THQ Promises No "Steroided-Out" Flag-Wavers in Homefront

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Hahaha seriously, they could have atleast had a dacent plot, korea wont unite, ifit attacks america EUrope will probobally help, and I think Japan would kick koreas ass. So much fail. As much as I hate teryotypes I would rather a belivable power like china attack.

Also this is failing at the "less patriotism" aspect.
Spellcheck. Use it.

Anyway, I don't really get why some are accusing this game of being overly-patriotic. The USA isn't exactly saving the day, they're trying to fight off an invasion.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Evil mr dave said:
megs1120 said:
For people going for a grounded setting, the war they're imagining should be a bit less ridiculous. North Korea reuniting the Korean peninsula? A Korean invasion of the United States? You've got to be kidding me.
Not nessecarilly, while i can think of no reason to invade the U.S. they (the greater korean republic) would certainly have the man power for it.
Well, I suppose North Korea would have the manpower for it if they got the Chinese Peoples Army to join up like they did when the McArthur stupidly crossed the Yalu River and singlehandedly lost the Korean War.

The big issues are that...

#1 The Chinese and North Koreans have no high seas fleet to speak of, rendering them unable to adequately project power, much less move millions of troops halfway around the world for an invasion.

#2 The USA is a terrible target. It simply covers too much landmass and is too well defended, from the military to the national guard all the way down to local militias.

It's just so silly.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
another game where America is invaded by communists?

Off the top of my head...
Red Alert 2
World in Conflict
That Xbox game, with communists in New York...

Isn't there a wikipedia page listing these?

Also, I just watched that trailer. what. the. fuck.
That game better go the RA2 comedy route, because there's no way anyone could take that seriously.

Andy Chalk said:
"We're a global company. No jingoism here," he continued. "What we're telling the story of is civilians fighting for their homes. We've created this massive world of 2027. And it's global. We haven't got there yet but you're going to see Homefront: London later on in the franchise. This is not just a game in the U.S."
Yeah, because the rest of the world really wants to play another game about saving some foreign nation from commies. You can say whatever the hell you like, but over here it still looks like jingoism. Unless it's "Apache helicopter civillian killing with joking, the game", it's going to look like jingoism.

Woo, homefront london? closer, but I'd still rather see london burn to the ground.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
One good thing about living in the UK is that we are so unimportant and overlooked, we'll never be bothered.

May 28, 2009
I like that description of steroided-out flag-wavers.

Sounds quite interesting, but again, I doubt Korea's ability in this regard, even reunited. I suppose you need to choose out of the "Big Three Enemy Countries of Modern Settings" though (no Nazis or PMCs here), which means Russia, the generic Middle Eastern country or North Korea. I play far too many games with the former two, and only one with the latter (Mercenaries), since my computer would commit bloody seppuku if I put Crysis in.

The one to do with London would be pretty good, but only if they draft in people from other regions of the country, because I'm not going to last through cockneys with the odd posh person (and if Americans are voice-acting posh soldiers, that will be terrible to hear) for a whole game.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Furburt said:
Sebenko said:
You'd almost think they don't like them!
Hubilub said:
They should have hired you! That's better than any game story I've read in ages.
I prefer my pitch for the Bioshock 3 story where the Big Daddy's daughter from Bioshock 2 has to destroy the fascistic empire of the main character from the first game (Because the evil ending in that one would be canon). He would have conquered the world through several years of hijacking nuclear submarines with his army of splicers, and have built a massive evil tower of doom stretching from the bottom of the sea to the high clouds of the sky.

It would tie in with Anarchy being in the first game and communism being in the first, as well as provide a new setting.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
To be honest that doesn't really mean anything, nathan drake (from uncharted) isn't really buff but he kills people just as easily as the super soldiers from gears of war.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Sebenko said:

Off the top of my head...
Red Alert 2
World in Conflict
That Xbox game, with communists in New York...

Isn't there a wikipedia page listing these?

Also, I just watched that trailer. what. the. fuck.
That game better go the RA2 comedy route, because there's no way anyone could take that seriously.
At least Red Alert 2 had the decency to play World War III for laughs.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Somethingfake said:
One good thing about living in the UK is that we are so unimportant and overlooked, we'll never be bothered.
Don't get cocky, you'll leave yourselves open to a Chimera invasion.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Sounds more interesting than the typical military FPS standards of "Have the player shoot brown people in the desert" and "Lets relive WWII."

Going to keep an eye on this development.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
"steroided-out, super-soldier, waving the American flag"

That makes me think Gears of War more than Call of Duty. Anyway, this game will probably end up just like Call of Duty, Metal of Honor, and Battlefield in terms of game play and style.

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
Wait..I thought the point of COD was not to be like a American super soldier in MOH. THQ should have done their homework.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I am, to be frank, insulted by how many people here speak favorably of North Korea. So okay, the United States have totally screwed up their reputation in the latest ten years - but North Korea is a brutal, opressive dictatorship that puts absolutely no value on a human life. You guys are just... ugh. I can't even pick the right words. Go educate yourself - watch some documentaries on the subject, or something.

Kursura

Apr 8, 2010
Good to know. Seeing as being patriotic in most games equals being a complete moron, the less there is the better. It's hard to relate or sympathize with people who run straight over open ground at machinegun nests (see killzone 2, world at war and resistance 2).

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Kollega said:
watch some documentaries on the subject
Or Team America.

I'm still not sure whether or not I believe Kim Jong-Il to be a cockroach or not.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Hahaha seriously, they could have atleast had a dacent plot, korea wont unite, ifit attacks america EUrope will probobally help, and I think Japan would kick koreas ass. So much fail. As much as I hate teryotypes I would rather a belivable power like china attack.

Also this is failing at the "less patriotism" aspect.
You realize that Japan has a much much much smaller military force than North Korea right? And the Japanese are prohibited by international law to spend more than a pittance on their JSDF forces?