THQ Thought of Wii U Controller "18 Months Ago"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, that's not too hard is it, since it's just a square controller with a touchscreen crowbarred in; Anybody could of thought of that... The reason nobody ever followed this through is because it's a fucking stupid design.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Madara said:
So? Who cares? That thing is hideous and looks uncomfortable as fuck. Theres a right way and a wrong way to add screens to controllers. This is very definitely the wrong way.
Only everyone who's actual tried out the controller is reporting it's comfortable and light.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Why is everyone taking such an aggressive stance? Did THQ once say they're going to take any form of legal action or something against Nintendo because of ripping them off? Is it so hard to believe that Nintendo's new hardware might be a little derivative? All I heard was THQ saying the gaming experience will only get better with their experience in the field.

Honestly, sometimes you people...

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Madara said:
So? Who cares? That thing is hideous and looks uncomfortable as fuck. Theres a right way and a wrong way to add screens to controllers. This is very definitely the wrong way.
Casual Shinji said:
Well, that's not too hard is it, since it's just a square controller with a touchscreen crowbarred in; Anybody could of thought of that... The reason nobody ever followed this through is because it's a fucking stupid design.
Why are people so quick to judge? I'm assuming that you guys didn't go to E3 and that as such you didn't get to try using the controller, so why are you so sure it's terrible? It's possible that it's bad, but it's also possible that the design works. Only hands on experience can actually tell you which is true.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a picture of it? That looks fucking horrible.

But yeah, I didn't like the Wii so I won't be buying this anyway.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Whiny, seven-year-old bickering, THQ? and Nintendo, I'm disappointed in you.

Actually, this is a good thing. If THQ thought of this controller before, then they might just have a good idea what to do with it in software development. Which means (finally) some AAA third-party support.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Is that a picture of it? That looks fucking horrible.

But yeah, I didn't like the Wii so I won't be buying this anyway.
1) That's just the controller.
2) Let the WiiU stand on its own eventual merits. I'm not going to force you, but you should at least give it a chance and see what it can do before outright rejecting it.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
People who hate on Nintendo will keep hating on Nintendo until the company is no more, which hopefully won't happen until the world ends.

OT: They just said "We can totally get behind this and make awesome games!" Not "We are totally gonna sue their ass!"

wii_about_guide

Feb 9, 2010
The Wii U controller is basically the bottom screen on the DS, so clearly the basic technology was come up with by Nintendo long before THQ came up with uDraw. Also, while the similarities between uDraw and the Wii U controller are obvious, so are the many, many, many dissimilarities.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Ask Sega who first had a mainstream console controller with an interactive screen as part of it's design, I'm sure they could tell you.
Or better yet this guy will tell us :p

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Why does everyone keep stealing my ideas? I had this idea six years ago. Same with the WII over 12 years ago and the internet before I was born.

All you have to do is say it without any real proof and how can you prove them wrong?

JEllery

May 12, 2010
This is kind of what the PSP was supposed to do with the PS3 if any one remembers. I was ready for it to become my inventory and map for Oblivion, or my 2nd player view for some kind of sidekick adventure. Not just the rear-view-mirror on a random formula 1 racing game. They should have taken full advantage of it and be miles ahead of Nintendo. But no, they made the rear view and seemed to forget all about the PSP - subsequently so did I, haven't played on one for years. Gutted Sony.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
jp201 said:
Why does everyone keep stealing my ideas? I had this idea six years ago. Same with the WII over 12 years ago and the internet before I was born.

All you have to do is say it without any real proof and how can you prove them wrong?
Ever heared of patent lawsuits ? Americas patent law states that the patent belongs to whoever invented it first - instead of the european model of "whoever sucessfully patented it first"

With the result that sometimes mysterious documents appear that "proof" that somebody invented an item in question around 20 years ago and could file the patent.

I don't see the appeal of the WiiU, asside from its hysterical name. The controler looks bulky and uncomfortable. Cross-platform interoperabilty would have made much more sense. As withthe example between the psp and ps3 - imagine beeing able to play certain parts of your games on your portable console while away, and use your portable as a controler for your home console when you get home.

The possibilities for merchandise, sequels and tie-in games would be endless.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
"Hey! We came up with this gimmick first! We want all the money Nintendo will rake in because it has their name on it!"

Is Nintendo becoming the Apple of video games? People will buy it because of the name behind it?
Other way around buddy ^_^

I just hope THQ uses that advantage they apparently have with the UDraw and make awesome WiiU titles.