TIME top 5 games of the year

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I think I disagree with Angry Birds, and Alan Wake's place as #1.
I'd probably give it to Heavy Rain, but otherwise, pretty good list.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
i laughed about that list today. angry birds, what the fuck? where's cod? where's minecraft? where are all the funny indie games like super meat boy? and why the fuck is fuckin super mario on this list? :D

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Korten12 said:
Why the hell is Angry Birds on that list? O_O
Big seller, I guess.

Everybody seems to miss that it's a clone of Newgrounds-spawned Crush the Castle, though. And half the time I see people calling similar flash games clones of Angry Birds. I guess success really does make you the ur example of a given game type, at least in the eyes of the public.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I sense a distinct lack of Mass Effect 2. And an excess of agitated winged, bipedal, endothermic, egg-laying, vertebrate animals.

black-magic

May 21, 2009
Crazyjay said:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

T3h @#$%?
I love Time, but seriously guys, if your gonna do something, don't half ass it.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I am sure they defended their choices for each game in the blurb describing why. I am more curious as to what their parameters were for making it to the list.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Jester00 said:
where's minecraft?
To be fair, putting Minecraft on that would be kind of ridiculous, since it's not even finished yet. Sure you can play it, but it's still in the alpha. It would be like putting Dwarf Fortress on the list. Even if it is an awesome game, it's one that hasn't been finished yet.

Anyways, I don't see any reason why I should care about what TIME magazine writers think is the best videogame. Given their tastes, maybe these are games they really enjoy, and I won't berate them for that.

Feb 13, 2008
*sigh* As usual, the non-techs try to impress and go for the ones they've heard about.

Angry Birds is ok. Alan Wake is pretty. RDR is most notable for its bugs and the journey to Mexico. Halo is Halo, and SMG2 wasn't half as well known as SMG.

Missing - of course - are God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 2, SSF IV, Battlefield BC, Black Ops, Civ 5, Dead Space 2, Gran Turismo 5, Bioshock 2 and though I may hate it, Starcrack 2.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Oddly enough, only game I agree with on that list is RDR.
Why is Angry Birds on there, along with Halo?
Needs moar ME2 and Heavy Rain

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Crazyjay said:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

You forgot the other 5
6: Limbo
7: Super Meat Boy
8: Super Street Fighter IV
9: Starcraft II
10: Mass Effect 2

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
So...no Metro 2033. Okay, I can dig it. No Civ V, Borderlands, or New Vegas. Fair enough.

But Angry Birds, Reach, and SMG 2? Fuck off, TIME.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
If you are looking at Time for your video game news...

Seriously, just ignore anything Time tries to say about video games. They haven't a clue what they are talking about. I'm half surprised Pong and Super Mario Bros aren't on the list.

If they were even half serious about a video game effort they would include at least a small blurb on games in every issue. I'd take half a page in each magazine.

So, read Time, but not for their knowledge of video games.