Tides Of Numenera Is Not A Planescape: Torment Sequel

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Tides Of Numenera Is Not A Planescape: Torment Sequel

Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment is working a new game featuring "Torment" in its title, but don't expect the Kickstarter-funded Tides of Numenera to pick up where 1999's Planescape: Torment left off.

Though we've known about Torment: Tides of Numenera for quite some time, the game was only officially announced this morning. Alongside the announcement developer inXile Entertainment also offered up a host of new info on the game, though fair warning, those of you who've been playing PC roleplaying games for years might not like what you're about to read.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first: Torment: Tides of Numenera is not a sequel to Planescape: Torment. It vaguely shares a setting ("Torment" refers to a segment of the expanded Dungeons & Dragons universe), but since that setting consists largely of otherwordly spaces in which humans, demons and all manner of other creatures can jump to other realms via a nigh-infinite number of magical doorways that doesn't really mean much.

More accurately, Numenera's setting is a new realm created relatively recently by famed game designer Monte Cook. If that name sounds familiar, it's for one of two reasons: Either you're confusing it with the pledged a massive $517,255 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o] before the fundraiser drew to a close.

So if this new game isn't a follow up to Planescape: Torment, why would inXile affix "Torment" to the title? That's false advertising, right? Not exactly. Though the games aren't set in the same geographical location, and won't feature the same wacky cast of characters, Torment: Tides of Numenera is a spiritual, thematic sequel to Planescape: Torment. Fargo claims that Numenera will feature "complex and nuanced morality decisions" which push players toward "carefully contemplating deep and reactive choices with consequences that echo throughout the game." That's a pretty solid way to describe Planescape: Torment as well, so we're happy with this.

As for Numenera's setting, inXile offers the following:

"Numenera's Ninth World is a fantastic vision of a world in which massive civilizations continue to rise and fall with only cities, monuments, and artifacts left behind to serve as reminders of their past existence. These reminders have become part of the accumulated detritus of eons and now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking," this morning's announcement states.

"The humans of the Ninth World call the ancient power left behind the numenera. One of these humans has discovered a way to harness the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You."

"In Torment: Tides of Numenera, players will have to decide for themselves the eternal question, what does one life matter?"

No doubt driven by the success of Monte Cook's Kickstarter, inXile plans to launch a fundraising effort of its own this Wednesday. Specific details on that Kickstarter effort are currently scant, but we expect that the revelation will also offer our first chance to read truly in-depth information on what Fargo and pals intend to accomplish with Torment: Tides of Numenera. Or, failing that, it should at least give us some useful screenshots of the game. Here's hoping at least one includes a floating skull whose horrific memento mori appearance is matched only by his rapier wit and sarcastic ennui toward existence as an ambulatory brain casing.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/04/torment-tides-of-numenera-kickstarter-to-kick-off-this-wednesday/]

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
"Let's make a Planescape: Torment sequel!"
"We can't afford the license."
"Let's do it anyway! We'll half-ass together a visually and thematically identical setting and call it a "Spiritual successor! :D"
"Genius!"

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
We already knew this right? Anyway I have no particular attachment to the setting, it was the game and themes that were interesting, taking on the theme is a step in the right direction.

I hope Wasteland 2 came out before this kickstarter'd though because there's no guarantee that they can do the game part of the equation justice. Obsidian have established that they've still got the writing talent, inXile have a lot of the right people, but they don't have the history as a studio to back it up

I think I'll probably back it, as a gesture of faith for daring to make a game with intelligent ideals but I wish there was more to go on

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I thought it was the "Planescape" that was the multiple overlapping doorway plane thingy, not the so called "torment" mentioned here:
Earnest Cavalli said:
It vaguely shares a setting ("Torment" refers to a segment of the expanded Dungeons & Dragons universe), but since that setting consists largely of otherwordly spaces in which humans, demons and all manner of other creatures can jump to other realms via a nigh-infinite number of magical doorways that doesn't really mean much.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Let's get the bad news out of the way first: Torment: Tides of Numenera is not a sequel to Planescape: Torment.
I'd say that's good news. P:T well and truly finished. It's done, kaput, no use milking it. I don't need some manufactured new crisis for the Unnamed One (an evil emperor has stolen your princess and is going to destroy the world!). Spiritual sequel is where it's at.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Considering how much I love Brian Fargo's work I'll trust him on this one. Planescape did have an amazing and unique setting but the way the story was told and the themes it covered was the sticking point.

