TIME top 5 games of the year

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
KEM10 said:
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
You forgot the other 5
6: Limbo
7: Super Meat Boy
8: Super Street Fighter IV
9: Starcraft II
10: Mass Effect 2
my list is from what they had in the magazine, im guessing you got the other 5 from their website

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Pssssssh if Fable 3 took mario galaxy and Fallout New Vegas took angry birds then yes that would a great list

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TIME needs to stop picking names out of a hat.

Not that I feel insulted that my favourites are missing, but this list just feels completely random.

Alan Wake on #1, seriously?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
1.Alan Wake: Not into horror. I played it some. It freaked me out too much, and I quit.
2.Angry Birds: Never heard of it
3.Red Dead Redemption: It's my #2 game of the year and one of my all time favorites
4.Halo:Reach: Never played it and I'm not into first-person shooters, so I'm not a good judge of this
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2: I can agree with this being on anyone's top 5, even maybe game of the year. It's not my game of the year, but it's an outstanding one for sure

Just remember, it's all subjective. But what the hell is Angry Birds?

Jack Cheal

Aug 25, 2010
the list isnt necessarily bad, you have to look at it from a none pure-gaming perspective, Angry birds is a casual title that has shifted millions
games like halo and red dead were gonna end up there no doubt, and galaxy was a dead cert considering the sort of people probably write this.
I have no idea why alan wake of all things is number one, i wouldv thought theyd go for New Vegas or CoD, but i dont make the lists.

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
I'm just gonna give my thoughts on why they chose Alan Wake and Angry Birds for the best games.

Alan Wake- It might be one of the only games I can think of this year that isn't a sequel or its mechanics are based heavily on another game. The story is original and interesting, as confusing as it may be, but the story is more of a book style than a movie style that most games go with. Its a unique game, which many games this year can't claim to be.

Angry Birds- With more people getting iPhones, I can actually see it logically on this list. Its fun and addictive, and it is easy to understand the mechanics. My only complaint is that it is a cut and paste copy of the 2008 games Crush the Castle.

Remember that Time isn't gonna go through every single game made this year, but they are going to go through atleast the ones that show up on the radar.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
They should bow their heads in shame for not mentioning Starcraft II. Ten frickin' years, one of the most anticipated games of the last gaming generations, and TIME doesn't even know what it is. I mean, I liked Alan Wake, but it's nowhere near the best game I've played this year. SCII, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and so on.

Shinrae

Sep 15, 2010
BinkyStalls said:
thats a terrible list
It really is.

Although, this is the same people that voted 4chans moot as most influencial person last year... Says enough to be honest.

Urialanis

Jun 14, 2008
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
No wonder people hate gamers if they think these are our top 5 games to play :/

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
The only game on there that does not make sense for Time to advertise is Alan Wake at Number 1. All the other games definitely have a place as the top ten games of the year (maybe not in that order, but they all have a place as a top game of this year).

Also, a few people are saying that Angry Birds is a copy of Crush the Castle. Yes, it is. Except for the perfect execution and transmission to a brand new medium, effectively employing the iPhone as a way to play games in the same way Farmville employs Facebook as a gaming medium. So, the physics are the same. The execution is totally different, and that is what matters.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It's bad, but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Angry Birds is the only one I question, and Alan Wake in the #1 spot. I can believe the rest of it.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
If anything, that's a very original list of Games of the Year. It's been a very busy year with a lot of good and awesome videogames, so picking a top 5 is a lot of trouble. Even if I try to pick 5 good games to be the best games of the year I will go through a lot of hassle.

What to pick? Bayonetta, Alan Wake, God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, Heavy rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Epic Mickey, Super Scribblenauts, Dead Rising 2, Limbo, Red Dead Redemption...I could go on but I won't XD This has been an awesome year for videogames, the best since 2007. I say that the TIME Magazine list is good as it is.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sean.Devlin said:
What's more funny is that people call the list terrible while proposing GT5, Street Fighter, Minecraft or Call of Duty. Fan rage Fail.
Umm maybe becuase some of those games are better then some on the list, espicaly Angry Birds.

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
i personally think that TIME has been dumbed down to a children's level overall in its publication, so the inclusion of the games such as Angry Birds and mario dont surprise me. but in all honesty, why is TIME even trying to do games at this point, they just look like they are hopping on the bandwagon now

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Why's everybody so aggro about this? Sure, the list is complete bollocks... but it's published by Time. It's not like Time's a games publication that we'd expect to know better.

I'm actually not in the least surprised they arsed it up. What surprises me is that people actually expected them to get it right. To me, that's kinda like expecting the Westboro cult to embrace Muslims and gays. On the same day. And then being annoyed when they go off on a tangent and yell racist obscenities or something. The only feeling that's left is "Why are you surprised?"