THQ Reveals Metro 2034 - In 3D!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

THQ has announced that a 3D sequel to Metro 2033 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22metro+2033%22&x=0&y=0] is in the works, creatively entitled Metro 2034.

Developed by THQ [http://www.4a-games.com/] fairly quickly. As a result, THQ Vice President Danny Bilson revealed, a sequel is on the way.

"We're showing Metro 2033 in 3D right now, which Nvidia is showing as one of their key demo products," he told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253756&site=cvg]. "We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034 - the sequel."

Metro 2033 wasn't a huge, runaway hit by any measure, but it had something going for it that games like Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22halo%22&x=0&y=0] simply can't bring to the table: It was cheap. According to Bilson, the sequel will be too, which is another reason why it got a green light. "There will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest cost center in the world," he added. "Those games are unbelievably reasonable, they're built in Kiev."

No word on when Metro 2034 will be released or what platforms it will appear on, but if it's made in Kiev it's a safe bet that the PC will be at the top of the list. Metro 2033 owners will be able to enjoy a fresh batch of post-apocalyptic Moscow subway shooter goodness in the very near future, however, as THQ is planning the release of the game's first DLC update, which will include new weapons, Achievements and the new "Ranger Mode" of gameplay, in "the very near future."

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wow. That game was cheap to make?

It was more amazing than most big budget shooters.

Hell, it's likely my shooter of the year.

Not overall game. Because...Bayonetta.

I'd like to know exactly how cheap it was to make, though...

One more thing:

Didn't the Escapist review tear it to shreds, though? I think it was a 2/5.

God damn it...One more thing...I thought of Uncle.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
if they polish it up, maybe make it sandbox, it would
DEFINITELY
make it to my playlist
Onyx Oblivion said:

One more thing:

logan westbrooks first review i believe
he reviewed it as a shooter, which i can respect, but it was more then a shooter, it was a journey. but if they gave you the option to take extra missions to earn money, go scavenging above ground, more weapon options... it could shine!
some call this series games... i call them bitches!

DeathByTheSword

Sep 9, 2009
It's not 4A games fault the sequel has such an unoriginal name, it's just that the writter of the Metro books decided to call the sequel that way.
Anyway I can't wait for this, Metro 2033 wipes the floor crap like MW2, MAG, Killzone, Resistance, Halo and all that garbage.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
So... wait... you mean the book had a sequel also? Huh.

If not... this won't bode well, methinks.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I really enjoyed Metro 2033, it was very atmospheric and unique, definitely a breath of fresh air in the otherwise quite stagnant shooter genre. There were some amazing scripted events and special scenes (such as the railroad chase) which kept things interesting throughout the whole game. My only complaint is that you didn't get to spend much time in the settlements, which were beautifully detailed and made it feel like people really lived there.

Oh and the mouse control wasn't quite perfect as it had some non-linearity to it, but it was not too bad and I have come to expect non-linear mouse control in current generation games, but oh well, if I want to go back to accurate mouse control, I can still play games from 2005 and before, and the few games from current gen which don't have mouse problems.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
DeathByTheSword said:
It's not 4A games fault the sequel has such an unoriginal name, it's just that the writter of the Metro books decided to call the sequel that way.
True, but I can't think of a better sequel title. Loved the first game, so I'm looking forward to this.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

One more thing:

God damn it...One more thing...I thought of Uncle.
I hated it. Particularly the parts around the Nazi/communist warzone where it became rather confusing in terms of goals/direction.

That being said I adored the story (fan of the book, though the translation is a little bizarre. It reads like there was no editing at all. You end up with lines like "My name is Hunter" he said, leaning forward "It means 'one who hunts'") and if a second game can fix the occasionally dodgy AI, sluggish shooting and bad stealth then I'll be all over it.

Miffmoff

Aug 31, 2009
With Metro 2033 as a starting point theres no way 2034 can fail. The only gripe I had with that game was the auto shotgun not killing with a point blank headshot, I loved everything else

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
creatively entitled Metro 2034.
thenumberthirteen said:
It could be worse. They could call it Metro 2033D.
The names follow the names of the books. Dmitry Glukhovsky wrote a indirect sequel to Metro 2033, called Metro 2034, which was based a year later...

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Charcharo said:
Andy Chalk said:

Uhhh Why do people think that this gets a sequel JUST because of the money? Do you even know that its based on the NEW book called Metro 2034?
Otherwise all is well Andy, ohh and why dont we get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat review?
Of course it's just because of the money, why would a company ever do anything if not for money [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxR2p88_btw&fmt=18] ?

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Charcharo said:
Andy Chalk said:

Uhhh Why do people think that this gets a sequel JUST because of the money? Do you even know that its based on the NEW book called Metro 2034?
Otherwise all is well Andy, ohh and why dont we get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat review?
Stalker is not really mainstream and the ones who do review it usually don't like it..
Though a CoP review would be nice.