I think we could do with a new setting that introduces far more alien concepts than just dwarves, elves and dragons.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Zagzag said:
I thought it was the "Planescape" that was the multiple overlapping doorway plane thingy, not the so called "torment" mentioned here:
Earnest Cavalli said:
It vaguely shares a setting ("Torment" refers to a segment of the expanded Dungeons & Dragons universe), but since that setting consists largely of otherwordly spaces in which humans, demons and all manner of other creatures can jump to other realms via a nigh-infinite number of magical doorways that doesn't really mean much.
You are of course, correct.

I can't get too excited about this without Chris Avellone. Besides I never wanted a PS:T sequel, I just wanted more games like PS:T...and I've been playing RPGs on PC for years...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zagzag said:
**giggle**

Yes, you are correct. That's a typo. Torment is the actual name of the game. Planescape is the setting.

Therefore this Torment is a (spiritual) sequel to the previous Torment, but set in Numernera rather than Planescape.

Also, for those who don't know, Monte Cook is awesome. This setting is in good hands.

I am very excited about this project. I'd post a "Shut up and take my money" pic, but as there is to be another KS apparently I won't have to wait.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'm liking the story details so far. Seems like this time round you'll be playing the equivalent of the Transcendent One rather than the Nameless one.

Shakura Jolithion

Nov 9, 2009
Tradjus said:
"Let's make a Planescape: Torment sequel!"
"We can't afford the license."
"Let's do it anyway! We'll half-ass together a visually and thematically identical setting and call it a "Spiritual successor! :D"
"Genius!"
You brought back memories of System Shock... le sigh.
Also, isn't "Planescape" the setting, not "Torment" which the article said?
Either way, I'm waiting for reviews before sinking in to this one. And avoiding pre-release hype, since Bioshock had BS gameplay compared to what they promised...

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
They should 've had Bill O'Reilly run their PR: He's never had a miscommunication when it comes to Tides.
I certainly can't explain why they didn't choose him either.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
What a poorly written news article.

> developer inXile Entertainment also offered up a host of new info on the game

None of this is new.

> "Torment" refers to a segment of the expanded Dungeons & Dragons universe

"Planescape", not "Torment"

> you're confusing it with the Numa Numa kid

Why would you even...

> Cook initially sought $50,000 to cover his development costs

$20,000

> why would inXile affix "Torment" to the title? That's false advertising

Because: "we will focus on the same things that made people appreciate PST so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story."
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

It's about a personal torment.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Let's get the bad news out of the way first: Torment: Tides of Numenera is not a sequel to Planescape: Torment.
This is good news.

Planescape: Torment does not need a sequel.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Zagzag said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
That and the city of doors was Sigil, I think Planescape was the broader setting. Torment was never a location in the D&D multiverse as far as I'm aware.

It seems like this article was poorly researched.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
octafish said:
I can't get too excited about this without Chris Avellone. Besides I never wanted a PS:T sequel, I just wanted more games like PS:T...and I've been playing RPGs on PC for years...
That's pretty much what this sounds like, though. The story's connections to the previous game are strictly thematic.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
octafish said:
If it makes it any better...

You know what? That does make me feel better. Thank you. I do still wish they would work on one game at a time though, looking forward to Wasteland 2 and now this.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
The news article seems somewhat negative to me as well as poorly written, to the point of being sarcastic (Numa Numa). Heigh ho, I imagine its going to be massive wether or not Earnest Cavalli approves of it.