THQ Kills Red Faction

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Kills Red Faction

THQ is putting the Red Faction franchise to bed forever following disappointing sales of the recent Red Faction: Armageddon [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Faction-Armageddon-Pc/dp/B003P9C6EQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311869670&sr=8-3].

Despite a big marketing push for the Red Faction series that included a UFC Personal Trainer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102167-Red-Faction-Movie-Bridges-Gap-Between-Games] also adversely impacted the quarter."

Because of that, and of the inability of the series to gain traction with gamers, THQ has decided to stick a fork in it. "Given that the title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way," Farrell said in a follow-up investors call. "In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher."

THQ Insane [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108906-THQ-Lays-Off-30-at-Homefront-and-Red-Faction-Devs] project.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-28-thq-shelves-red-faction-as-losses-increase-to-USD38-4-million]

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Loved the first one, but that ended nicely enough not to need a follow up. When i heard the premise of the follow up I just wasn't interested.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly Guerrilla was the only one I liked, the first two were kind of uninspired shooters and Armageddon was a return to crappy form. The technology from the games is better suited to the much more fun Saints Row series, and I'm at least happy there were no further lay offs. Hopefully the team can show what they're made of with the Insane project

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
So... how long till the reboot?

OT: Surprise changing the genre to hit key demos was a stupid decision.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
guerrilla was allot of fun but the new one... ehh, running around in caves just didnt really interest me enough to put money down, at least at full price

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I really liked Red Faction Guerrilla. I saw a lot of potential with what they were doing and it's sad they made a shitty sequel that led to the end of the series.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Looks like the only franchise they're doing well on is Warhammer...and they're milking that :(

Max Cool

Mar 16, 2011
Along with this site's "Unskippable" series, seems like a great time to launch an "Unplayable" feature. I volunteer to write the first installment.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I loved Guerilla. Armageddon just didn't interest me at any point through development or when it was released.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn... and I loved Guerrilla. Had one of the most fun and addictive multiplayer I've ever played.

I still don't understand how they went from sandbox with fully destructible environments to Shooting bugs in dull caves.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
And not a single fuck was given.

Honestly, I liked the first two, then I tried guerrilla and was bored to tears. It was so wacky, so crazy that it was boring. I got to the mission where you're driving the car around trying to hit all the waypoints to get out of the first mission area and had to put the controller down.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Tsaba said:
Go figure, you went from open world to rail shooter.
This: I had a ton of fun with Guerrilla but after about 3 minutes with the Armageddon demo and exposure to the trailers I knew it would just fall flat. Why couldn't they have set one in the distant future, where Mars is at an Earth-like level of infrastructure and, architecture? It could have still been red and dusty but with actual city-sized cities to actually destroy. Nobody would have ignored that game...well, nobody but they people who failed to make it a reality.

Good luck with Insanity though, to the people who weren't shit-canned outright.

manythings said:
So... how long till the reboot?

OT: Surprise changing the genre to hit key demos was a stupid decision.
This too...I wanna destroy the Martian capital with Mjolnir dammit!

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
A lot more publishers should have the guts to stop manufacturing new sequels to their established franchises. But that won't happen...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Well no shit, they went from awesome open world gameplay with brilliant multiplayer to "go here, kill this, get this, go here".

I mean, open world its still roughly the same but the choices in doing so are far greater. Also, fun fact, guerrilla actually challenged me on normal. I'm going through the new one on impossible and i've not died yet.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
So because a massive change in direction with a tacked on mutiplayer and a WTF ending doesn't do well, you decide to kill one of the few intresting game series out there. Thanks THQ, you damned dipshits, why not get another failing studio to make DOW 3 and greenlight Homefront 2. Lord knows we need more stupid decsions made from you.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Part of it may have to do with the fact that they restricted the PC demo to Onlive.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Why couldn't they have set one in the distant future, where Mars is at an Earth-like level of infrastructure and, architecture? It could have still been red and dusty but with actual city-sized cities to actually destroy.
Would not run on consoles. That game needs to be developed for PC only, or wait for the next console generation. Personally I'd wish they'd just release Geo Mod 2.0 in some fashion so that people could use it for other games.