Tim Schafer Says Double Fine Will "Someday" Make Brutal Legend 2

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Tim Schafer Says Double Fine Will "Someday" Make Brutal Legend 2

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1414/1414426.jpgDuring an E3 interview with Jack Black, Tim Schafer said that Double Fine will make a sequel to Brutal Legend "someday."

Tim Schafer has been in the news of late because he was appearing at E3 to be interviewed by Jack Black. Black had previously worked with Schafer when he provided the voice for Eddie Riggs, the main character in Brutal Legend. As you'd expect there was speculation that this might be the lead up to, or setup for, an announcement of a sequel to the heavy metal-themed game. In fact, when the floor was opened up for questions, someone in the audience yelled out "BRUTAL LEGEND 2!"

At that point, Schafer apologized for the impression that Brutal Legend 2 might be announced, and said that panel was just a public chat between two old friends. But then he went on to offer up at least sliver of hope to those wishing that the sequel would happen.

"Someday we'll make that game," Schafer said. He add that it would be an expensive undertaking, which is not surprising. After all, the original featured many famous musicians, popular rock songs, and more. As the first Brutal Legend had a hefty $25 million price tag, it's not hard to imagine a sequel going well beyond that eight years (or more) later.

Many people were turned off by Brutal Legend's combination of real-time strategy and third-person action. I've had a number of people tell me that the game was great until it got to "those stupid strategy parts." However you felt about it, there's one thing you can't deny - it's outsold every other game Double Fine ever released.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, I would love to see a Brutal Legend 2, hopefully with a drowning dark and demon campaign, but I'm not gonna hold my breath since I know how Double Fine works.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, and someday I might stop thinking Tim Schafer is an asshole. However, I'll bet money on Brutal Legend 2 coming out first.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I wouldn't call the strategy parts boring, so much as mechanically obtuse, awfully controlled, and lacking any kind of real ability to tell WTF was going on at any point. Leaving a sense of "strategy" where it seemed like you had less control then when your minigunner misses an alien his gun is literally jammed through the torso of in Xcom.

Which left the main strategy of just bum rushing the objective with one set of units personally. Which worked, which thereby kind of invaidated all the actual strategy as pointless garbage.

Though its probably one of Schafers more reasonably expensive games, since a lot of it was probably just music licensing.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Let's deliver on Psychonauts 2 first, after Spacebase DF-9 and the nostalgia remakes, I'm not getting the hype with Schafer anymore.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Try not to make it this weird RTS Hybrid and actually make it a Third Person God of War esque Action Adventure.

Or if you really want to keep the Open World aspect than fine but make it like GTA but fun and metal.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
maybe you should crowd fund it Tim, get the money, use it up, ask for more, and then not produce the game.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Is a sequel really something people are asking for?!?

As someone who enjoys the music and recognised/appreciated the cameos in the first game, I didn't think it needed a sequel... and the gameplay on its own didn't warrant one. Plus no Lemmy this time around would be a downgrade.

But I can't stand Jack Black, so maybe I'm biased on this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ask me how I feel about this once Pyschonauts 2 comes out. Assuming half the game doesn't come out, wait a year and then get the unsatisfying second half for no explained reason.

Also, it would be really nice if most of the gameplay wasn't Stage battles with some collection quests.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
But...why? Thought the first one really explored everything in the world there was to explore, personally
I remember there being 2 giant broken bridges that made me feel there were at least 2 sequels planned.

Still without Lemmy I can live with never knowing if they lead anywhere.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pallindromemordnillap said:
But...why? Thought the first one really explored everything in the world there was to explore, personally
Er, it felt like a lot of the world(especially after beating lionwhite) was just kind of there. You go from stage battle from stage battle after the time skip without getting a real feel for anything. It might also be that the 2nd half the game feels unfinished, like they were running out of time and needed to get it shipped.

At least, that's how it felt to me.