korra and Asami have been writing each other back and forth for three years now. What do you suppose that did to 'em?"

B - "How do you mean?"

A - "Well, I'll put it bluntly: Do you think it's possible that their feelings for each other will have changed?"

B - "You mean from just good friends to really good friends? Sisterly, even? Or..."

A - "Or..."

B - "Hm. Last time we did that, we kind of failed and the fandom got on our ass about it. Plus I don't think I have to mention the flak you'll get."

A - "Yeah, but let's not worry about that just yet. Suppose they're just good friends. Does that sound all that interesting to you?"

B - "You're saying our story as is isn't worth telling?"

A - "No, no, no, it's not that. I'm just... I'd like them to end up as something more than friends."

B - "...you've been really pushing these two hard since last season, haven't you?"

A - "Tell me you wouldn't want the same for them. Come on. Happy ending, the hero gets the girl, and we get to thumb our nose at corporate while we're at it? C'mon. I know you've been itching to get back at them for dicking us around."

B - "I DO like the sound of getting back at corporate..."

A - "So...?"

B - "Okay, let's roll. I'm on board. What do you wanna do?"

A - "Okay. Well, we can't let it be too obvious, that's a given, right?"

B - "Right. ...but wait, won't some people just think they're being really good friends, sisters even, and that the ending'll be totally out of left field?"

A - "Tut tut tut. I don't care. I want to get from this point <points to imaginary whiteboard with stick figure Korra and stick figure Asami, holding hands and sun between them> to this point <whiteboard next to that with same picture, but a heart instead of sun>."

B - "Okay, okay. Where to start...? Well, how about..."

---

Question: I'm fairly certain there's a part somewhere in the series where Korra stammers over the word girlfriend, too, for whatever reason. For the life of me, though, I can't find it. (Not the "I've never had a girlfriend to talk to" part when she's driving with Asami. At that point - early season 3 - I figured the "g-word" was just a bit of trolling on the creators' part.) Am I wrong? Anyone know which episode this is if I'm not?

Farseer Lolotea said:
Also? The sky looks like two big bi-pride flags framing the spirit portal,
This I felt was coincidental at best, but then I've never paid much attention to color choice. Looks just like an matte painting evening sky to me.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Kolby Jack said:
If they really are romantic, great, do more than just imply. If they aren't, it feels wrong to leave out the other half of Team Avatar from the Spirit World trip. Ah well, I didn't dislike it, but I'm not gushing over it either.

All they could pretty much get away with was the bit at the end (plus Kataang parallels scattered throughout Books 3 and 4).
Doesn't stop them from coming out and saying it on their own. I made this point in the one of the other threads on this, Frodo and Sam did WAY gayer stuff than Asami and Korra ever did and yet they aren't gay. I have a sister, I've seen how she interacts with her friends. I'm not saying they AREN'T involved, but I'm not saying they are either until one of the creators actually confirms it. Implications are just that: implications. They aren't proof.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Haven't you made multiple threads of this same topic already? Listen, if you don't want to be believe that Korrasami is in the show, that's fine. It was made ambiguous for multiple reasons. However lots of people, including some of the higher ups in Team Avatar, like the idea of the two getting together so I don't think you can get anymore obvious about that. There's a lot of subtext in the show on how Korra and Asami have had the least amount of drama between them and that they've always been for each other. This is probably one of those examples of fanon that actually makes sense and the finale nudges it with a smirk. It's pretty much official in all but name.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Kolby Jack said:

Its not worth it. This guy is on a one man mission in the forums to somehow prove that Korra and Asami are not romantically involved. He made a similar thread the other day which seems to have been lost in the shuffle.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
gandhi the peacemake said:
Farseer Lolotea said:
They certainly CAN do more than just imply, but I get your meaning. That said, what they DID do certainly came across as exactly what they NEEDED to do to facilitate the ending they had. I certainly would not have had it any other way.
Oh they probably could have had them start to obviously lean in for a kiss before the camera panned away...but on a "kids' show," openly pairing up two women is highly risky. Look at how long it took before the Adventure Time crew came clean about Bubbline.

People make all these disparaging comparisons to fanfiction, but really, the best of fanfiction is character analysis taken to the extreme. People looked at how Korra and Asami related, and they saw that there was something special there, and so they tried to expose it. Speculation on their part, really. It's really no different from what creators do, except for free. So I can't help but feel like the creators of this show were doing much the same thing as the fans. The story they had was still malleable enough that they could do some of this speculation. And so they did. And they clearly liked what they found out, and so they ran with it, and we got the ending that we got.
Fair enough.

Quite frankly, however, I wonder how many people making "disparaging comparisons to fanfiction" are the same people who mocked and flamed anyone who said the same thing about Makorra in Book 1. And if so, I wonder how lost the irony is on them. (Yes, the plot of Book 4 was kind of all over the place. However, Korrasami??which developed quietly in the background, as a romantic subplot should??can't reasonably be blamed for it. Makorra, by contrast, often overwhelmed the main plot in Book 1; as such, it can hardly even be called a "subplot.")

This I felt was coincidental at best, but then I've never paid much attention to color choice. Looks just like an matte painting evening sky to me.
There are very, very few coincidences in animation.

