Three CD-ROM Games for Girls Could Return Through Kickstarter

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Three CD-ROM Games for Girls Could Return Through Kickstarter

[kickstarter=710593842/theresa-duncan-cd-roms-visionary-videogames-for-gi/]​
Three artistic games directed at young girls in the '90s will be made available on modern browsers if Rhizome's Kickstarter is successful.

Lots of adventure games for kids in the '90s were aimed at boys; it's not that different today. Arts organization Rhizome has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the relaunch of three games by Theresa Duncan.

Theresa Duncan's games Chop Suey, Smarty, and Zero Zero, all released in the 1990s, were based on the common experiences of young girls while embracing their imagination.

Speaking in a video for the Kickstarter is Duncan's mother, Mary Duncan, who describes her daughter's games as whimsical portrayals of the every day to take girls on a journey of discovery.

"You see that in boys' games," Mary Duncan said. "Particularly at that point in time, there wasn't a lot of that in girls' games."

Should this funding campaign be successful, Rhizome will make Duncan's three games playable for free in any modern browser. In addition, Rhizome is working with the New Museum in NYC to hold a public event and an online exhibition of Duncan's work in the context of feminist gaming history.

Duncan committed suicide in 2007 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/75354-Videogame-Industry-Mourns-Deaths]. She moved on to film and writing after making games directed at a group of people games were ignoring: young girls. These three CD-ROM games encouraged players to explore the world, and it especially encouraged young girls to be adventurous.

Beyond a celebration of young girls, Rhizome's project is also a work of digital preservation. The CD-ROMs are inaccessible today, so Rhizome will use Emulation in Service to use the game as it appeared without needing additional software. Emulating the game allows it to be played as closely as possible to its original. The games will be available for free for one year, after which the rightsholders would have to agree to an extension. After this project, Rhizome stated it "will be able to re-enact many more artworks on a wide array of legacy systems."

The Kickstarter campaign is asking for $20,000, over half of which is developer costs and server infrastructure. The campaign will end on Dec. 18.

Source: Rhizome (Kickstarter) [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/710593842/theresa-duncan-cd-roms-visionary-videogames-for-gi/description]

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Minor writing quibble, the way you wrote "Duncan committed suicide in 2007. She moved on to..." almost reads like "Duncan committed suicide in 2007, and then she moved on to...". Kind of threw me for a second - I understand her suicide is an important fact, but I don't understand why you put it there.

Otherwise, neat. Seems like a nice thing to do.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
I thought Chop Suey was a book....

Very least, sake of preservation should allow these games an attempt to come back.

karoliso

Apr 14, 2009
"[...]richly-drawned characters[...]"

By what universe's standards? It looks dodgy even for it's time.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
Man looking at that packaging art is like stepping through a time portal.

karoliso said:
"[...]richly-drawned characters[...]"

By what universe's standards? It looks dodgy even for it's time.
I assume by "richly-drawn" they mean in terms of writing, not actual art.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
EvilRoy said:
Minor writing quibble, the way you wrote "Duncan committed suicide in 2007. She moved on to..." almost reads like "Duncan committed suicide in 2007, and then she moved on to...". Kind of threw me for a second - I understand her suicide is an important fact, but I don't understand why you put it there.
I had the same moment. That line really should be at the end of the paragraph, not the beginning.