Time to put the Dead Space hate to bed.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not invested in it myself so I honestly don't care what happens, but any time a franchise changes its tone deliberately, it is reasonable for fans to complain. We all know what EA does to the tone of a series and if that happened to Armored Core or Metal Gear or something, I would be complaining. Secondly, the other part of it is the unaltered initial price + microtransactions anyway, which I also find to be a reasonable thing to complain about.

If they release a new IP and you don't like it, ok, don't play it. But releasing an entry in a series means you are automatically appealing to fans of that series and those fans have expectations, and I don't like EA using a series to attract more players rather than improve the game within it's role.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
It's time to put Dead Space to bed, full stop. This should apply to all series.

Once you have turned an original idea made into a game into an effort to keep the game going for the sake of keeping it going and getting more income, it's finished. Does anyone seriously think Dead Space 3 will have even an ounce of originality in the overall execution of the game? Of course not. It's going to play it safe, do what it knows people will buy and maybe throw in a few pointless novelties to avoid accusations of being stale.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This thread is an execise in futility, well-intentioned or otherwise. However, there's one thing that I feel irresistibly drawn to...

PiotrTheAdequate said:
It is an unfortunate inevitability that sequels should try to up the stakes, sacrificing some of that original brooding horror atmosphere.
No, no it isn't.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I loved the first two games.

I will absolutely not be buying the third.
It honestly seems like they've gone out of their way to ruin the series.

Sargonas42

The Doctor
Mar 25, 2010
What I don't understand above all else, is why people are so much up in arms over a game that is not out yet. Is the vast populous REALLY going to base their judgements on a small handful of reviewers who have early access? A bunch of people who's entire livelihood is based on stirring up discussion and generating hits is going to define for you how you should feel about the game?

Why don't people wait until they play it tomorrow, THEN start discussing it's faults and strengths?

also...

felbot said:
ThriKreen said:
felbot said:
because that's the thing here, the micro transactions isn't the thing here, its the fact that you have to pay 60 dollars and then the game has the gull to demand more money for stuff in game.
Stuff, which like in LoL or DS3, you can still achieve without paying for. Again, it's optional, not forced. So why are you complaining?

It's as bad as the complaints about including homosexual relationships in various RPG games. They are not forcing you to engage in them, but people behave like it is.
are you seriously equating me to a homophobic person? well that's just dandy.

and as i said before, league of legends is free to play, it costs nada, none, inget, hence why they can have micro transactions.
dead space 3 is still 60 dollars up front, then it also forces you to grind tirelessly or have you spend god knows how much money just to get some materials, its outright greed.
I don't understand your hate either still. SO WHAT?! We're talking about OPTIONAL resources you can buy to make the game easier for the kind of person who is lazy and wants a short cut. You can enjoy EVERYTHING the gam has to offer without spending the money, OR you can buy some f these resources, and give yourself a moderate leg up in the weapon arsenal. That's it. How is that a bad thing? ITS OPTIONAL WITH NO NEGATIVE IMPACT FOR OPTING OUT.

Lastly... it is gall not gull.... that would be a bird.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Sargonas42 said:
What I don't understand above all else, is why people are so much up in arms over a game that is not out yet. Is the vast populous REALLY going to base their judgements on a small handful of reviewers who have early access? A bunch of people who's entire livelihood is based on stirring up discussion and generating hits is going to define for you how you should feel about the game?

Why don't people wait until they play it tomorrow, THEN start discussing it's faults and strengths?
Maybe it's because you don't need to play the game to complain about certain things like the microtransactions which, whether they are just tacked on or they were part of the design from the beginning, WILL have an effect on the game.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
So I'm not supposed to get mad at Dead Space 3 because it has become an scifi action game with good shooter mechanics? But that's the problem. If I wanted to play a scifi shooter I have a lot of better choices, CoD BLOPS 2, Mass Effect, Doom 3, even Gears of War. The only thing that made Dead Space worth playing originally was the horror atmosphere. But if you take that away then why should I play Dead Space anymore? What does it have that hasn't been done better elsewhere?
They took away what made Dead Space feel any sort of fresh and interesting and replaced it with jump scares, guns, and shooting guys.

