THQ Promises No "Steroided-Out" Flag-Wavers in Homefront

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Kollega said:
I also like how you picked the flimsiest and least important of my problems with Arcanum, and attacked me for it while disregarding a simple fact: this is NOT my kind of game.
look at the start region, in the desert, brown.
Yeah dude, real funny. Few things to the contrary: first, the desert is not a starting region in the full version, second, it's relatively small compared to the full size of the islands, third, it's more of a yellow than brown if you look at it objectively, AND FOURTH: please, please stop ignoring the fact that i've tried playing Arcanum, and i didn't like the damn gameplay, because CRPGs are NOT MY CUP OF TEA!

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Hahaha seriously, they could have atleast had a dacent plot, korea wont unite, ifit attacks america EUrope will probobally help, and I think Japan would kick koreas ass. So much fail. As much as I hate teryotypes I would rather a belivable power like china attack.

Also this is failing at the "less patriotism" aspect.
Your lack of decent spelling renders you argument invalid. Korea can unite. Japan has no standing army, and it does seem less patriotic. I mean, they took Hawaii and they are close to one of our largest naval bases (San Diego). The story looks exiting and I look forward to seeing how this game plays out.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Dear American game developers.

LONDON IS NOT THE ONLY CITY IN BRITAIN.

I mean why not do homefront Glasgow/Edinburgh or something? homefront Newcastle upon Tyne. Homefront Northern Ireland.

I just irritated by all these people thikning we all talk like were off the BBC and that we're all middle class tea drinking yuppies or cockney chimney sweeps and I foresee alot of it coming in this game.

THE REGIONAL DIALECT CHANGES NEARLY EVERY 10 TO 15 MILES THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BRITISH ACCENT.

A character set around the working class of North East England perhaps.
"ere mate giz ya bullets now or am garna pure bash yee hew."

Or a Glaswegian Freedom Fighter
"seen younes wee neds am gonnae batter you! Hadaway back to korea pol afore ye get nutted in the baws!"

instead of "ORRIGHT GUVNOR AVE A CUP OF TEA WE SHOOTIN SOME JERRIES TODAY?, TAKE THE RIGHT PINE PLANK GO UP THE APPLES AND PAIRS AND DESTROY THE ENEMY HOT CROSS MACHINE BUN NEST"

OT: the story is pretty far fetched korea has a population of around 71 million suddenly becoming the head of an asian union through intimidation? China has BILLIONS invested in the usa and probs wouldnt support a korean war against america/britain if it has money invested in them. ergo korea would be held back by china if anything, not to mention india with its billiions of people.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Sounds interesting.

Reminded me of World in Conflict, though this is less realistic. Love the guerrilla feel.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Frontlines was shit (generic, badly made, poor immersion, ill-thought-through or exploited gimmicks, screwy weapon balance, completely useless AI in a game that seemed to be all about team play etc), no two ways about it, so that's not a good start. Still, nice to see an idea that at least has aspirations to be different to the generic masses.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
chemicalreaper said:
Furburt said:
However, considering this is being developed by the studio behind the phenomenally mediocre Frontlines: Fuel of War, I'll reserve my excitement.
I think that's a little unfair. Coming from someone who has actually played the game:
Frontlines actually had some really good bits -- sure, the gameplay wasn't very good and the classes were bland. But the cinematics were kick-ass (I mean even the opening cinematic was awesome) and the story was pretty damn good (and relevant and scary -- fighting for the last sources of natural oil? That's not too far away from actually happening).

Not to mention that multiplayer was actually surprisingly good -- the only bad part was the fact that nobody actually played online. The game had these brilliant, large-scale maps with great team-based gameplay... but in these huge lobbies you had maybe six or seven people at most.
I played all the way through it and by God was it painful to complete! The opening cinematic promised combined arms, squad-based play as part of a larger war machine, taking and holding ground across sweeping battlefronts in gritty urban warfare.

The actuality was a simplistic 'go here and shoot people' game with the futuristic assets side-lined as mission specific gimmicks or literally lying in the street for no apparent reason. Enemies were predictable (as bad as any CoD), and your allies might as well have not been there - having you as the single point man for the entire US military is just stupid. For once, I want the AI to at least move up with me, not wait for me to hit an arbitrary checkpoint before charging in en-mass.

From what I remember, the game had loads of ideas and didn't realise any of them particularly well. everything felt tacked on, even the shooting. I actually laughed when I realised that the SMG was more powerful and effective at any range than the assault rifle - seriously, assault rifles are the mainstay of the armoury, not the dregs!

So yeah, I'd say that calling it
Furburt said:
phenomenally mediocre
is actually giving it too much credit.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Hmm, I'm not so sure I can really get into the whole "United Korea invades the U.S." premise. I think America being invaded by Cobra would be more tenable.

It's an interesting concept, but two other things turned me off:
1. Too Human
2. The guy in the video screaming "The only good communist is a dead communist," which made me think to the article's point about going some place where American's don't want you there to avoid drawing Korean attention. If we have to deal with inane, shouting morons as a sorry misrepresentation of civilians as well, then that could weather my nerves.

zombied00d

Nov 13, 2009
I'm going to take the time to remind the developers of this game of something EXCEEDINGLY important to them: Prior to the Normandy invasion, the greatest naval invasion fleet assembled was that of King George the 3rd of England for the retaking of the colonies.

A far more plausible idea would be that Canada invades the US.

The idea of a Korean flotilla traversing the Pacific ocean to invade and hold American territory is absurd. Suspension of disbelief shatteringly absurd even. Barring the invention of teleportation technology it would be next to impossible physically, to say nothing of logisticlly for a nation such as Korea, to launch anything short of a mono-directional raid on a land mass in excess of 3500 miles away.