THQ: Homefront Is Not a 71

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I'm sure they would have expressed an identical sentiment if Homefront had gotten the "11/10" and "UNPARRELELLED SUPR RELISM" that I expected from the reviewers.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Not only can you apply math to art, you can know just exactly how much a piece of art is worth, because that's the entire point. Playing the art card won't save THQ.

Homefront is just an average shooter and an unoriginal MW wannabee at that.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Single player campaign was WAY too short. If they want to double or more it's length then they'll have earned a better score.

le picklez

Jun 16, 2010
Dr. McD said:
le picklez said:
Rebelcommander6 said:
I'm all for video games as an art form but if Homefront is considered art, then Burger King is gourmet food. I went into the game buying all of the marketing for it to that point and what I saw was a plot so generic that it was boring, villains so cardboard thin they were unrealistic, and the patriotic bravado was so force fed that it actually insulted me (I love my country but still) I was looking forward to something that would show what it was like to fight a guerrilla war against an occupying force, making all of my decisions count, not some linear, predictable and boring mess that only took 5 hours to beat.
THEYRE PUTTING MY PEOPLE IN A HOLE????? LET ME ENDANGER THE ENTIRE MISSION UP TO THIS POINT BECAUSE THE IDEA OF NON-CEREMONIAL BURIAL FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE PEOPLE ENRAGES ME! "Sir, we're killing our own with this phosphorous" "IT'S WAR LOL". Sigh. Most annoying story ever made.
Don't forget this...

Kid: Sir, I'm hungry.

Connor: Piss off.
The sad part is I didn't even play through the whole game to find this blatant contradiction. They just didn't feel like keeping a consistent character throughout the game. This isn't art by art's standards.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
I haven't played Homefront but I have seen bits of it and it just looks like a melodramatic power fantasy capitalising on Obama Era paranoia. Hardly the sort of stuff I'd classify as art. Seeing two people getting shot in front of their child is shocking and disturbing but I get the feeling it was done mainly as a CCC (Controversy Creates Cash) ploy and its hard to hold it up as art under those circumstances. But again I haven't played it myself so I'm not really the guy to ask.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
To be honest if it had Call of Duty; Homefront" as a title it would have got somewhere in the 80-85 range so i can see why he might me slightly annoyed but the game wasn't that great. It was basically an attempt by THQ to capture some of CoD's market, an emulation of mediocrity was what it's mission statement basically was. You aim at Cod, you get judged as CoD, and recent CoD is a 71 at best.
Case and point SOCOM. Although not released reviewers are already giving it an average of 70 +/-. Veterans are apparently disillusioned by this version seeing it as a wanna be third person COD and while I've never played a SOCOM game but it does bear several similarities to COD games when I was hoping it'd play more like Uncharted given that its third person and has a cover system.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Opinions are funny like that.

If Modern Warfare and it's spawns hadn't been released people would have received Homefront a bit better but it's just barely anything we haven't already seen.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I think THQ has an ego that is resisting being kicked down a couple of notches.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Zhukov said:
Yup. He's right. It most definitely isn't a 71.

It was a miserable fucking 40.

A shameless CoD-clone without one jot of interest or originality. Just one more drip of grey water in the great river of dreary mediocrity. Not worthy of note even by the abysmally low standards of video games.

Bleh, I say. Bleh

Factual Man is full of facts.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
71 is a great score for meta-critic. I normally don't seriously consider something under a 70 without a demo or personal recommendation, but a 71 is enough for me to strongly consider picking it up.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
No, Homefront is not a 71, it's one of the worst games I've ever played and It's more a 31, and No, Homefront is not art.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
You're absolutely right THQ.
Homefront isn't a 71; it's worse than that.

Why? Because critics have been handing out 7s to average games for a long, long time now.
Of course, this is somewhat arbitrary; it's difficult, even futile to quantify subjective matter (and part of why I hold incredibly buggy games much lower regard than most).

But hey, if you want to talk numbers, try this: It's a 4 hour long game.
Four. Fucking. Hours.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
yeah, you can't apply math to art, but was homefront art then?

adn this is what i really hate about reviews these days. when the game is meh, its get a 7. when i was school and got a 7 (didn't work with letters) i was f-ing happy, or technaly: had 70% of the test good. that is great. but when a game gets 7 its ok. what the hell?