Thousands of Hearthstone Players Banned For Using Bots

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zato-1 said:
What if someone plays the game, but leaves a bot running while they're at work? That way, they have extra cards to play with in the limited time they have for playing the actual game. You're assuming people were botting _instead_ of playing, when the only point of botting was to have more cards for when you do play (or to sell accounts with a bunch of cards unlocked to other people).
Well, if you're pursuing that line of logic (and it's not a bad one, don't get me wrong), you will inevitably have to ask a simple, if ugly question: "Why do people buy accounts?"
Or more accurately, "Why do fake cards in a 'free' game carry real world value?"

The answer is simple: Because the cards take a lot of time to acquire normally.
If nobody cared about the grind, nobody would buy accounts. Simple as that.

Botting is a symptom of another problem, not a cause.
Banning accounts en-masse? It's a treatment of that symptom, not the source.

And that treatment is necessary, since Blizzard built the the grind into their game so they could make money.
Whether or not you agree with this model or its caveats is a personal question, but the fact is that the time commitment drives botting, regardless of who is doing it (or for whom).

(there's a whole other discussion about what F2P actually does and what it requires of game design; or at least, I think it's interesting)

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Well, if you're pursuing that line of logic (and it's not a bad one, don't get me wrong), you will inevitably have to ask a simple, if ugly question: "Why do people buy accounts?"
Or more accurately, "Why do fake cards in a 'free' game carry real world value?"

And that treatment is necessary, since Blizzard built the the grind into their game so they could make money.
Whether or not you agree with this model or its caveats is a personal question, but the fact is that the time commitment drives botting, regardless of who is doing it (or for whom).

(there's a whole other discussion about what F2P actually does and what it requires of game design; or at least, I think it's interesting)
You're saying that the business model behind Hearthstone, where it takes a very long time to acquire cards that can be bypassed with money, is the driving force behind botting. I don't think there's any arguing with that.

However, I do contest your diagnostic of what, exactly is the problem. The business model drives botting- but which here is the problem? The business model, botting itself, or both? I'm inclined to say botting is the problem- or at least the bigger problem. Over on the Hearthstone-specific community site I linked (on which I comment far more often than I do here on The Escapist), the community was fairly livid about bots in general. Here's a few choice quotes from people's reaction to the bot banning announcement:

Nekovivie said:
I honestly think this is ridiculous. 3 months is absolutely nothing for people who have been openly cheating and botting for months, and all the spoils they have earned on these accounts, gold heroes, gold cards, gold itself, will still be on the accounts for use.

Should have had these accounts closed indefinitely imo :/ They do mention that future bans will be permanent but it's not enough. So many botters out there getting off lightly.
Nothingtosay said:
3 Months is incredibly light. If they don't somehow take away gold/cards/dust earned from botting then this is a slap on the wrists.
PushDown said:
Exaclty, a 3 months freeze for a secondary account is irrelevant. If anything, there will me more bots now that ppl know how much of a "punishment" Blizzard is giving to cheaters.
Liquid`Jinro said:
Should be a permanent ban, maybe loss of other games attached to account.
Source:
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/470080-botting-banwave-10-27

Now, not everyone was carrying torches and pitchforks there. But botting itself was still perceived as a fairly serious offense by an overwhelming majority. I agree with you that botting never would have been a problem in the first place if Hearthstone had a business model like that of, say, Magic 2015. But if the biggest problem arising from Hearthstone's business model is this botting issue, which is a discrete problem that can be solved at no great cost (indeed, as of now it seems to be mostly solved already), then does it make sense to try and change the whole business model, which has otherwise been (very) successful for Hearthstone thus far?

Right now, I'm of the opinion that Hearthstone's business model is not a problem in and of itself. It has pros and it most certainly has cons as well, but the playerbase seems fairly happy with it overall and it's working great for Blizzard as well.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Zato-1 said:
What if someone plays the game, but leaves a bot running while they're at work? That way, they have extra cards to play with in the limited time they have for playing the actual game. You're assuming people were botting _instead_ of playing, when the only point of botting was to have more cards for when you do play (or to sell accounts with a bunch of cards unlocked to other people).

Well considering its a free game that doesn't lock you out or restrict your access to any cards or card types or classes, a game people paid nothing to download and execute except whatever it cost them to have internet that month (which doesn't go to Blizzard), charging for packs and arena tickets isn't a big deal. Hell one can play the game as much or as little as one wants and never spend a dime on it and still eventually get everything the person who spend 100's of dollars on the game did. Its not pay to win and thats a world of difference.
Botting is a symptom of people who get something for free and feel they should get more without having to invest anything whether be it time or money.
Since everyone's time can't be quantified in a dollar amount (can you really put a price on your free time? I won't because I love my free time and don't feel anyone can buy it from me) you can't compare the dollar price of card packs or arena tickets to how much time one "wastes" on getting cards.
The other side I feel is that Blizz went out and designed and released a game for free, and gave people the option to pay Blizzard for it and receive something more for their investment.
But at no time is anyone required to pay anything.
*shrug* Its not the worst F2P game I've seen and it doesn't feel like you're being taken for a ride. I feel Blizz deserves something for their efforts, but them saying "you don't ever have to pay us" is a nice thing.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
malnin said:
GarouxBloodline said:
I agree that Hunters were pretty OP with the original buzzard. But there is a problem, in that they nerfed the buzzard too much... Hunters have a lot of ways to thin out your own deck, yet we have essentially nothing to cultivate hand size throughout the game now. 5 mana with low health means it will only be played in the late game (at least 8 mana available), and if you are not set up to run a buzzard/hounds combo, then there will be little payout unless the other player has really backed themselves into a corner with no board-control/removal. Which is almost never that late into the game.

