TIME top 5 games of the year

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I'd put Heavy Rain and possibly Metro 2033 on that list. Definitely Heavy Rain. Angry Birds would be gone, replaced by Heavy Rain (though not necessarily in the same order), and... Metro 2033... hmm... would probably replace either Alan Wake or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Both great games, but Metro 2033 is amazing. That game doesn't get enough love.

EDIT: Wait, Mass Effect 2 came out this year, didn't it?!? What the crap, TIME? What is that game doing away from this list?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
So, we have ObsCure, an iPhone game (no witty comment; haven't played it), an arguably fun GTA clo...uh, you know what I mean..., Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy 1+. Huh.
Not that I dislike the last two specifically, but they were hardly groundbreaking, if you follow. Odd to place them on a pedestal like this.

Shinrae

Sep 15, 2010
JonnoStrife said:
Shinrae said:
BinkyStalls said:
thats a terrible list
It really is.

Although, this is the same people that voted 4chans moot as most influencial person last year... Says enough to be honest.
Anon E. Moose were the ones that voted Moot as man of the year. There was a vote on TIME.com or whatever and Anon blitzed it to get Moot to numero uno. Similarly, Anon also voted the age that actresses should start nude scenes should be changed to 6 years old. Haha, good times....

OT:Shit list. I whole heartedly agree.

I hadn't heard about the nude scenes to 6. Thanks for the laughs man, Just what I needed after a days work.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
It's not a bad list, frankly. It's just different. I'm actually thankful for the fact that Call of Duty or GT5 etc, are not on there.

They probably have a certain criteria for "top 5". Most unique perhaps, appealing to a certain demographic also, mayhap so. I give them credit for making an "off the beaten path" list. Otherwise, it would have looked like a corporate hand-out form.

Though I do have to say Angry Birds as a choice is a little bizarre, but hey, what I've heard about it is that it's fun and accessible, so be it. This list is for Time readers primarily, so put that into perspective. Then maybe you'll all figure out why Alan Wake is #1 here, and why the super-nationalist uber-patriotic violence-fest that is Call of Duty is not on there. Though, they did put Halo: Reach on there, which is surprising. Though again, it's probably due to the "accessible and popular long-standing franchise" theme. Halo isn't as bloody or violent as Call of Duty either, and the Halo franchise is known to splash humor into the mix, where COD does not.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Summary of this thread so far:

RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE MASS EFFECT 2 RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE FUCK THESE GUYS

Wasn't Angry Birds that iPhone game Yahtzee liked? I don't have an iPhone, so I can't be the judge on that.

RDR, I have heard very many good things about. Doesn't surprise me it's up there.

Alan Wake... the only reason I know of that game at all is because Yahtzee reviewed it (again). Perhaps the TIME guys just, I dunno, liked it? A lot? Jeeze people. Chill out.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, doesn't surprise me. Big popular franchise, in space. Sure it's a sequel, but so what, exactly? Games are allowed sequels.

Halo: Reach should be higher, as I know from experience it's awesome, but anyway I agree with its inclusion.

While I am a little surprised ME2 isn't on that list, it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of people who didn't like it, and plenty of people who did like it but consider other games to be better. Now why are we hating on this magazine again?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They get kudos for not putting fucking CoD on that list, although lose some for Halo: Reach.

Mass Effect 2 should be on everyone's list though.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
theComposer said:
I sense a distinct lack of Mass Effect 2. And an excess of agitated winged, bipedal, endothermic, egg-laying, vertebrate animals.
Quite. Angry Birds is a ridiculous choice over ME2.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
If only ME2 had been on there, I would have at least accepted it as a kind of "at least they're trying" thing. I know it's nr 10, but come on!! I didn't like Alan Wake at all. While that doesn't matter at all, objectively it was a mediocre game and it really doesn't deserve nr 1. And while Angry birds is just not my thing, it's a really good game. Not nr 2 good, but still good. So yeah, bad list. I think they just asked around the office, didn't even bother to find anyone that actually knew what they were talking about. I'm disappointed, TIME!
At least the VGAs got it right.