THQ Joins the Used Game Fight

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Honestly I see a one time 5 dollar fee to play a game online is quite just.

This way, used games have to be more competitively priced, so it will save gamers even more money.

Besides, 5 bucks doesn't even buy lunch any more, whats a fiver to play online?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Riobux said:
First THQ feels the need to make you sign up for an account if you want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat online, and now this...
The fiends! we should kill them. jk...

are you seriosly angry at that? thats almost been a standered for year nows! Almost all FPS to play online require you to sign up for years now. UT3, Crysis, all Valve games basicaly, that wasnt anything new...

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
HK_01 said:
Is this even legal?
No, over here is a severe breach of consumer rights at best and extortion at worst.

At least, that would be the case if our legal system wasn't a slave of the digital media mafia and ignores all law breaking on their part, passes new laws on their whim and convict everyone that displeases them for bogus ones.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
They are also hurting rentals. But remember kids the inability of publishers to manage their money is our fault.

Sep 14, 2009
dfphetteplace said:
Instead of punishing those that buy used, why don't they reward those that buy new?
bioware kind of does that.

not as much as they probably should...but they do have armor/characters that you get free with the game

its the day one DLC, that you get free if you buy new

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
dfphetteplace said:
Instead of punishing those that buy used, why don't they reward those that buy new?
bioware kind of does that.

not as much as they probably should...but they do have armor/characters that you get free with the game

its the day one DLC, that you get free if you buy new
Exactly. That is why Bioware doesn't suck (also making games that are really good helps a lot too).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Lawn said:

This way, used games have to be more competitively priced, so it will save gamers even more money.

As I see things the problem isn't that $5.00 is a lot of money, it's that it's yet another fee the game industry is charging. It's called being "nickeled and dimed", all of these microtransactions add up to more money than I think most people realize, and that's why the industry is doing them.

What's more in this paticular case there is a principle involved that comes down to ownership of the games, and your right to resell your property. As things progress these $5 and $10.00 fees are going to be subtracted from your trade in value for games, giving less incentive for people to trade their games in used. It will also mean the gamestops of the world also having to lower prices. It's possible it could snowball into the death of the entire used market, especially if combined with other strategies, and honestly that's more
or less what the industry is aiming to do.

This kind of thing is "here to stay" as annoying as it is, because of all the people saying "meh, it's just a fiver, that doesn't even buy lunch anymore" like they do with other types of microtransactions, and supporting the games that do this anyway. Thus for all the complaints nothing changes.

Simply put, gamers don't generally rally. Just as RPG fans bought the first games to do this kind of thing ("Dragon Age: Origins", "Mass Effect 2"), sports and fighting fans are probably going to support it with the new UFC title. Any way it goes, it reduces the value of your property, and means that those with limited funds looking for a good deal are going to have a harder time finding it, and might have to pass on the game all together.

Admittedly though what is happening with UFC isn't as bad as some other gimmicks. After all this is apparently a code for the online components. Those who just want to fight the computer offline aren't going to be as hampered. One of the problems with some other games was that it basically required single player content to be downloaded, or at least an online verification. Meaning those without their systems offline were entirely out of luck when it came to getting some of the content they paid for.

Apr 28, 2008
So if I buy this game and use the code, if my brother wants to pay he'll have to pay $5?

Yeah, fuck you THQ.

The Lawn said:

What if I loan the game to a friend? What if like I said my brother wants to play online? What if I have friends over, or go to a friends house and we want to play online?

This is just bogus, and only hurts the consumer.

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
I am rather sure if this is so bad that everyone hates it their bottom line will drop. This really isn't too unbearable except for the rental market.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Good
Goood
Gooooood

About time. Console gamers have had it easy. Now it is time to see it from the side of a PC gamer.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Congrats THQ, your idea equals me never buying anything you make ever again. I hope thats what you wanted.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
joystickjunki3 said:
And just like that, I will not support THQ anymore.
what does a normal customer lose on it? it's just a serial key.. unless you buy second hand (which inever do anyway)