Sargonas42

The Doctor
Mar 25, 2010
romanator0 said:
Sargonas42 said:

Maybe it's because you don't need to play the game to complain about certain things like the microtransactions which, whether they are just tacked on or they were part of the design from the beginning, WILL have an effect on the game.
Can I ask, in all seriousness, how does an optional component that has no detrimental impact to opt out of, negatively effect the game? You are simply being offered the OPTION to take, for all intents and purposes, shortcuts IF you want to in building up your weapon arsenal. I'm genuinely curious where this line of reasoning comes from some people. It's clear a lot of people feel this way so there MUST be something to it, but I'm not grasping the foundation on it.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Sargonas42 said:
romanator0 said:
Sargonas42 said:

Can I ask, in all seriousness, how does an optional component that has no detrimental impact to opt out of, negatively effect the game? You are simply being offered the OPTION to take, for all intents and purposes, shortcuts IF you want to in building up your weapon arsenal. I'm genuinely curious where this line of reasoning comes from some people. It's clear a lot of people feel this way so there MUST be something to it, but I'm not grasping the foundation on it.
Where did I say it was a negative effect? The type of effect that microtransactions have doesn't even have anything to do with your original post or my response.

My point was that you telling people to quit bitching until they have played the game is stupid because things like the microtransactions wouldn't require playing the game to understand what kind of effect they will have on the game. And taking into consideration that the microtransactions are for purchasing materials to upgrade weapons it is completely understandable for people to get up in arms because EA are quite likely making a game that they are marketing as survival-horror easier just so they can make a bit more money.

It's also not even the fact that the microtransactions are most likely making the game easier, it's also the simple fact that the microtransactions exist. Do you know what the justification for these microtransactions was? The justification was that some people want instant gratification and would rather upgrade their weapons now instead of doing it at the pace the developers have designed into the game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/25/dead-space-3-microtransactions/

Several years nobody would have been up in arms over this because several years ago these microtransactions would have been cheats. You wouldn't have a little shop button lurking on the upgrade screen letting you know that you can always do more upgrades for just a few more bucks. EA are taking an option that most people never cared about or bothered with and monetizing it and trying to shove it into peoples face. That's why people are getting up in arms over this and it's extremely simple-minded to try and tell people to play the game before they complain when something like this can be easily analyzed without playing the game.

In conclusion: People are mad because EA are monetizing cheats and if people do buy this game and do buy ingame materials with real money then EA will have gotten away with it. They will then be putting microtransactions into more of their games and after that they will be going even farther in trying to milk money out of their games.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I just find it odd when people complain that Dead Space is going less horror when, 1. Dead Space shits the bed on its horror elements at the end and turns into an action game, and people seem to never mention it, 2. Dead Space 2 was an action game. People liked it. There marketing the next one as actiony probably because people liked the last one. At this point there is has been more action game in Dead Space then Horror game and people act amazed at the idea.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
SnakeCL said:
So uh, not understanding where the "horror" is absent in the Dead Space 3 demo. My girlfriend couldn't even watch me play the demo, and she's a Resident Evil veteran.

You think resident evil is... horror... And think dead space is horror...

Though in all serious, I don't think deadspace should die, I just think EA needs to stop drinking it like a money vacuum... which will not happen.

John Connor M

Aug 29, 2011
Played the first and second, liked them but thought they were a bit dull, predictable and unoriginal.

Played the demo (2 times, once in coop) for the third and I absolutely hated it from start to finish, I can't really put my finger on why - it was just really boring and fighting human enemies was strange.

Hopefully it's a massive flop that shows the game industry how having a massively bloated advertising budget can kill games dead in the water because of unrealistic sales targets just to break even.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Le sigh...

Because while microtransactions may be optional, their inclusion has a very real effect on gameplay.

Imagine it like this: a sequel to a game comes out. In this sequel, you can either use real money to upgrade your weapons, or grind away to collect 999 essences with which to barter and upgrade your weapons in game.

