THQ Thought of Wii U Controller "18 Months Ago"

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I don't see why this matters.
The Wii U has supposedly been in development since 2008. So unless they didn't come up with the controller idea until late 2010, then Nintendo didn't steal THQ's idea. In fact it would seem more likely that THQ came up with the idea second, and are now just trying to take credit for it since their's doesn't have to be marketed with a console.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
LorienvArden said:
jp201 said:
Why does everyone keep stealing my ideas? I had this idea six years ago. Same with the WII over 12 years ago and the internet before I was born.

All you have to do is say it without any real proof and how can you prove them wrong?
Ever heared of patent lawsuits ? Americas patent law states that the patent belongs to whoever invented it first - instead of the european model of "whoever sucessfully patented it first"

With the result that sometimes mysterious documents appear that "proof" that somebody invented an item in question around 20 years ago and could file the patent.

I don't see the appeal of the WiiU, asside from its hysterical name. The controler looks bulky and uncomfortable. Cross-platform interoperabilty would have made much more sense. As withthe example between the psp and ps3 - imagine beeing able to play certain parts of your games on your portable console while away, and use your portable as a controler for your home console when you get home.

The possibilities for merchandise, sequels and tie-in games would be endless.
Well we know the new Super Smash will be played on both the 3DS and the Wii U and you can transfer your progress from one to the other. From what Sakurai said it seems like you can create/customize characters on the 3DS and transfer them to the Wii U. It might not be highly customizable but who knows. So in other words yes the Wii U will have this. It also will have other controller types, will be compatible with the Nun chuck and Wii-mote, and most likely the GC controller or a variant of it, since only one tablet controller can be used at a time. And who knows they might have it so that you can use the 3DS as a controller. We will just have to wait for more news on it.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Heh, in general if you have a marginally new idea, you'll find 15 or more people who had the same or a very similar idea and either didn't implement it or only partially implemented it. People who pull out radically new ideas and then manage to implement that idea are actually pretty rare.

It's nice to see THQ saying things like "hah, we're in ahead of the curve! Ossum!" rather than "WE'RE GONNA SUE FOR MILLIONS!" But from what I've seen THQ is not staffed largely by assholes. I hope they get a good breakout hit or two under their belts so they're not always struggling, as they seem to be a lot of the time.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Well done THQ. You know what? Just... great for you. Seriously, great work guys.

Now how about instead of claiming to have invented it first, you focus on making some kick-ass games for it? Killer Freaks from Outer Space is a good start, but how bout the WWE game series?

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
There's so much speculation and opinion in this article it can barely be called journalism. Seriously.

vansau said:
However, it should be noted that Nintendo probably came up with the idea for this type of controller first, seeing as how the console's been in the works for years.
Where is the basis for this claim? It may be true, but in a news article you need to cite your sources. That's Journalism 101. Please provide a source stating that Nintendo began work on the Wii U and specifically it's tablet-esque controller prior to THQ's efforts before posting such a statement.

I expected better.