Three Fabulous Indie Games to Take the Pain Away

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Three Fabulous Indie Games to Take the Pain Away

These are just a few of the abundant bounty of great indie titles I've found recently.

Read Full Article

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
More info about 20XX:

- Massive item roster means that most games will progress differently. Item shops, loot crates, and challenge rooms will dump all sorts of goodies into your little greedy robot fingers. Provided that you can reach them, anyway...

- There are usually more ways to deal with obstacles the further you get into a particular playthrough. Incidentally, there are also more aggressive traps and enemies to deal with, and bosses you fight later will have additional and more powerful techniques and health, which factors into your overall strategy.

- Co-op mode. Has to be experienced to comprehend. Mega Man Universe? What's that?

- Constantly rotating boss roster every season means that there's more bosses than are shown on initial playthroughs.

- Roguelite is not only implemented in stage assembly and enemy/powerup placement, but you also get to choose whether or not you actually bother to take a boss subweapon (you also have the option to pick a powerup or more currency to use at shops), meaning that even when you don't like a subweapon, you won't go away emptyhanded. Incidentally, since the game tracks things like how often you reject subweapons, the developers usually respond after a given period of time by adjusting the game so that the subweapon doesn't suck.

- Daily and monthly leaderboards for fastest completions of game seeds (everybody gets the same configuration) of varying levels of difficulty. Also regular leaderboards for regular and challenge mode gameplay. Yes, there are also co-op leaderboards.

- Both not-Mega Man X and not-Zero are available to play right off the bat. Also, not-Mega Man X is a cute girl.

- When everything goes right, you will feel like a god. When everything goes wrong, you won't feel robbed because it's very likely that you screwed up and not the game. (If something does go wrong with the game, you can report it and it'll be addressed in the next regularly scheduled patch.)

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
One of the best games I've played recently was LISA (or Lisa: The Painful)

A wonderfully written dark comedy about the depravity of man, with some genuinely difficult plot points. I thought it deserved much more recognition similar to Undertale, but I alas it must not have that broad of an appeal.

Highly recommended.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'd recommend Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt.

It's a light hearted game where you go around and heal people... and this healing process is illustrated via a one screen bullet hell stage. It is reminiscent of the Binding of Isaac.

It's available for the nice price of free as well.

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
Bedinsis said:

It's a light hearted game where you go around and heal people... and this healing process is illustrated via a one screen bullet hell stage. It is reminiscent of the Binding of Isaac.

If you enjoy paying for things, there's also a prequel that came out recently for 3 bucks that adds more game mechanics.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
weirdee said:
Bedinsis said:

If you enjoy paying for things, there's also a prequel that came out recently for 3 bucks that adds more game mechanics.
I know, but since I haven't bought it I cannot recommend it in good conscience.

Have you played it?

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
Bedinsis said:
weirdee said:
Bedinsis said:

I know, but since I haven't bought it I cannot recommend it in good conscience.

Have you played it?
not yet, but I probably will once I get more time

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
I may be beating a dead horse, but if you're a sane RPG fan (= own Skyrim), Enderal offers 30 to 100 hours of gameplay, for the nice price of downloading about 8 GByte of data.