THQ Thought of Wii U Controller "18 Months Ago"

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, when I was in 1st grade and we were asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. I stated I wanted to be a 'videoist' (My 1st grade self didn't know the proper term for a game designer). I'm pretty sure this was among my many scribbles. So yeah, total rip off from me :D

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
"Hey! We came up with this gimmick first! We want all the money Nintendo will rake in because it has their name on it!"

Is Nintendo becoming the Apple of video games? People will buy it because of the name behind it?
You couldn't tell by all the white?

At least they give you stuff you probably don't need for cheap though, rather than charging you $700 for an OS.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Not actually on topic, but holy fuck, that controller is huge.

Wait, I mean...

HOPY SHIT that controller is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE [http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=017.jpg]

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Yeah its just a gimmick. 2 screens failed horribly with the DS. Fucking gimmicks. There just a bunch of gimmicks. Idiots trying to expand the input choices available to games. Jerks.
The two screens "gimmick" spawned some of the most ingenious game designs I have ever played. Gimmicks aren't bad, sometimes something a little out of the ordinary is just enough to get developers to come up with some creative ideas.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
gring said:
bombadilillo said:
Frostbite3789 said:
"Hey! We came up with this gimmick first! We want all the money Nintendo will rake in because it has their name on it!"

Is Nintendo becoming the Apple of video games? People will buy it because of the name behind it?
Yeah its just a gimmick. 2 screens failed horribly with the DS. Fucking gimmicks. There just a bunch of gimmicks. Idiots trying to expand the input choices available to games. Jerks.
Seriously? You thought it was a gimmick? It actually adds a lot to gameplay design, which is somehow bad and makes them jerks? If it failed so badly, then why did they keep the dual screen thing going with both the 3ds and the WiiU? Oh right, because its actually great.

Back OT, who cares who made it first, at this point it really isn't THAT original. Yea its kinda an ipad with buttons, but its application, I feel, is the original part.

Oh, and THQ sucks. Honestly these guys can't do anything right. I know because I worked for them.

Yay, can't wait to buy my WiiU!
Cant tell if you hit my sarcasm with your own sarcasm barrage. If so, well done. If your serious try reading the posts again.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Balobo said:
bombadilillo said:
The two screens "gimmick" spawned some of the most ingenious game designs I have ever played. Gimmicks aren't bad, sometimes something a little out of the ordinary is just enough to get developers to come up with some creative ideas.
Wow. 2 replies, guess my sarcasm was not harsh enough. Sombody else called second screen "another gimmick" to which my reply was ...yeah like the ds gimmick? Which I thought was obviously sarcastic...

I guess everyone takes you serious if you dont drop the "/sarcasm" after the post. Notice my posts overuse of the word gimmick to make fun people calling everything new a gimmick

Woulvain

Aug 2, 2009
Yeah THQ just shoved a wii-mote into a wacom graphics tablet.
The WiiU has a full on touch screen, not just a tablet.
*sigh*
Why does THQ keep saying things? Just keep giving money to volition and stay good and quiet

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
bombadilillo said:
Balobo said:
bombadilillo said:
Wow. 2 replies, guess my sarcasm was not harsh enough. Sombody else called second screen "another gimmick" to which my reply was ...yeah like the ds gimmick? Which I thought was obviously sarcastic...

I guess everyone takes you serious if you dont drop the "/sarcasm" after the post. Notice my posts overuse of the word gimmick to make fun people calling everything new a gimmick
I knew you were being sarcastic...
OT:THQ can't sue over this if they do they will burn in the court for being idiots

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
vansau said:
THQ's peripheral has shipped 1.7 million units of the tablet; it's been so successful that the publisher is working on versions of it for the 360 and the PS3. However, it should be noted that Nintendo probably came up with the idea for this type of controller first, seeing as how the console's been in the works for years.
Eerm, how? It's already out on sale around the world and has been very successful, and has been released for some time....how did Nintendo come up with this idea first?

OT: I feel sorry for THQ in a way, they release something which is actually VERY good, and the mainstream press pays no attention to it and then Nintendo releases something similar a year or two later and BAM its "revolutionised the industry".

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
mjc0961 said:
StriderShinryu said:
Ask Sega who first had a mainstream console controller with an interactive screen as part of it's design, I'm sure they could tell you.
You mean that thing that was mostly a memory card and doesn't count as being the same as the WiiU controller at all because it's not an integral part of the controller? Yeah, how about SEGA sits down and shuts up because they have nothing to contribute here. A tiny little memory card with a screen isn't even remotely the same thing as the Wii U controller.
Yep, I do mean the VMU. You know, the thing that`s better than the WiiU controller because it wasn`t tied in to the controller and console to work. Certainly the games available for it were quite minimalist, but personally I`d rather have something like that that not only served the same basic function as the WiiU controller but also allowed me to take my gaming experience away from the console that`s connected to my TV.

The VMU was far from perfect but it;s a sham for Nintendo to claim any sort of precedent here. n fact, as I said above, there are several ways (including ways Nintendo themselves has done before with their own portable to console links for example) that are much better than whay they are doing with the WiiU.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Fronzel said:
vansau said:
However, it should be noted that Nintendo probably came up with the idea for this type of controller first, seeing as how the console's been in the works for years.
That doesn't necessarily follow. Is there a reason to believe "touch screen controller!" was the idea behind the Wii U all along? Or were they just working on the Wii 2 and at some point during development decided on the touch screen controller?
It is actually a logical step for them. They have been using touch screen technology in their handhelds for what, 6 years now (not sure if that is right or not). Utilizing it in a major console makes sense.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Ha, blurp on me.

Yea a /sarcasm would help, considering tone comes through SO CLEARLY through text.

.../sarcasm

:)

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Balobo said:
bombadilillo said:

Sorry, I've been having a hard time telling the difference around here lately.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
While I can see the similarity between the uDraw tablet and the Wii U controller, it doesn't really matter, does it? Nintendo clearly took it to the next level and made it the controller to an entirely new system. From the quote, I gathered that THQ was only going to treat their peripheral as a drawing pad and that's simply too narrow a view of what this controller could be capable of. I don't know too much about the uDraw but the first big difference to me is that the Wii U can stream video to the controller. I'm fairly certain all the Wii could stream to the Wiimote was audio.

Now, if all they're saying is that they feel they'll be able to take better advantage of this new controller than other third-party devs out of the gate then so be it, they might be right but the one thing that troubles me is that it's THQ's "kids, family, and casual division" that are looking into this mostly. Especially when (it seemed to me) Nintendo expects this new controller to have many uses in hardcore games as well.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
The Random One said:
Not actually on topic, but holy fuck, that controller is huge.

Wait, I mean...

HOPY SHIT that controller is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE [http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=017.jpg]
AHAHAHAHA JUST HOW HIGH DO EVEN YOU HAVE TO BE JUST TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT..... [http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=003.jpg]

On Topic, THQ, we want SR3 and proper hardcore games, not casual tablet games. SO STFU.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I think the title of this article should read "THQ Thought of uDraw Controller 18 Months Ago," unless I'm taking the quote out of context.