Every other class has low mana card draws, that do not require much of anything to pull off (that includes Warriors, as they have way too many cards to feed into Battle Rage), so the nerf was pretty devastating to us Hunters, as we struggle against players with full hands.

*Warrior - Battle Rage (2 mana)
*Priest - Thoughtsteal (3 mana)
*Paladin - Divine Favour (3 mana)
*Warlock - Hero power (2 mana)
*Mage - Arcane Intellect (3 mana)
*Rogue - Not even going to list theirs off, as there are way too many, for as low as 1 mana costs, with their big one being 7 mana.
You know hunters have flare right? A one mana drop that draws and removes all enemy secrets(not even friendly secrets) and stealth, and with the heath boost to buzzard it's hard to kill with cheap spells making snake trap much much better, it wasn't really nerfed that much just can't be used with way over powered combo's so cheaply anymore.

Edit: I forgot to mention they also have tracking, 1 mana drop, pick one the top three cards in your deck, can hurt but usually doesn't.
That card (flare) is not meant for hand stability, nor does it provide hand stability. Its only purpose, against decks that do not have secrets in them, is to thin out your deck so that you get the cards you need faster. The problem is, hand stability < thinning out your deck. The only reason I mentioned Rogue cards that are similar, is because cards like shiv are specifically meant to act as removal, feed into combos, while still allowing the Rogue to maintain hand size on a consistent basis throughout the entire match.

And tracking is most certainly not a hand stability card. It is essentially a 1 mana, remove 2 cards from your deck permanently cost, which is exceptionally steep of a cost, to literally just replace a card in your hand instead of actually drawing additional cards. The fact that you even brought up those two cards, leads me to believe that you are not really understanding what I am saying.

P.S. - the +1 health boost is near meaningless. The only nice benefit I have seen, is that mortal coil no longer works properly on buzzards. But aside from mortal coil, a huge portion of low cost removal can easily deal with buzzard, and I can truthfully say that my buzzards are typically dealt with within one turn, in nearly 95% of my matches.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zato-1 said:
However, I do contest your diagnostic of what, exactly is the problem. The business model drives botting- but which here is the problem? The business model, botting itself, or both? I'm inclined to say botting is the problem- or at least the bigger problem.
Like I said, that's a personal question, and one I've wrestled with in recent years.

Grind-based-value metrics (like the cards, or any player-based item economy) work because they prey upon human nature.
The research on Skinner Psychology is well known and documented now, and HEAVILY implemented into service-centric gaming.
(virtually every single MMO and F2P game uses it by necessity)

I guess the short and dirty description I can offer is that "Grind is bad for gameplay pacing, but great for business."

Now, some people will claim they "enjoy" grind, but I find that a weak argument because that same claim can be applied to virtually anything. In movies, it'd be like saying one enjoys watching test patterns.
Sure, it's technically possible, but for purely irrational reasons.

But if the biggest problem arising from Hearthstone's business model is this botting issue, which is a discrete problem that can be solved at no great cost (indeed, as of now it seems to be mostly solved already), then does it make sense to try and change the whole business model, which has otherwise been (very) successful for Hearthstone thus far?
Of course, Hearthstone doesn't need me or you to defend it; its success speaks for itself.
But an appeal to popularity won't keep me from questioning why players tolerate concessions like grind in game design or why they're made...beyond the how it's a fiscally-sound business model (for now; standards may change, and that is my intent)

My criticism is that there are double-standards employed here:

-Blizzard selling boosts to bypass grind? A-OK.
Yes, it's their game and their rules.
But that kinda ignores the problem from the PLAYER'S perspective. (Word of God fallacy)

-Botters automating the process to bypass grind? Serious offense, by your own evidence.

Yet both methods have the same end goal because they're both responses to the same problem; hence, why it's a double standard. The only real difference in consequence is the end beneficiary: either it's the player, a middleman player, or Blizzard.

And the sad thing is: Most people will never realize this, or if they do, they will rationalize it away.
Once the botting symptom has been treated (temporarily) their "work" is given some perceived value again.

At a strictly pragmatic, business level, bots are just a symptom Blizzard will have to treat, just as part of the price of doing business.

