THQ In Hot Water Over Homefront Marketing

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Mutilator7 said:
JDKJ said:
Mutilator7 said:
I honestly don't see the problem, the balloons are biodegradable.
It's the same problem as if I pulled up in front of your house with a dump truck and deposited two tons of fermented horse shit on your front lawn. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you? After all, the horse shit's biodegradable. Give it 20 or 30 years and it'll be absorbed by your lawn, leaving it lush and green. And I'm sure that by the second or third month you'll get accustomed to the smell of fermented horse shit.
2 tons of horse crap is not equivalent to a hundred or so Balloons. And they are not dropping the balloons on someone's doorstep. Your analogy is way out of context. The only reason it's wrong is because of the state law, if that didn't exist it would just be some angry treehuggers who care about a couple balloons.
It wasn't a hundred or so balloons, there are TEN THOUSAND!

And they released it on one of the windiest coastal cities that is 3/4 surrounded by water.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
This coming from the city that's about to dump millions of gallons of bleach into their sewers that will go straight into the bay? Yeah...soy based balloons are sure your big problem, idiots!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
BabyRaptor said:
This coming from the city that's about to dump millions of gallons of bleach into their sewers that will go straight into the bay? Yeah...soy based balloons are sure your big problem, idiots!
I hate a low-flush toilet. I drop big elephant-sized turds and ain't no half gallon of water gonna flush those things away. So, I end up triple flushing and defeating the water saving objective of having a low-flush toilet (and that's not counting the courtesy flush I did halfway through).

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
BabyRaptor said:
Millions of gallons of bleach are used to treat drinking water daily. And bleach is water soluble.

On the other hand we don't usually do that since http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-03-... of the purest drinking water in the nation.

nyttyn said:
What the fuck are sea lions doing in san fransisco?
We have a large habitat of them. I can understand why they would bite a balloon, because tourists like to feed them.

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Man, why can't publishers advertise games like NORMAL people?

I don't even get. What are the balloons supposed to signify exactly?
Well, you see, the balloons siginfy the American people and the net siginfied the oppresion of the Korean regieme. So once the balloons were released, it was like how you will free your country in the game.

Or it was the fact that balloons are REEEEALLY cheap.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
The Youth Counselor said:
BabyRaptor said:
BabyRaptor said:
Millions of gallons of bleach are used to treat drinking water daily. And bleach is water soluble.

On the other hand we don't usually do that since http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-03-... of the purest drinking water in the nation.

nyttyn said:
We have a large habitat of them. I can understand why they would bite a balloon, because tourists like to feed them.
You gotta admit, though, that the City does look more than a little foolish by insisting on the installation of low-flush toilets because of the financial and environmental benefits thereof and, when that insistence causes a backlog of poo-poo in the sewer system because low-flush toilets aren't very efficient at flushing, then deciding that the solution to that problem is to spend a hundred million dollars pumping millions of gallons of toxic chlorine bleach into the sewer system which will ultimately end up in the Bay. Those facts ain't winning no Smart Government Awards.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I think it's a pretty stupid marketing idea, even if they didn't end up polluting the waters.

Off-topic, I still say they are waaaaay over-hyping Homefront. You can't beat CoD at it's own game, and Homefront doesn't look like it's doing anything new. At all. Vehicles? Meh, people play Battlefield for that.
Besides, it's not like Homefront is looking to be a narrative peice of gold like Bioshock.
Therefore, Homefront may end up being quite good, but nothing like a CoD-killer.
I think it'll be a dissapointment, like Medal of Honour. You can't beat something huge and successful, like CoD or WoW, by trying to be it.

gamee-o

Jun 3, 2010
If I throw a gum wrapper on the street, and a cop sees me do it, I get a ticket. Doesn't matter if it's a "biodegradable" one.These guys throw thousands of balloons( with their name printed on them) all over the SF bay and they expect to get a free pass? Mmmkay...

Jerome Sudan

Mar 7, 2011
Such a ridiculous campaign. I really wish I was in the meeting where that was decided...

Even better pics here:

http://flipflapwax.com/blog/2011/3/4/fail-study-thq-throws-10000-balloons-in-san-francisco-bay.html

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
JDKJ said:
The Youth Counselor said:
BabyRaptor said:
BabyRaptor said:

nyttyn said:
You gotta admit, though, that the City does look more than a little foolish by insisting on the installation of low-flush toilets because of the financial and environmental benefits thereof and, when that insistence causes a backlog of poo-poo in the sewer system because low-flush toilets aren't very efficient at flushing, then deciding that the solution to that problem is to spend a hundred million dollars pumping millions of gallons of toxic chlorine bleach into the sewer system which will ultimately end up in the Bay. Those facts ain't winning no Smart Government Awards.
I will admit that low flow toilets can have mixed results. My experience is that every plumbing job and toilet (even the same models) are different.

My family home has four of the same type of toilet. They're low flow and all work fine, but one has a handle that tends to get stuck during a flush and infinitely drain water, unless popped back in place.

My experience in the city's SROs are not so pleasing. The low flows tend to always leave floaters, requiring extra flushes negating the water saving benefits. They also clog a lot.

When they work right I'm for them. Aside from the economical and enviromental bonuses from saving water, they also fill faster so you don't have to wait to finish off a pesky floater.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
THQ seem to be going for the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' approach with this game. First this stunt, now they have a youtube ad which is a mock up of a cable news channel announcing 'Breaking News - North Korea Attacks' and showing footage of Hillary Clinton reading a statement. Remember when game advertising used to be about showing off, you know, THE GAME, and not seeing how many people you could piss off at once for the 'ooh controversy' appeal?