Now, whether your choose to spend your money or not is entirely optional. However, if you decide not to do so, then you the player are still forced into grinding away to collect 999 essences with which to upgrade your weapons. So it's not really a choice at all. You either hand over money, or the game will sidetrack you into one long side mission to collect essences, rather than actually getting on with what you wanted to be doing.

Ask yourself this: why does Dead Space need grinding? This isn't an MMO. It's supposed to be a Horror title. Either Survival Horror if you go by the marketing for the series, or Action Horror if you go by the marketing for this game in particular. In both cases, Horror is not exactly a genre which lends itself well to microtransactions. If I'm farming Necromorphs for currency or whatever, I'm not exactly going to be feeling very terrified, am I? You didn't see Ripley farming Xenomorphs for hunting trophies in the Alien series. I don't see why the player should be forced to do the equivalent in this game, just to unlock more weapons. Either integrate those weapons into the core game design, or don't fucking include them. Don't force players with a choice between giving up cash or wasting time grinding when the emphasis is supposed to be on surviving a horrible onslaught of horror nasties.
And if the game was designed with people who won't use the microtransactions in mind? Making the microtransactions only for instant gratification and the default game not very grindy at all (Which seems to be likely judging by the demo)

Besides, Dead Space 1 and 2 had guns you could buy for real money that had improved stats compared to your default loadout, but there wasn't a massive outcry for that. What is the difference really?

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
What's to hate? I ran out of giving a shit where Deadspace was concerned around the time that they decided that "The Marker" (y'know, the iconic artifact the 1st game centered around) would do exactly the opposite of what it did in the original in the sequel.

1st Game: You must restore The Marker to X point thus holding back the infection and saving us all!

2nd Game: You must destroy the new Marker! As this one wasn't holding back the infection, it was causing it! Don't that just beat all? Please don't think too much about how nonsensical and slipshod this plot is, we're hoping gore, bright colors & a really obnoxious ad campaign will make up for it.

Sargonas42

The Doctor
Mar 25, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Sargonas42 said:
romanator0 said:
Sargonas42 said:

Le sigh...

Because while microtransactions may be optional, their inclusion has a very real effect on gameplay.

Imagine it like this: a sequel to a game comes out. In this sequel, you can either use real money to upgrade your weapons, or grind away to collect 999 essences with which to barter and upgrade your weapons in game.

Now, whether your choose to spend your money or not is entirely optional. However, if you decide not to do so, then you the player are still forced into grinding away to collect 999 essences with which to upgrade your weapons. So it's not really a choice at all. You either hand over money, or the game will sidetrack you into one long side mission to collect essences, rather than actually getting on with what you wanted to be doing.

Ask yourself this: why does Dead Space need grinding? This isn't an MMO. It's supposed to be a Horror title. Either Survival Horror if you go by the marketing for the series, or Action Horror if you go by the marketing for this game in particular. In both cases, Horror is not exactly a genre which lends itself well to microtransactions. If I'm farming Necromorphs for currency or whatever, I'm not exactly going to be feeling very terrified, am I? You didn't see Ripley farming Xenomorphs for hunting trophies in the Alien series. I don't see why the player should be forced to do the equivalent in this game, just to unlock more weapons. Either integrate those weapons into the core game design, or don't fucking include them. Don't force players with a choice between giving up cash or wasting time grinding when the emphasis is supposed to be on surviving a horrible onslaught of horror nasties.

And that right there is why I don't get why people are up in arms before playing the game and experiencing just HOW this actually works for themselves! How do you know that you have to grind in order to get all this stuff in-game? For all you know, everything you get can be organically found through a normal play through if you take the time to complete every level fully. Ooooorrrr you can buy the resources to have guns in Chapter 3 that maybe you would not have the resources for until Chapter 7. Or it could be that yes, you have to farm some group of Necromorphs over and over.. but who knows? The game isn't out yet so this deep level of vitriol seems reckless until there is concrete data to be seen with our own eyes, and not rumors and speculation.

Emiscary said:
What's to hate? I ran out of giving a shit where Deadspace was concerned around the time that they decided that "The Marker" (y'know, the iconic artifact the 1st game centered around) would do exactly the opposite of what it did in the original in the sequel.

