TikTok conspiracy theorists claim Texas' snow is fake

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

Viral TicTok videos from people who skipped science in elementary school claim the snow in Texas is manufactured, because it doesn't react to fire the way they believe "real" snow would. So, how do they explain it? "Biden did it!"

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
yes, the 'scorching' is soot from incomplete combustion products and the snowball is melting into itself. and those are both somewhat interesting factoids independent of being the cause for a pretty wild conspiracy theory about snow of all things.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The best part of a Conspiracy Theory is that it doesn't have to make sense. Anything you say that debunks any part of it means you're either:

A. A Sheeple who is too dumb and/or naïve to see THE REAL TRUTH
B. Part of THE DEEP STATE that is covering it up

That's what makes Conspiracy Theories so great. I'm smarter than all of you because I see THE TRUTH and you're either too dumb to see it or you're part of the cover-up. I get to be super smart without having to actually be...you know...smart.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
yes, the 'scorching' is soot from incomplete combustion products and the snowball is melting into itself. and those are both somewhat interesting factoids independent of being the cause for a pretty wild conspiracy theory about snow of all things.
It is kinda rad actually. I’d be interested in a more thorough explanation. I’ve heard people say that the fire is hot enough the snow turns directly to vapor and some say that the snow is just porous and absorbs the melted snow. It’s cool.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It is kinda rad actually. I’d be interested in a more thorough explanation. I’ve heard people say that the fire is hot enough the snow turns directly to vapor and some say that the snow is just porous and absorbs the melted snow. It’s cool.
i'd very much doubt the first of those. sublimation is possible at some temperatures and pressures, but as far as I know, not the kind you're likely to find around 1 atmosphere and the flame of a lighter.

the slush theory is much better; just as with rain after snow, snow absorbs water. I think this guy actually shows it happening with a snowball in a frying pan: https://www.popsci.com/article/science/why-fake-snow-doesnt-melt-because-its-real/

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Here is the forum for that.
(cool fact - the site founder was a coder on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater)
This was going around in 2014. Stupidity is cyclic.

Reactions: tippy2k2 and Revnak

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Scientific curiosity is one thing and perfectly acceptable and understandable. However, the proliferation of false information and grand conspiracy theories based entirely on ignorance, a literal lack of any fundamental understanding, is something else that needs to be squelched at every instance; there's enough stupid out here already. "Free speech," my ass; if what you "feel free" to say is levels of ignorance that put centuries-old knowledge to shame, others should have the right to punch you in the fucking mouth.

Social media can be fun, but when people like those using it to call "fake snow" at a time when people are dealing with very REAL power outages, tainted water and devastating property damage, it angers me to no end.

I'd much rather entertain conspiracy theories surrounding insurance companies who've collected payments for years, then found ways to weasel out of insuring, y'know, the JOB we pay them for, during desperate times.

Let's theorize over power companies, the ones who prioritized privatization and non-federal regulation, who blamed the mass outages on their not charging enough previously, their apparent over-generosity, and how the victims of their short-sightedness who froze for a week and watched their pipes burst can look forward to bigger charges indefinitely in case this happens again in another decade.

Yes, I'm angry and stupid shit makes me more so.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Every education-based official in Texas needs to be fired. Fullstop. For a state with supposedly high teacher pay, the state produces lots of idiots like Rick Perry, and Abbot.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Every education-based official in Texas needs to be fired. Fullstop. For a state with supposedly high teacher pay, the state produces lots of idiots like Rick Perry, and Abbot.
Sad thing is "pay no mind to the man behind the curtain." Politicians and corporate execs will simply remind Texans how resilient they've been and how great they are for being Texans, and their own failures and ineptitudes will be swept under the rug of good ol' Texas pride.

I already have at least one "friend" on Facebook who effectively slapped Ted Cruz on the wrist for literally fleeing the state during a disaster before turning her ire towards AOC and disparaging her efforts in raising $5,000,000 in Texas relief as a "political move;" biting a helping hand like a prototypical, self-righteous idiot. I hate people. I say it at least once a day: God should have stopped at dogs; humans just fucked everything up.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Scientific curiosity is one thing and perfectly acceptable and understandable. However, the proliferation of false information and grand conspiracy theories based entirely on ignorance, a literal lack of any fundamental understanding, is something else that needs to be squelched at every instance; there's enough stupid out here already. "Free speech," my ass; if what you "feel free" to say is levels of ignorance that put centuries-old knowledge to shame, others should have the right to punch you in the fucking mouth.

Social media can be fun, but when people like those using it to call "fake snow" at a time when people are dealing with very REAL power outages, tainted water and devastating property damage, it angers me to no end.

I'd much rather entertain conspiracy theories surrounding insurance companies who've collected payments for years, then found ways to weasel out of insuring, y'know, the JOB we pay them for, during desperate times.

Let's theorize over power companies, the ones who prioritized privatization and non-federal regulation, who blamed the mass outages on their not charging enough previously, their apparent over-generosity, and how the victims of their short-sightedness who froze for a week and watched their pipes burst can look forward to bigger charges indefinitely in case this happens again in another decade.

Yes, I'm angry and stupid shit makes me more so.
And you know what's the cherry on the top? Those who didn't lose electricity have been billed thousands of dollars because their plan uses wholesale prices (aka, based on supply vs. demand).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
And you know what's the cherry on the top? Those who didn't lose electricity have been billed thousands of dollars because their plan uses wholesale prices (aka, based on supply vs. demand).

Yeah, I've seen a few instances such was that. It's why I'm so pissed. People creating "fake snow" conspiracies while the REAL bullshit is happening directly in their faces. Seriously? Fake snow?? That's what your worried about when the [2nd] biggest, baddest state in the union was basically crippled by a few cold days and a few inches of "fake" snow?? No thoughts on how this state's independence rang hollow during a period of weather (fake or not) that most other states might have seen as a mild inconvenience??

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde