Time to put the Dead Space hate to bed.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ThriKreen said:
Ed130 said:
Its the Microtransactions in singleplayer, the co-op (becuase it worked in RE5! /sarcasm), the various PR statements form Visceral, the whole 5 million copies or it gets shafted deal...
So the microtransactions are optional, like boosters in LoL, to ease and speed up the grindy aspects of the game. Or enable New Game+ mode off the bat with an existing finished game save slot or something, for what seems like retaining extra resources and such for the upgrades and all that.

And playing in coop is optional as well, if you play in single player you don't get an AI partner like in Gears of War, so you retain the solo feel.

I seem to have missed the memo where "optional" means "forced".
Its the fact that it even exists, not weather you have to use it or not that people are pissed at.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Ed130 said:
ThriKreen said:
Ed130 said:
Its the Microtransactions in singleplayer, the co-op (becuase it worked in RE5! /sarcasm), the various PR statements form Visceral, the whole 5 million copies or it gets shafted deal...
So the microtransactions are optional, like boosters in LoL, to ease and speed up the grindy aspects of the game. Or enable New Game+ mode off the bat with an existing finished game save slot or something, for what seems like retaining extra resources and such for the upgrades and all that.

And playing in coop is optional as well, if you play in single player you don't get an AI partner like in Gears of War, so you retain the solo feel.

Its the fact that it even exists, not weather you have to use it or not that people are pissed at.
But the guns packs and suit packs which were basically exactly the same thing from Dead Space 1 and 2 are just fine and dandy right? Or where was the rage for that DLC?

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Actually many people did enjoy the co-op of Resident Evil 5. The problem with Dead Space is that its eliminated the bro-friendly split screen option. Now to play it co-op you have to go online (online pass). I've played through RE5 and Gears with a teammate and I like it much better when I have a friend in the room. I like having the person right there.

I'm a couple of hours in. I haven't found any gamebreaking need to buy stuff but haven't gone that far either. They did minimize the harassment to do the microtransactions but its still there and annoying that it exists. There are other stupid parts to the game. You start in a blizzard limping but if you hold down the aim button, you stop limping. What the hell is up with that?

Its okay but it does seem less horrorish and more actiony than the others.
More actiony than 2? That isn't very reassuring.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Maeshone said:
Ed130 said:
But the guns packs and suit packs which were basically exactly the same thing from Dead Space 1 and 2 are just fine and dandy right? Or where was the rage for that DLC?
There is a small difference between what are basically skins and what could be construed as cheat codes, namely cheat codes used to be free.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Ed130 said:
Maeshone said:
Ed130 said:
There is a small difference between what are basically skins and what could be construed as cheat codes, namely cheat codes used to be free.
Except all those "skins" had maxed out stats from the start, essentially making them cheats by that reasoning as well. The only difference really is that now you're just getting parts so you can build your own guns rather than get premade ones.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I didn't realise people were complaining about that. Dead Space was never scary to me so I don't really care all that much if they took the horror out. The reason I'm pissed about DS3 is all EA's DLC stuff.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Maeshone said:
Except all those "skins" had maxed out stats from the start, essentially making them cheats by that reasoning as well. The only difference really is that now you're just getting parts so you can build your own guns rather than get premade ones.
Really? I got all the extra suits in Dead Space 2 (the PC version had them pre-installed and someone found them) and I still had to upgrade to a vanilla suit before the end.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Ed130 said:
Maeshone said:
Really? I got all the extra suits in Dead Space 2 (the PC version had them pre-installed and someone found them) and I still had to upgrade to a vanilla suit before the end.
To be totally honest I don't know about Dead Space 2. I play the xbox version, and on Dead Space 1 there where packs that had armor with increased damage resistance or weapons with increased damage (Above the default max that is). After finding this out I didn't even bother looking at the DLC for 2 except for Severed, since I just automatically assumed it was the same. I might be wrong, and if someone can verify this I'll happily correct my stance :)

felbot

May 11, 2011
ThriKreen said:
Ed130 said:

are you really comparing a 60 dollar game to a free to play game? really? because that's the thing here, the micro transactions isn't the thing here, its the fact that you have to pay 60 dollars and then the game has the gull to demand more money for stuff in game. hell most people tell you its a fucking bad idea to buy level boosters in lol so i have no idea where you got the idea that was comparable.
remember this is ea, the guys who have made at least 2 pay to win games already, they are going to shove this thing so far down your throat you'll gag your gut out

anyway on topic, dear god there is a lot of threads about this whole dead space debate, which is funny to me because these threads just give people more place to criticise the game which is exactly what the op told us not to, well no op, we aren't just going to shut up just because you don't like the criticism, that's not how freedom of speech works.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I didn't realize people were complaining about Dead Space. These days people mostly seem to be angry about DmC and My Little Pony, believe it or not.
As much as the Season 3 finale has me worried, I do apologize about how widespread the panic's gotten. Most of us who don't like what's happening aren't insane illogical assholes, but the minority are indeed a very loud bunch.

On Topic: I don't care for DS either, but EA's terrible handling and overly high expectations of DS3 are set to kill a rare AAA horror franchise. Maybe DS3 going actiony will make it a better game, but all the nickel and diming that EA's trying to pull combined with the 5-million-sales crap and the alienating of players looking for a AAA horror game will see to the end of the series, which will put yet another notch into EA's massive "studios / franchises killed" belt. That's where most people's issues lie.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
felbot said:
ThriKreen said:
Ed130 said:

are you really comparing a 60 dollar game to a free to play game? really? because that's the thing here, the micro transactions isn't the thing here, its the fact that you have to pay 60 dollars and then the game has the gull to demand more money for stuff in game. hell most people tell you its a fucking bad idea to buy level boosters in lol so i have no idea where you got the idea that was comparable.
remember this is ea, the guys who have made at least 2 pay to win games already, they are going to shove this thing so far down your throat you'll gag your gut out

anyway on topic, dear god there is a lot of threads about this whole dead space debate, which is funny to me because these threads just give people more place to criticise the game which is exactly what the op told us not to, well no op, we aren't just going to shut up just because you don't like the criticism, that's not how freedom of speech works.
How about World of Warcraft then? full price to buy during launch, monthly subscription fee, and it still has microtransactions. Why is this ok, but everyone starts raging when it's EA?

Secondly, Pay to Win is when the most powerful items in a game are ONLY availible to buy with real money, and not availible by just playing the game. Common misconception, but a misconception non the less. What titles are you referring to here?

Thirdly, you don't actually have freedom of speech here, forums are private property subject to what the mods deem acceptable. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to complain, just figured I'd point that out :)

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Maeshone said:
Ed130 said:
Maeshone said:
To be totally honest I don't know about Dead Space 2. I play the xbox version, and on Dead Space 1 there where packs that had armor with increased damage resistance or weapons with increased damage (Above the default max that is). After finding this out I didn't even bother looking at the DLC for 2 except for Severed, since I just automatically assumed it was the same. I might be wrong, and if someone can verify this I'll happily correct my stance :)
I don't know about Dead Space or the Severed DLC, but the armour pack items would be better than Tier 1 (Mechanic suit) probably better than the Tier 2 (Security) but I think I switched to the Tier 3 Vanilla.

Edit: I did switch to the Vanilla Tier 3 RIG due to it's bonus (price drop at stores) beating the DLC RIG's when I picked it up.

(All Suits in Dead Space 2 had a bonus like enhanced damage for a weapon, both DLC and vanilla)

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
IDGAF what any of the EA haters, or Dead Space nay-sayers say. I have this pre-ordered and am absolutely pumped for Tuesday.

Oh, and I probably WILL shell out at least a couple bucks on microtransactions. As a supporting games/studios thing, and I also don't give a damn if EA puts it in all their games as long as its optional, which in this case, and every case before it, has been just that... optional.

felbot

May 11, 2011
Maeshone said:
felbot said:
ThriKreen said:
Ed130 said:

How about World of Warcraft then? full price to buy during launch, monthly subscription fee, and it still has microtransactions. Why is this ok, but everyone starts raging when it's EA?

Secondly, Pay to Win is when the most powerful items in a game are ONLY availible to buy with real money, and not availible by just playing the game. Common misconception, but a misconception non the less. What titles are you referring to here?

Thirdly, you don't actually have freedom of speech here, forums are private property subject to what the mods deem acceptable. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to complain, just figured I'd point that out :)
you have seriously never seen anyone complain against actibliss? i stopped playing wow the instant i noticed those awful micro transactions, the monthly paying is to pay for the servers i assume, they just added the micro stuff on top of it.
bastards.

the titles I am referring to is battle field heroes and battlefield free2play, both of them are such blatant cash grabs im surprised people are actually playing them, you cant even get any weapons permanently, the only way you can get any weapons permanently is to use real money, and yes certain weapons can only be bought with money, hell i wouldn't be surprised if this game invented the term pay to win.

and yeah i know, the mods still rule here.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
felbot said:
you have seriously never seen anyone complain against actibliss? i stopped playing wow the instant i noticed those awful micro transactions, the monthly paying is to pay for the servers i assume, they just added the micro stuff on top of it.
bastards.

the titles I am referring to is battle field heroes and battlefield free2play, both of them are such blatant cash grabs im surprised people are actually playing them, you cant even get any weapons permanently, the only way you can get any weapons permanently is to use real money, and yes certain weapons can only be bought with money, hell i wouldn't be surprised if this game invented the term pay to win.

and yeah i know, the mods still rule here.
Ok, yeah, fair enough. I've seen plenty of bitching aobut actiblizz, but never on the same level as the bitching against EA despite the fact that, IMO, actiblizz are often worse.

I actually never tried those two games, so I'll take your word for it. Not that it's very hard to believe. Thank you for clarifying though :)

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
ThriKreen said:
Probably the first post I've read on this website in a long, long time that is has the voice of reason. Thank you for saying what needed to be said forever ago.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
felbot said:
because that's the thing here, the micro transactions isn't the thing here, its the fact that you have to pay 60 dollars and then the game has the gull to demand more money for stuff in game.
Stuff, which like in LoL or DS3, you can still achieve without paying for. Again, it's optional, not forced. So why are you complaining?

It's as bad as the complaints about including homosexual relationships in various RPG games. They are not forcing you to engage in them, but people behave like it is.

felbot

May 11, 2011
ThriKreen said:
felbot said:
because that's the thing here, the micro transactions isn't the thing here, its the fact that you have to pay 60 dollars and then the game has the gull to demand more money for stuff in game.
Stuff, which like in LoL or DS3, you can still achieve without paying for. Again, it's optional, not forced. So why are you complaining?

It's as bad as the complaints about including homosexual relationships in various RPG games. They are not forcing you to engage in them, but people behave like it is.
are you seriously equating me to a homophobic person? well that's just dandy.

and as i said before, league of legends is free to play, it costs nada, none, inget, hence why they can have micro transactions.
dead space 3 is still 60 dollars up front, then it also forces you to grind tirelessly or have you spend god knows how much money just to get some materials, its outright greed.

nvzboy

Dec 29, 2012
As a fan I hate to see microtransactions being introduced into one of my favourite series. I didn't necessarily got myself into Dead Space because of the horror element that a lot of people camplain is lacking. Sure the first game was a lot more scary and claustrophobic but what to me makes dead space what it is is the story and the setting. I loved the science-fiction setting, the atmosphere and the gameplay mechanics.
It pains me to see EA make statemants like "this game needs to sell about as much as its predecessors combined". I fear that the franchise is going to walk the same road MoH Warfighter did.
Just the opinion of a worried supporter of the series.