Thundercats Reboot Writer Shows Off First Official Image

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Thundercats Reboot Writer Shows Off First Official Image

It's a new look for the Thundercats, one more in keeping with the new century they find themselves in.

Todd Casey, one of the writers for the upcoming Thundercats reboot, has tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/wordwarthree/status/30104514015002624] the first official image from the show, giving us a look at how the eighties cartoon classic has been updated for 21st century. The image shows four of the six main Thundercats characters, with only the twins WilyKit and WilyKat missing.

The characters have had an anime makeover - hardly surprising as it's Studio 4°C, the Japanese animation studio that is also working on erotic thriller Catherine, providing the art - but they're still immediately identifiable to fans of the show. The main character, Lion-O, (center) looks younger in this version, as does the speedster Cheetara (bottom left), whereas Panthro (right) looks older, and quite a bit meaner. The costumes have also received some tweaking, with the leotards and trunks of the original swapped for pants, vests, and what looks like actual armor.

Attendees at the London Toy Fair also got a chance to see some of the characters who aren't in the picture. Apparently the remaining two Thundercats have received complete redesigns, while the villainous Mumm-Ra - who can infuse his withered, mummy-like form with energy borrowed from evil spirits - remains quite similar to his previous incarnation.

The new Thundercats series is scheduled to debut on Cartoon Network at some point this year. According to spokespersons for the channel, fans of the old show will enjoy it a great deal.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/26/new-thundercats-cartoon-an-official-pic-this-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)]

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
To me, it would be a huge plus if I hear, "Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats! Hooo!" ....yeah.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What about Snarf?

But really, this actually looks pretty cool. Is there any information on whether they're going for a "new adventure every episode" type show or for a continuing storyline?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I think those look like a great update. They're recognizable, and retain the "spirit" of the original characters, but also don't look laughingly bad (like a lot of the 80s cartoon character designs do, if you go back and look at them).

Of course, the quality should be higher. A lot of progress has been made in animation quality in the last 20+ years :p

It looks like they added more detail to the Thundercats logo too.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
"According to spokespersons for the channel, fans of the old show will enjoy it a great deal." Hmmm, like Knight Rider 2000 and every subsequent genertaion of Transformers? - I couldgo on of course, but I won't.
I am yet to be convinced. Also, what is it with the Japanese making all heroes either old and grizzled veterans or young impetuous teenagers. Have they ever heard of people in their mid to late twenties?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Cheetara and Tygra look fine, but I'm not too sure about Lion-O and Panthro. Lion-O is too young, and I prefer the old "no hair" Panthro to this new "I've gone bald" one.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I like the designs, I just hope the show doesn't suck, which considering it is aired on Cartoon Network can or can not happen.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
The image shows four of the six main Thundercats characters, with only the twins WilyKit and WilyKat missing.
What the fuck about Snarf!! How awesome (in a ironic sense) would it be if he was just a Pikachu clone with a tuft of hair in the middle of his head and chest.

Edit: I got ninja'd contemplating if "a" or "an" was appropriate to put before the word ironic.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I feel old.

it's better than it could have been. It's obvious they are trying very hard to match with the old show. And the reason Mum-Ra is the same is cos Mum-Ra is just the business.

I still prefer the old hairstyles though. 80's Mel Gibson HOOOOOOOOOO!

Edit: I just noticed Panthero being balding. come on that cat is like the Ving Rhames of the Thundercats

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Batfred said:
Also, what is it with the Japanese making all heroes either old and grizzled veterans or young impetuous teenagers. Have they ever heard of people in their mid to late twenties?
They have those. Rarely in main character roles, though.

OT:

Looks solid, but I'm really not digging Lion-o's new eye color. Too bright!

Not a deal breaker, though. I'm not like the crazy Sonic fanboys.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Is it just me, or does Lion-O look like Luke from Tales of the Abyss and does Panthro look like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop?

The art looks nice, but I'm still on the fence I think.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
go god why is LionO and Cheetera teenagers?! >.<

what them being adults isn't edgy enough for the children? o_O

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
DTWolfwood said:

Wasn't LionO technically a child in an adult's body? -_^

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow the image look awesome (it sort of remind of this deviantart images of updating those character to this modern age). Depending how good the episodes will be, I will hope that it will fair better then the He-Man remake (lol I wonder if they will follow the same first episode were everyone was nude).

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
I might not watch the show, but the models look decent. I liked the reboot of He-man that they did, so maybe ill check it out.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Negatempest said:
To me, it would be a huge plus if I hear, "Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats! Hooo!" ....yeah.
Is it bad that Thunder Cats was my favorite show as a kid, and that's all I can remember? Anyway, this will be interesting, my anime 'to watch' list is running a bit low.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
GothmogII said:
DTWolfwood said:

Wasn't LionO technically a child in an adult's body? -_^
hey at least he looked the part :p

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
What I find odd is, whenever I see a reboot of anything, the changes made are hard to take in. But not with this. I can see that they're still maintaining the original designs in some form.