THQ Reveals Mysterious WWE Online

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
THQ Reveals Mysterious WWE Online

During its recent quarterly earnings call, publisher THQ revealed a mysterious in-production title known as WWE Online.

The game, which is being developed in Asia, is, as IGN points out [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/980/980237p1.html], something of a mystery.

We know that THQ owns the rights to create wrestling titles based on World Wrestling Entertainment, and that those games are a huge cash cow for the publisher, but is WWE Online an attempt at simultaneously exploiting the lucrative license and the affection gamers have for online worlds?

Asian gamers are particularly prone to spending huge gobs of cash on the latest and greatest MMO to hit the market, and the region has a long-standing affection for professional wrestling.

The MMO market in North America and Europe is slightly more difficult to crack, but perhaps the rabid following that the WWE brand already boasts could be the catalyst THQ needs to launch a winning online world.

And, as long as we're wildly speculating for lack of solid data, why don't we just assume that this game is going to include Metal Gear Solid-esque stealth gameplay, Halo-esque online multiplayer shooting, World of Warcraft-esque expansive fantasy worlds and Nintendo-esque lovable characters?

Hell, we might as well say WWE Online cures cancer and buys your girlfriend a pony every time you say something stupid.

Actually, this sounds like the best game ever! THQ, I'm holding you to all these promises I just made on your behalf.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
a wrestling mmo...could be interesting so long as it gets focused on the right things (no grinding!!!!! )

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
How is this meant to work?
Yes Asia has a different culture and all, but will they really be willing to pay the rates of an MMO for playing a wresteling title online?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
...This is an abomination.

I am calling the Bene Gesserit.
Call on your witches then!

Everyone knows that Mentats> Bene Gesserit Witchers!

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
This is awesome!
Not a big fan, but it's always entertaining and an on-line game?! Sounds minted.

JeKaWo

Jan 2, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And that's the bottom line. Coz Stone Cold said so.

A MMO management sim could really work well.
I hope to god that you don't get kids.

The only way i think this could work as a title, and still be wrestling oriented, would mean it would be like city of heroes.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
oliveira8 said:
MaxTheReaper said:
...This is an abomination.

I am calling the Bene Gesserit.
Call on your witches then!

Everyone knows that Mentats> Bene Gesserit Witchers!
Incorrect sir!
Mentats are awesome, but they cannot compel people to do what they wish, or extend their lives far beyond what is normal.

Furthermore, I will need help destroying this abomination, so who you gonna call?
Bene Gesserit!
...Doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it..
Pff! Those witches are only good to implant religion on sand planets! If you really want someone to destroy abominations you call:

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks this could work and/or be awesome?

Imagine creating your own wrestler and going through the ranks of the WWF (screw you pandas) while maybe a mod of the game could take the role of manager and shedule your matches.
Awesome! My chances of becoming the next Gorgeous George just increased by a lot!

Shit, if I were 8 years younger or would give a shit about online gaming I'd be stoked now.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait, this is srs bizness? Wow. Or rather, WoW, because WoW is one of the best MMOs out there and how could a dialed-in placeholder of a game compete with that? It's a wrestling game, for Vecna's sake! I rest my case.

JeKaWo

Jan 2, 2009
A MMO management sim could really work well.
I was not bashing on you horribly spelled Stone Cold Steve Austin quote, i was bashing at the fact that you were trying to reduce some asskickings of ginormous proportions to a sad and sorry excuse for a game.

A management sim can and will never do the genre any good, a management sim is what you get when publishers like EA say: "How can we milk this gamelicence for even more money" and another EA employee answers: "let's make people try and make their own matches with the stars they want, instead of us actually making an effort to create something.

I too love wrestling for the art it is, and i am a Huge fan of Steve Austin, but i will say this:
"Austin 3:16 Says: "I Just Done Whooped Your Ass!"."

JeKaWo

Jan 2, 2009
The_Oracle said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait, this is srs bizness? Wow. Or rather, WoW, because WoW is one of the best MMOs out there and how could a dialed-in placeholder of a game compete with that? It's a wrestling game, for Vecna's sake! I rest my case.
How about you go play your ninja turtles game?, and stop pestering us with your blatant lack of brains..

Feb 13, 2008
JeKaWo said:
A management sim can and will never do the genre any good, a management sim is what you get when publishers like EA say: "How can we milk this gamelicence for even more money" and another EA employee answers: "let's make people try and make their own matches with the stars they want, instead of us actually making an effort to create something.

I too love wrestling for the art it is, and i am a Huge fan of Steve Austin, but i will say this:
"Austin 3:16 Says: "I Just Done Whooped Your Ass!"."
Ah, I get you now, I'm just thinking of setting something up like "Mafia Wars" or the ilk that would allow you to fight others until you reached the WWE matches.

AFAIK, "The Wrestling Game" (Browser based) does pull in a LOT of players.

JeKaWo

Jan 2, 2009
Ah, I get you now, I'm just thinking of setting something up like "Mafia Wars" or the ilk that would allow you to fight others until you reached the WWE matches.

AFAIK, "The Wrestling Game" (Browser based) does pull in a LOT of players.
i just don't think THQ would develop something like a flash application in the like of mafia wars when they have so much bigger possibilities..

try imagining that you have to go to "detroit" to find the Wrestlemania I arena where Mick Foley will allow you to buy a steel chair.