And if you like the F2P model, or any other grind-based model; good for you.
But I don't, and it's not for a lack of trying. However, I also think that trying to understand WHY is a worthwhile process, for the sake of thinking; even if I never really convince anyone to the contrary.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Well considering its a free game that doesn't lock you out or restrict your access to any cards or card types or classes, a game people paid nothing to download and execute except whatever it cost them to have internet that month (which doesn't go to Blizzard), charging for packs and arena tickets isn't a big deal.
"Free-to-play" is free in name only; you will pay in other ways so long as you play even if it's not with dollars and cents.
More on that later.

Since everyone's time can't be quantified in a dollar amount ... you can't compare the dollar price of card packs or arena tickets to how much time one "wastes" on getting cards.
Actually, you -can-. It's just really obnoxious to data-mine.
But in essence: it takes averaging the amount of time necessary to acquire [X-Threshold] of cards (or whatever your metric is), and then statistically determining the payout rates per pack of cards. (the irony here, is that the botters would provide a good baseline for time efficiency vs game complexity)

In the end, you should have a ratio of two rates: One for the Money Payout rate, and the other for the Time Payout.
That information, on its own, will give the player a reasonable means of comparing what Blizzard is really charging for their inconvenience mechanic (in this case).
You can then divide one by the other and compare to the average amount of time you spend playing.

But if you wanted to take that a step further, you could compare your rates to the going rate for selling accounts (difficult, but not impossible; an illicit market is still a market) and you would have a rough, but applicable estimation of what that time is worth.

I've actually seen this done with some MMOs; hell, I saw this done with Diablo 2 YEARS ago and a black market that used in-forum currency for trades; it conformed to economic trends to a shocking degree, for an illicit market.

Of course, I wasn't making that direct comparison in the first place; remember Opportunity Costs and Monetary Costs?
You actually touch upon those twice in your reply, even if you didn't realize it.
In non-economic terms: You either pay with your time doing busywork, or you pay with your money to bypass it.

Now, you can argue all day what you think is a reasonable amount to pay for EITHER, but know that Opportunity Costs have more direct implications for game design than Monetary Costs, and that's why I question those models that rely heavily on wasting the players' time.

Simply put, the necessity for grind devalues the experience for the player if it's making them want to do other things.
Hence, my original post in this thread.

All botting does, in this case, is automate the process to lower the Opportunity Cost...And in doing so, bypasses the Monetary Cost (which irks Blizzard for obvious reasons).

If what I'm saying sounds weird, it's really just basic economics and a bit of Game Theory; namely, the behavioral elements. (the original game theory...not that show with the really annoying host the Escapist partnered with)

There's a LOT of behavioral elements in the video game world from the business-side all the way down to game mechanic design; primarily because Video Gaming, more than any other creative medium, is driven by behavioral conditioning thanks to its requirement of audience interaction.

Games don't play themselves, and designers have to shape the players' behavior in some way in order for them to have an experience. It's for that very reason I take jabs at grind, because I think the medium can do better, but that's just my personal philosophy, and not hard fact.

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
@Atmos Duality (not going to quote that huge post :p)

I can see what you're saying, but having played both Hearthstone and WoW, the "grind" in each game feels very different to me.

There's several ways in which Hearthstone's "grind" feels less awful than that of MMOs to me:

*As a card game, Hearthstone has a lot of depth, to the point that even people who make a living out of streaming and competing in Hearthstone tournaments (Hearthstone "pros") make mistakes in a game more often than not. Improving your deck-building skills and your in-game decision making are two of the three avenues for growth in the game, with the last one being getting more cards. As such, "grinding" Hearthstone games will make you improve in ways that botting never will.

*Hearthstone is fairly fun to play. I've been there and done that, but doing Daily Quests or just farming mobs in WoW is NOT fun (though I did enjoy raiding). You do WoW Daily Quests for money, for advancement; you're compelled to do them so your bars can fill up, so you get a sense for virtual progression. The equivalent for WoW's Daily Quests in Hearthstone are... quests, which you get one of every day and they reward you with gold upon completion (Blizzard's not big on originality, I know). But Hearthstone's take less time to do, involve more entertaining gameplay, and encourage you to try different classes and playstyles, which is a good thing all in all. The limit here is one of pacing- you need to wait for the next day until you get a new quest.

*Besides quests, there is an actual grind where you gain a small amount of gold for every 3 PvP games you win, up to a limit for 30 wins in a day. Assuming a 50% winrate, that's 60 games in a day; that's a ton of games, and most definitely qualifies as a grind (this is what Botting in Hearthstone is all about, by the way). I'm not too sure why these rewards are even here, to be honest, because it really doesn't promote fun gameplay.

So yeah, without the grind I talked about in the last point, botting would never have been a thing in Hearthstone, I'm fairly certain- and this is a kind of grinding which human beings, overwhelmingly, do not engage in. If you're playing that many Hearthstone games, it's because you want to reach Legend rank or something, not for the highly time-inefficient gold payout.