THQ Denies Cancelling 2014 Game Lineup

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
THQ Denies Cancelling 2014 Game Lineup

After a series of tweets claiming the opposite, THQ has claimed there's nothing getting canned. Except for Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online. Maybe.

Recently, thousands of virtual eyebrows were raised by an "announcement" from veteran industry analyst Kevin Dent, claiming that THQ had "cancelled all of its 2014 [game lineup]" and that the company is "offering itself to Asian firms to increase value." Dent had even mentioned that the publisher had cancelled its upcoming MMO, Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online. THQ has responded to the fervor with an official statement, claiming Dent's suppositions false ... mostly.

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO," said a THQ PR spokesperson from the company's Australian office.

THQ did announce, however, that it was moving its focus from the "kids' boxed games sector" after poor sales performance by its most recent iteration of the uDraw. "Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business," the spokesperson continued. "We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry."

To be fair to Dent, he did go on to tweet later that his comments were not official, and that no one should worry until THQ spoke up. And speak up, they did, shelving most people's concerns but one: the cancellation of Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online. Considering the fact that the company's official stance seems to be "undecided," there's clearly some room for doubt that the MMO will ever see release.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/16/thq-denies-rumors-about-cancellation-of-its-2014-lineup/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That is a relief. Like I said in the other thread, if Relic was eaten up by Activision or EA following a collapse of THQ, I would die inside.

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
...I think a bit of my soul died when I saw the words "Dark Millennium" and "canned". Glad to see it may or may not see release.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
"At Relic we are working on DMO. We haven't been told anything about this." - Noun (on the Space Marine forum)

Not really much but it soothed my fears a little. Since if DMO were cancelled they would have been told about this weeks ago. Also the fact that THQ say they have "not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO" could just as well be them flat out denying its cancellation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure I care either way, since after Saints Row the Third, I'm unlikely to buy their games again.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I love me some Warhammer 40k, but will not shed a tear if the MMO doesn't get made. I hate mmos. I'd like to see the space marine concept get some polish and taken in new directions (specifically into a substantially more open-ended adventure game concept)

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
personally I would love to see the MMO come to light. But I could also take my leave of another mmo. 8 years of WoW has pretty much sated my appetite for the genre but I'd still be willing to play the game just for some immersive WH40k content.

Relic is a good game studio though I rather wish to see them do more of the Blood Raven stories and expansions in the RTS games :) (would hate to see EA or Activison ruin this studio or its games)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
So THQ isn't potentially going under and dying out?

Umm.... yay! That's good. :D

As for the MMO, I don't really care since WoW burned me out of that kind of gameplay. Though, who knows? This 40k thing might be fun. Hopefully we will get a chance to see the finished product one day. :eek:

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Aside from Warhammer spacemarine and Homefront, THQ is probably my favourite publisher,(Steam technically doesn't count). I always seem to love the majority of games they publish, they will be missed and the new Metro 2033 will better kick ass like the last one!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The way I'm reading that official statement regarding DMO (as far as semantics are concerned), development is still right on track. So yeah, I'm not worried, and still very much looking forward to future THQ publications.

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
thiosk said:
I love me some Warhammer 40k, but will not shed a tear if the MMO doesn't get made. I hate mmos. I'd like to see the space marine concept get some polish and taken in new directions (specifically into a substantially more open-ended adventure game concept)
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch.

THQ could have my cash all day any day.