Kolby Jack said:
Farseer Lolotea said:
Kolby Jack said:

Doesn't stop them from coming out and saying it on their own. I made this point in the one of the other threads on this, Frodo and Sam did WAY gayer stuff than Asami and Korra ever did and yet they aren't gay. I have a sister, I've seen how she interacts with her friends. I'm not saying they AREN'T involved, but I'm not saying they are either until one of the creators actually confirms it. Implications are just that: implications. They aren't proof.
They've tacitly confirmed it. That is, DiMartino openly shared and promoted a "Korrasami is canon" article. And, apparently, the romantic implications were deliberately dialed up after the fact between storyboarding and actual animation. (Which caused a few bitter Steam Crew to accuse them of doing so to pander to the fans.)

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Kolby Jack said:
Farseer Lolotea said:
Kolby Jack said:

They've tacitly confirmed it. That is, DiMartino openly shared and promoted a "Korrasami is canon" article. And, apparently, the romantic implications were deliberately dialed up after the fact between storyboarding and actual animation. (Which caused a few bitter Steam Crew to accuse them of doing so to pander to the fans.)
I've read that article. Only the last paragraph talks about the possible romance and it only talks about the implications. It's a lot of "if they really ARE saying this..." and it praises them for even going that far. It's hardly what I'd call a confirmation. And you're right, the ending is deliberately ambiguous to keep people talking about it after the fact, much like Zuko's mom. So it's likely they'll never out-and-out confirm it, because the question is what's important to them, not the answer.

Jul 9, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Oh they probably could have had them start to obviously lean in for a kiss before the camera panned away...but on a "kids' show," openly pairing up two women is highly risky. Look at how long it took before the Adventure Time crew came clean about Bubbline.
Did they? (Just got clued in on that pairing on that show... and that show in general.) From what I've read, there was a behind-the-scenes thing where they admitted to it, and then that video quickly got taken down. Then one of the VAs talked about it, and then redacted her statement.

Has there been anything since?

(On another note, "I'm Just Your Problem" made my little Implico-meter very happy.)

Quite frankly, however, I wonder how many people making "disparaging comparisons to fanfiction" are the same people who mocked and flamed anyone who said the same thing about Makorra in Book 1. And if so, I wonder how lost the irony is on them.
I really wouldn't know much about that. I wasn't big on Makorra to begin with, and Book 1 left a sour taste in my mouth that stuck with me until I finally lowered my standards to the point where the ONLY thing keeping me invested was finding out who if anyone would manage to snag Asami. (Because c'mon, she's the real catch in all this.)

Yes, but I guess what I meant was that I figured they decided to paint it an evening color because it was evening. Motives that go beyond that generally fly right by me, unless it's a very obvious thing. I mean heck, even the very obvious color choices made in something like Pacific Rim flew over my head the first go-around (and the second, and the third, and actually I didn't notice until I watched it with the director's commentary track) because I haven't trained myself to pay attention to them.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
gandhi the peacemake said:
Farseer Lolotea said:
Did they? (Just got clued in on that pairing on that show... and that show in general.) From what I've read, there was a behind-the-scenes thing where they admitted to it, and then that video quickly got taken down. Then one of the VAs talked about it, and then redacted her statement.

Has there been anything since?

(On another note, "I'm Just Your Problem" made my little Implico-meter very happy.)

Quite frankly, however, I wonder how many people making "disparaging comparisons to fanfiction" are the same people who mocked and flamed anyone who said the same thing about Makorra in Book 1. And if so, I wonder how lost the irony is on them.
I really wouldn't know much about that. I wasn't big on Makorra to begin with, and Book 1 left a sour taste in my mouth that stuck with me until I finally lowered my standards to the point where the ONLY thing keeping me invested was finding out who if anyone would manage to snag Asami. (Because c'mon, she's the real catch in all this.)

Yes, but I guess what I meant was that I figured they decided to paint it an evening color because it was evening. Motives that go beyond that generally fly right by me, unless it's a very obvious thing. I mean heck, even the very obvious color choices made in something like Pacific Rim flew over my head the first go-around (and the second, and the third, and actually I didn't notice until I watched it with the director's commentary track) because I haven't trained myself to pay attention to them.
They've dodged around it a few times, but I could have sworn they out-and-out came clean with it eventually.

And Korra and Asami canonically being girlfriends has just been unambiguously confirmed by both Konietzko [http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/] and DiMartino [http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/] (along with both women being bi, Makorra being sunk for good since Book 2, and fan demand having nothing to do with it).

Jul 9, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
And Korra and Asami canonically being girlfriends has just been unambiguously confirmed by both Konietzko [http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/] and DiMartino [http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/] (along with both women being bi).
It's not gonna stop people from debating. (And indeed hasn't.) Which is all the more fun for me, at least until I get bored. That said, good on them for adding their voices to the debate (and especially for being on my side of it whoo-hoo!).

AtenSet

Mar 14, 2014
http://erraticallyinformed.tumblr.com/post/105943509837

The problem with korrasami isn't that it's gay, it's that it wasn't earned or written well.

Texting right now so have a link.