Time Magazine holds poll to ban a word in 2015. "Feminist" leading the poll [Final Update]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The fact that TIME magazine even allowed such a stupid poll to grace their pages anyway just shows how much quality news in America has died (seriously the TIME in other countries has a much higher quality standard.)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Kalezian said:
LarsInCharge said:
This post made no sense... and yet was one of the most frightening things I've seen in a while.

Is this really what "GamerGate" is about? A bunch of man-children coming up with a conspiracy that feminists are trying to take over the world?

I didn't listen when they said Jews were taking over the world. I didn't listen when they said Comrade Obama was taking over the world. Why should I listen now?

"Throwing people into ovens is, like, not a big deal."- Arthur Chu "

This is the person you support?

Great, good to know you are antisemitic.

Let me post more of the person that you evidently support:

and yet Gamergate are the bad guys because we want gaming journalists to be actual journalists, while you guys can sit around saying the holocaust "wasn't that big of a deal"
It's absolutely amazing how GG finds every single complete nobody on the internet and make them out to be the next Hitler of the internet. Who is this person? What influence does he have on anything? Why should anyone even remotely give a shit?

Like...why don't you expend that effort on people doing actual corruption. Like, that EA exec paying IGN out the ass for good reviews on AAA the videogame?

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Got I fucking hate #sorrynotsorry

It means that you're a self-righteous **** in 99% of cases. I've never seen someone use it and not want to punch them in the face

FUCK I HATE THIS UUUURRRGGGHHH

b.w.irenicus said:
Well duh, if the label "feminist" is that tarnished in the eyes of the public, perhaps you should just, like, abandon the titel altogether and start with a new one, right? *snark* *snark*
i c wot u did thar

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Can you imagine if a magazine with a feminist ethos ran a silly poll on banning a word?

So many people on the Internet would probably just collectively shit their pants and point to the feminists trying to censor free speech.

That would be entertaining. XD

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Voted for feminist.

I just think it is overrated in the first world.
In India? - Go ahead be feminist in e.g. France? WTH?

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Cool. Can we get rid of gamergate, feminist, and SJW? Then we might be able to restart the conversation without every having sport team mentalities to everything. Gamergaters wont have some identity to get spoiled by assholes, feminists the same, and SJWs won't be able to collectively circle-jerk each other instead of talking to the people debating them.

But everyone has to take sides, everyone has to have "others" to hate.

Why can't Hatred just get banned somewhere to gamers can unite once more and not have these stupid dead end arguments?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Can you imagine if a magazine with a feminist ethos ran a silly poll on banning a word?

So many people on the Internet would probably just collectively shit their pants and point to the feminists trying to censor free speech.

Well, Bossy is on the list. A word that feminists tried to ban. And I don't see anyone taking issue with it.

Dragonbums said:
It's absolutely amazing how GG finds every single complete nobody on the internet and make them out to be the next Hitler of the internet. Who is this person? What influence does he have on anything? Why should anyone even remotely give a shit?

Like...why don't you expend that effort on people doing actual corruption. Like, that EA exec paying IGN out the ass for good reviews on AAA the videogame?
Well, at least two of those tweets were tweeted directly at #GG. So by the looks of it, he went looking for them and not the other way around.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I just love how people get so worked up over a stupid pointless internet poll. Does anyone ever actually treat these things as a serious thing with actual consequences in all honesty? I mean really approaching this thing as reality with the worst case scenario who would enforce such a ban on a word? In any case if the past few months have really shown anything it is that the internet gets worked up over the most inconsequential shit, I think a lot of people just need to step away from the keyboard & relax.
The Bucket said:
Do Time Magazine polls ever not get messed with? I don't see what the big deal is
As long as they are on the internet people will troll the polls in mass. Also not seeing the big deal means you have a real life & are capable of rationalizing that internet polls are not laws to be passed meaning they don't matter very much.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Colour Scientist said:

They did. Here's the list they wanted to ban...

Man
Brother
Father
Son
Equality
Creativity
Merit
Talent
Effort
Ability
Reason
Tolerance
Logic
Rational
Fact
Reality

They also wanted to switch the word "criticism" with the word "harassment" and the word "penis" with the word "rape utensil". I pointed out that the last one was actually two words, resulting in them banning me for harassment.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Plunkies said:
Colour Scientist said:

Man
Brother
Father
Son
Equality
Creativity
Merit
Talent
Effort
Ability
Reason
Tolerance
Logic
Rational
Fact
Reality

They also wanted to switch the word "criticism" with the word "harassment" and the word "penis" with the word "rape utensil". I pointed out that the last one was actually two words, resulting in them banning me for harassment.
You really should post a source/link on something like that.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Plunkies said:
Colour Scientist said:

Man
Brother
Father
Son
Equality
Creativity
Merit
Talent
Effort
Ability
Reason
Tolerance
Logic
Rational
Fact
Reality

That sounds completely plausible and totally like something that happened in real life.

