THQ: WWE All-Stars the "Best Roster" Ever In a WWE Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
THQ: WWE All-Stars the "Best Roster" Ever In a WWE Game

WWE All-Stars puts three decades of pro-wrestling superstars in one ring, and according to the senior designer, WWE fans could hardly ask for a better lineup.

There are two main draws to THQ San Diego's upcoming WWE All-Stars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8561-Hands-On-WWE-All-Stars]. One is the exaggerated, over-the-top arcade-y action - it's to previous WWE games what NFL Blitz is to Madden - and the other is the premise itself: Past wrestling legends throwing down with modern superstars in dream matchups that could never have happened in reality.

The Escapist spoke with the game's senior designer David Friedland last week at a press event for various THQ titles, and he explained the challenges of putting together a roster. "I probably had a list of a hundred when I started," said Friedland, "but we really looked at it and said, who are really the best in every category? Who were the biggest of the big men? Who were the best old-school high-flyers? Who were the best grapplers? Who were the best technicians? Who were the superstar personalities?"

"We worked with WWE to get it down to what we think is the best roster we've ever put together for a WWE game."

Everyone on the team had their favorites that they were pulling for, said Friedland. "I was ready to start a fight if someone tried to get [Ricky Steamboat] off the roster. We got him in! I'd love to say that every single person we wanted is in there, unfortunately not - but I think overall it's the best representation of the WWE has ever had." Friedland also acknowledged that stars that didn't make the initial cut could be developed and added later on as DLC, naming the Million Dollar Man and his son Ted DiBiase Jr. as examples.

Within the roster, said Friedland, there were obvious comparisons to be made between the stars of yesterday and the stars of today. WWE All-Stars features an entire mode based around these concepts called Fantasy Warfare, which stars old-school legends and modern superstars "who are from different generations, but they're either a similar style in the ring - a similar personality, a similar gimmick - something about them which makes them the best at what they particularly did in their generation. And we match them up against each other."

An obvious fantasy matchup - one that was discussed at the event - was the 7'4" Andre the Giant vs. his modern contemporary, the 7'1" Big Show. Others could pit acrobatic fighters like luchador-inspired Rey Mysterio or high-flying Kofi Kingston against the aforementioned Ricky Steamboat, whose moves were more martial-arts inspired but no less nimble.

Given that the entire premise of the game - pitting two groups of fighters who would never otherwise meet against each other - was vaguely similar to "Versus" games like Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe or Marvel vs. Capcom, we asked Friedland: Would the developers ever be up for a "WWE vs. Capcom"?

"If someone wants to put that deal together," laughed Friedland, "I would certainly be for it!" The All-Stars development team had tons of fighting-game fans on it, he said - fans of Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, even Def Jam: Fight For New York.

"If someone, at some point wanted to do 'WWE Superstars Vs. Whoever,' oh I'd certainly be for it. I'm sure a lot of people would get a kick out of that."

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
The Macho Man is in a WWE game for the first time in well over a decade, what other selling point do you need? :D

I liked the Def Jam games, and for all it's flaws the TNA Wrestling game had solid gameplay under all the shortcuts they took. This game just looks just as good if not better than those. I hope they have the same online community creations system as the last few SvR games. You thought the Street Fighter guys looked good before...

Thrillho

Oct 13, 2010
I love that they've tried to use Ted DiBiase Jr as an pre-order incentive. Sure he comes with his dad, but that's like offering both cake AND death.

As for my dream match when this game comes out, how about CM Punk vs *looks through list of WWE legends currently not signed to TNA* Roddy Piper?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Thrillho said:
I love that they've tried to use Ted DiBiase Jr as an pre-order incentive. Sure he comes with his dad, but that's like offering both cake AND death.
A bit off-topic, but I find it so funny that Jr.'s gimmick is he sucks at his job and he knows it.

Thrillho

Oct 13, 2010
TheTygerfire said:
Thrillho said:
A bit off-topic, but I find it so funny that Jr.'s gimmick is he sucks at his job and he knows it.
I didn't realise he had a gimmick, or any discernable characteristics whatsoever. He's what happens if a wrestler mated with a rice cake, which tells me things about the Million Dollar Man that I never needed to know.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I would totally love to see WWE vs Capcom. Undertaker vs Haggar! Ryu vs Cena (both guys are featured too much)! Randy Savage vs Viewtiful Joe! And imagine all the crazy tag teams!

edit: You know, I might get this game. I normally ignore SvR, but this might make it more interesting.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
Pretty cool though I think it would be hampered by the fact that WWE pretty much ghosts anyone that pisses them off-no mankind, Hogan, Angle.