1st Game: You must restore The Marker to X point thus holding back the infection and saving us all!

2nd Game: You must destroy the new Marker! As this one wasn't holding back the infection, it was causing it! Don't that just beat all? Please don't think too much about how nonsensical and slipshod this plot is, we're hoping gore, bright colors & a really obnoxious ad campaign will make up for it.
There is more to the story than that. The Marker on Aegis was from long ago, and behaved that way because it was built by design to contain/control the spread of Necromorphs. The marker on The Sprawl was created there, based on the instructions and programming that was implanted in Isaac's brain by the previous marker. Of course it behaved differently, it was DESIGNED to do that by the first marker when Isaac was "programmed". Expect to see a much stronger explanation of this in the 3rd game. I find it crazy that you would actually discredit the entire IP based on one simple thing like this that is easily explained by the backstory, and something that has all kinds of possible, and valid, explanations even if it wasn't.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Wrong. Ms. Orders-by-Videophone explicitely states that the Marker from the 1st game was ALSO a reverse engineered human contraption. And said Marker never ONCE -not a single time over the course of Dead Space 1- gave any indication of "programming" Isaac, or wanting to replicate itself. All it ever did was Broadcast instructions for him to "Make us Whole" (IE: restore The Marker to functionality).

Then Dead Space 2 came along and BOOM, Isaac is suddenly so familiar with the inner workings of the machine that served as his secondary taskmaster (y'know, once the only non-suicidal female character in the game proved to be a traitorous *****) that he could provide written instructions for a team of clueless dipshits to build one that does exactly the opposite of the original one. The explanation given? "We don't know how to make this thing. It's making us make it."

So riddle me this, why the hell would a Marker designed to "contain/control" the spread of necromorphs mindfuck Isaac in such a way that he would... BUILD A MARKER THAT SPREADS THE NECROMORPH INFECTION!?

Any quarantine device that comes with a secondary feature that passive-agressively broadcasts instructions on how to engineer the contagion you're trying to contain into the minds of bystanders has a few key design flaws.

And none of this even addresses the soft science nightmare and/or clusterfuck that was: being beamed inside your own head (where you're still using your pre-moded weapons, of course, a fucking engineer couldn't possibly come up with better weaponry *inside their own imagination*) to defeat the final boss. Which was... the genetic memories of an alien species that built a machine to prevent them from being ressurected but also passively tries to defeat its own prevention measures by mindfucking sapient humanoids who wander by... who looks like your dead girlfriend. Obviously.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
CharrHearted said:
SnakeCL said:
So uh, not understanding where the "horror" is absent in the Dead Space 3 demo. My girlfriend couldn't even watch me play the demo, and she's a Resident Evil veteran.

You think resident evil is... horror... And think dead space is horror...

Though in all serious, I don't think deadspace should die, I just think EA needs to stop drinking it like a money vacuum... which will not happen.
Well, yes, because you know that being scared is not a definitive aspect of "horror" right?

Revulsion, the macabre, are all aspects of the horror film genre. Just like, conversely, movies about the supernatural are not necessarily "horror" on their own.

There's no diehard line of what constitutes a horror, what consitutes action horror, and what constitutes action thriller, etc.

Its different things to different people, but to honestly claim "bwahahaha, its not horror because I wasn't scared!" is moronic. I haven't played a game that I've been scared of, or seen a movie that scared me. Guess none of those of horror either. Exorcist? That's just Supernatural Thriller, I'm not scared.

This whole "horror or not" thing is nothing more than a digital dick-measuring contest about who is the most macho.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Personally I think it's time to put ALL the hate to bed.

Seriously. It's fine to not like something. But every time a major title gets released, we get about 200 forum posts about how much it sucks. For the love of god, people, stop @#$%^& whining.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
WHINING ABOUT THE FACT THAT PEOPLE WHINE IS BAR-NONE THE MOST IRRITATING FORM OF OBNOXIOUS COMPLAINT. YOU'RE LITERALLY SAYING:

"Oh my god, the fact that people get upset is so upsetting. Stop it."

YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM IN EVERY GOD DAMN WAY SO GET OFF YOUR FUCKING HIGH HORSE.