Source?

Edit:

VanQ said:
Well, Bossy is on the list. A word that feminists tried to ban. And I don't see anyone taking issue with it..
When did this happen?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My opinion: this is fucking hilarious.
words to ban: I voted for bae. I just found out about this word yesterday and it already irritates me.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
VanQ said:
Well, Bossy is on the list. A word that feminists tried to ban. And I don't see anyone taking issue with it..
When did this happen?
Just so you know, editing in quotes doesn't notify the person you've quoted. There's nothing wrong with a double post if you actually want an answer. And it happened about 8 months ago now.

The entire project was spearheaded and publicized by Sheryl Sandberg. Who is this Sheryl Sandberg? Taken from her page on Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheryl_Sandberg];
Sheryl Kara Sandberg (/ˈsændbərɡ/; born August 28, 1969)is an American technology executive, activist, and author. As of September 2014, she is the Chief Operating Officer of Facebook.
She is quite publicly feminist and even wrote a book, also taken from Wikipedia;
In 2013, Sandberg released her first book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, co-written with journalist and TV writer Nell Scovell. It is about business leadership and development, issues with the lack of women in government and business leadership positions, and feminism

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Colour Scientist said:
That sounds completely plausible and totally like something that happened in real life.

Source?
Why am I surprised...

"Poe's law, in broader form, states:

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing"

Maybe feminism really should be banned when multiple people request a source for something that is pure satire.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
VanQ said:
Colour Scientist said:
VanQ said:
When did this happen?
Just so you know, editing in quotes doesn't notify the person you've quoted. There's nothing wrong with a double post if you actually want an answer. And it happened about 8 months ago now.

The entire project was spearheaded and publicized by Sheryl Sandberg. Who is this Sheryl Sandberg? Taken from her page on Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheryl_Sandberg];
Sheryl Kara Sandberg (/ˈsændbərɡ/; born August 28, 1969)is an American technology executive, activist, and author. As of September 2014, she is the Chief Operating Officer of Facebook.
She is quite publicly feminist and even wrote a book, also taken from Wikipedia;
In 2013, Sandberg released her first book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, co-written with journalist and TV writer Nell Scovell. It is about business leadership and development, issues with the lack of women in government and business leadership positions, and feminism
Thanks, I know how the forums work, this is your thread so I knew you'd be reading all of the responses.

That's your example of feminists trying to ban the word bossy?

It's a light-hearted fluff campaign of celebrities trying to discourage people from labelling girls as bossy when they try to adopt leadership roles. It's about encouragement for young girls.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Plunkies said:
Colour Scientist said:

Source?
Why am I surprised...

"Poe's law, in broader form, states:

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing"

Maybe feminism really should be banned when multiple people request a source for something that is pure satire.
Maybe that just casts a shadow on the quality of your satire.

Nah, must be everybody else.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Thanks, I know how the forums work, this is your thread so I knew you'd be reading all of the responses.

It's a light-hearted fluff campaign of celebrities trying to discourage people from labelling girls as bossy when they try to adopt leadership roles. It's about encouragement for young girls.
And this thread is a fluff poll about people trying to stop the misuse of words. The word feminist is on there trying to discourage people from using the word as a title as an easy answer for their political leanings in leadership roles. It's about the encouragement of having a proper discourse on the matter rather than relying on catch-all labels.

Edited because I screwed up the quoting right after lecturing you on it. Oh the irony...

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
VanQ said:
Colour Scientist said:

And this thread is a fluff poll about people trying to stop the misuse of words. The word feminist is on there trying to discourage people from using the word as a title as an easy answer for their political leanings in leadership roles. It's about the encouragement of having a proper discourse on the matter rather than relying on catch-all labels.
Yeah, that's why it's up there with equally complex words such as bae and obvi.

I'm not for a second taking this poll seriously but don't pretend that it's something it isn't.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
VanQ said:
Colour Scientist said:

Yeah, that's why it's up there with equally complex words such as bae and obvi.

I'm not for a second taking this poll seriously but don't pretend that it's something it isn't.
I occasionally see serious polls on this website where the poll maker puts a joke answer or two like Bacon on there. Not saying this poll is in any way serious but the complexity of some of the words/answers in the poll is more or less irrelevant.