THQ Won't Walk Away From UFC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Won't Walk Away From UFC

THQ is spreading the blame for the soft sales of UFC 2010 Undisputed [http://www.amazon.com/UFC-Undisputed-2010-Xbox-360/dp/B0030CV356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280852037&sr=8-1] but says the franchise has "massive long legs" and that it remains committed to the brand.

It's never good news for a game franchise when it tanks so hard that its publisher is forced to adjust its annual fiscal projections around it. That's exactly what happened with UFC 2010 Undisputed; THQ CEO Brian Farrell said the game's sales were 'below our expectations and prior-year results," to the point that the company cut about $60 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101311-Low-UFC-Sales-Hit-THQ-Where-it-Hurts] from its annual net sales forecast.

But the problem wasn't the game, according to GamesIndustry [http://www.thq.com]. "The economy is still in decline - we haven't come out of recession yet, with VAT set to go up and the [U.K.] government looking for 40 per cent budget cuts... People are nervous about spending."

"There was that macro-setting, plus we were around the World Cup, which takes out a lot of consumer spending as well," he continued. "You could even put into there the iPad launch as being on the same weekend - so a lot of things are coming on to it."

Sales of UFC 2010 are beginning to "settle down to a good, steady pace," he said, noting that the 2009 edition of UFC Undisputed had continued to perform well seven or eight months after it launched. He also pointed out that with 2.6 million units shipped, UFC 2010 Undisputed is far from a flop.

"It was just that a number of factors, predominantly Red Dead Redemption, sucked so much cash out of the market. When Red Dead had shipped about 5 million we'd shipped about 2.6 million units of UFC globally - so it's still a massively successful game," Rooke said. "Just that the expectations might have been that little bit more. You have to step back a bit and recognize that."

"We're absolutely not walking away from the brand," he said. "We've got a long term commitment to it as we've shown with things like UFC Trainer, and it won't be long before we start talking about UFC 2011, I'm sure."

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
They say were still in a recession so why green light an annual game. How much did the second game bring in to the octagon to warrant a sequel? Just because Madden and EA can get away not every company should think their product should also.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Well that's good. Always did enjoy the UFC games, even if they are incredibly simple.

Actually, I probably enjoy them because of that reason. Fighting games like these are usually to fast for little ol' me.

*shakes fist at Street Fighter*

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
This seems like another case of denial. The fact RDR and the other factors that were there existed likely did cause some decline, but I doubt most fans of the series wouldn't be able to buy both. Plus, it's been what, a month since it's release? Even if it's been two weeks, anyone who wanted to buy it (and wasn't a child) likely would be able to scrape together the money.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Well UFC2009 was something new and exciting. UFC2010 is close to being the same game...like other sports franchises, i just don't see myself buyining it every year or every other year.

UFC2010 just didnt have the WOW factor the first one had.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'm sure if they keep repeating that it wasn't the game's fault enough times they'll grow to believe it...After all, the whole stupid campaign against buying second hand can't of had something to do with it!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I had the game from launch and only sold it weeks ago (for SFIV), wanna know why I sold it?

Even at that point I couldn't get online and I never got my pre-order fighters unlocked with the same code.

The career mode was just god awful, I can understand the premise but the decline was far too rapid.

It seemed no matter how many times I tried to gain position, reverse a transition on the ground, escape a submission or even attempt a submission on anything other than the easiest setting I would be unsuccessful. (and believe me I can do that motion pretty well, I used to play fight night and the way to do a hey maker is the same, I beat Ali with the weakest featherweight, on the second hardest difficulty, with nothing but heymakers)

So thats my reasoning why it flopped like magic carp in any pokemon game.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's also worth pointing out (which I didn't do in the post, unfortunately) that UFC 2010 was the first game to feature THQ's "Online Pass"-style system of making multiplayer a "bonus component" of the game - a move which was not only bound to alienate gamers but was ultimately even worse than it needed to be because of various technical fuckups. RDR didn't help, but I think UFC 2010 was pretty much doomed to falter no matter what kind of environment it was released in.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really eish they would...all fighting games like this which are realistic are always so...so bad

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
All I'm hearing from THQ is wah, wah, wah.

It's the second in an annual franchise (I hear this a lot: "Why should I buy 2010 when I have 2009?") with experimental online restrictions (an inconvenience at best, and for budget-minded consumers reduces return-on-investment). Its closest major competitor is Fight Night which (gasp) doesn't release every year.

Still, the wet-noodle selling doesn't bode well for EA's MMA game to come out later this year. I think EA's too invested at this point to back off, and hopefully we can get some decent competition going.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Jaredin said:
I really eish they would...all fighting games like this which are realistic are always so...so bad
Some could say the same for the unrealistic fighters. All a mater of opinion... I'm just glad we have the options to play realistic fighting games as well as the OTT exaggerated fighting games.

Though to be honest, I guess releasing it around the time of RDR was a bad move but they really need to grasp the idea that the whole pay online part would have greatly deterred fans. Personally I'm not against the idea of charging... I think it's pretty reasonable... However a good amount aren't and well... Those guys didn't buy the game... Might want to change that next time.

Apr 28, 2008
So they consider a 2.6 million copy selling game as a disappointment? There are many devs who would kill for that kid of disappointment.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I'm stuck on the Red Dead Redemption bit. Is there that much cross-pollination between these two games? Maybe I'm looking at this from a purely personal point of view. But I love Redemption and most sandbox games but wouldn't even think about but something like UFC.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Awwww!! Poor THQ! Did your poor little UFC game not sell that well? And you think it's because of Red Dead Redemption? And the World Cup? And the iPad? You think that everyone is ganging up on you? Awww! Boo hoo! Would you like a drink of milk and a change of diaper too, you complete and utter cry babies?

Seriously, THQ. Grow up! Don't start blaming everybody else for your problems! Look at your own game, and your sales and figure out what went wrong. Making UFC an annual series is probably the start of your troubles. Then there's the moron who thought it would bring in $60 million. Figure out the problem on your end because, NEWSFLASH!, the world is not the cause of all of your faults!

Good day to you, sirs!